Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 19 May 2016 (Thursday) 16:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting for a stage show

Derptography
87 posts
Joined May 2016
May 19, 2016 16:54 |  #1

A friend of mine needed some promo shots for a comedy show he does. I wanted to work the crates - which are central to the act and display the name of the act - into the pictures, and he requested I use the garage he practices in.

All things considered, not perfect, but not bad for a first try.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Derptography
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined May 2016
May 19, 2016 16:55 |  #2

The photo of them backlit was muffed - I should've had a flash behind each of them, and the dome diffuser I used threw too much light on the background. Next time, I'll just use the wide diffuser and get two separate flashes.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
May 21, 2016 17:47 |  #3

I enjoyed these, thanks for posting.

Derptography
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined May 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Derptography.
May 22, 2016 13:31 |  #4

Micro5797 wrote in post #18014520 (external link)
I enjoyed these, thanks for posting.

If you liked these, you should see the show! (TSTMRKT: Coming to a bar near you, very probably.)

This was my first (mangled) attempt at a three-light setup using a massive Buff PLM outside the garage, a beauty dish on a boom (that had positioning issues galore, since rectified) and a speedlight with a sto-fen in the background.

I need waaaaay more practice. And for the stupid PLM diffuser to @!$#@! show up. More importantly, I'm also still mangling Lightroom - after adjusting exposure and contrast, skin tones always end up orange.

Suggestions are most welcome.

ranmasu
Joined Jul 2009
Los Angeles, California
May 23, 2016 21:10 |  #5

I like these. The first is the best to me though. Not sure about the last one. Overall, you did a great job.

Randy

nofuze
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2013
Toronto, Ont.
Sep 25, 2016 20:01 |  #6

Very nice set. #2 could use a bit of fill to open up the male's deep set eye sockets.

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Jul 28, 2017 01:40 |  #7

okay, im VERY late to the game but heres my $0.02

i try to avoid symetry in most cases and in #1, both artists leaning on the cases in nearly identical manner and their "heads on their hands on the cases" looks a little boring, i guess is the word im looking for. i would have maybe had him pose more like she is, and maybe had her cross her arms on the case and then put her chin on her arms?

or maybe sit one of them down on one of the cases?

i like the last one, but maybe if his head is turned not quite so far off camera so as to give a little bit of "breaking the 4th wall" and a just barely percepitible smirk or (an expression that maybe goes along with their show). hes turned too far to the side and becomes a bit more of a spectator/prop/assista​nt to her the main character...

i think the lighting looks great (i need LOTS of help working on lighting) but otherwise my untrained eye likes these...

sponsored links

2,584 views & 1 like for this thread
Shooting for a stage show
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.