Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 24 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 04:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Deleting photos as you go?

Engineered_Reflex
Joined Apr 2014
Sep 24, 2016 04:34 |  #1

I've always left obvious dud photos on the memory card until they're imported into LR and then deleted them from inside LR out of a perhaps silly idea that deleting files then overwriting them in the field might increase the probability of corruption.

However, deleting half of my photos in LR (especially after waiting for them the be pointlessly imported and converted to DNG!) is a huge chore.

It would be much easier for me to delete when I'm chimping in the field and I would use fewer cards too. Is there really extra risk in doing this?

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 7D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF-S 10-18 STM, EF 35mm IS USM, EF 50 f1.8 STM & Sigma 150-600 C
http://www.aviationinc​amera.com (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 24, 2016 04:37 |  #2

Why not just cull them in the Lr import module? Normally I do a first round cull in the import module before downloading them into the computer.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Engineered_Reflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2014
Sep 24, 2016 04:43 as a reply to Scatterbrained's post |  #3

To be honest I'm usually too eager to get the good ones on a start editing to do the culling at this point. It would certainly be better than what I'm doing now though if I can just gain the self-discipline!

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 7D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF-S 10-18 STM, EF 35mm IS USM, EF 50 f1.8 STM & Sigma 150-600 C

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Sep 24, 2016 04:54 |  #4

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18138582 (external link)
I've always left obvious dud photos on the memory card until they're imported into LR and then deleted them from inside LR out of a perhaps silly idea that deleting files then overwriting them in the field might increase the probability of corruption.

However, deleting half of my photos in LR (especially after waiting for them the be pointlessly imported and converted to DNG!) is a huge chore.

It would be much easier for me to delete when I'm chimping in the field and I would use fewer cards too. Is there really extra risk in doing this?

It shouldn't be an extra risk deleting in the field and this is what the delete button is there for after all. However, carefully cared for cards which are formatted in the camera every time they're installed (mine are) have still corrupted. It's not been proved to me tho that this was caused by deleting images or simple card breakdown.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Engineered_Reflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2014
Sep 24, 2016 04:57 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #5

Thanks for that. I also have a feeling that formatting the card in the camera before use is probably the most important thing for their health.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Sep 24, 2016 05:03 |  #6

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18138592 (external link)
Thanks for that. I also have a feeling that formatting the card in the camera before use is probably the most important thing for their health.

Agreed.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Sep 24, 2016 13:15 |  #7

The only risk of deleting files as you go, at least from my own personal experience, is pre-judging the quality and subtle details that can be easily missed or overlooked through the tiny screen on the back of the camera.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 24, 2016 13:34 |  #8

If you regularly format your cards, in-camera, and don't keep your cards jam packed full of images, there should be no increased risk of corruption.

I delete when I can while shooting.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Narwhal
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Brazil
Sep 24, 2016 13:43 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #9

I rename my files after I transfer them to my computer using a personal renumbering scheme. Any missing pictures disrupts my scheme.

And I agree, that except for obvious pictures of the inside of the lens cap and my feet, sometimes doubtful photos in the field contain hidden surprises.

JIM

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Sep 24, 2016 13:56 |  #10

Also, reviewing/deleting in-camera will use up your battery faster, and depending on what you're shooting, you could be missing action while staring into the screen and zooming in/around etc. So, if you're short on batteries, probably not a good idea, but if you're running short on storage, maybe it makes sense.

All New Year, All New Sig !

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 24, 2016 14:22 |  #11

I have deleted images for years, sometime in camera, sometimes via PC and without any issues. But a card always starts fresh being formatted by the camera.

Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Sep 24, 2016 16:50 |  #12

One method I often use is to lock the best images in camera. Then only import the locked files, saves importing excess into LR. Once you've processed and you're happy with the results, then delete/format the card. So still effectively sorting in camera, but with no risk of deleting the wrong one.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Sep 25, 2016 17:11 |  #13

I never delete images via the camera. When I have my camera in hand...it's there for one reason, to take photos...not to post process. Have plenty of time at home to adequately judge which photos need purging.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sep 26, 2016 03:57 |  #14

Hogloff wrote in post #18140208 (external link)
I never delete images via the camera. When I have my camera in hand...it's there for one reason, to take photos...not to post process. Have plenty of time at home to adequately judge which photos need purging.

quoted for truth...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Sep 26, 2016 13:01 |  #15

Engineered_Reflex wrote in post #18138582 (external link)

I chimp to ensure everything is working as expected: I've generally got the right exposure; I'm catching focus correctly. Recently I was photographing a model in Grand Central Terminal (NYC), and it was sufficiently dark with some interesting backlighting that caused me to not get AF lock the way I expected. A bit of slowing down corrected that.

I never delete photos while on a shoot. I'm there to take photos, not edit them. Even when I'm in a studio situation, I won't delete photos when viewing photos on a computer. I'm looking for the best, not the worst. For me, those are two different mindsets.

Memory cards are cheap. Disk space is cheap. While I don't "spray and pray", I take more photos than needed. I take the good and work with them. I'll sometimes delete the dreck. The good I don't use I keep. Occasionally there's a nugget of photographic gold in there. Memory cards are cheap. Disk space is cheap.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

sponsored links

3,310 views & 15 likes for this thread
Deleting photos as you go?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.