Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Oct 2016 (Sunday) 19:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What strobes should i get?

DJ ­ JIGGLER
251 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Salem / Las Vegas
Oct 02, 2016 19:19 |  #1

I'm wanting to do more strobe work with Cars, Catalog photos of products and red carpet style events. I have really only used a few speed lights w/ pocket wizards before never used a strobe.

What kind of strobe and light modifiers should i start out with?

Thinking about the Einstein E640 though.

Thanks in advanced.

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

sponsored links
TerryMiller
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 02, 2016 19:36 |  #2

I'd invest in the newer battery operated ettl and high speed sync capable strobes if it were me. There's a list in this thread. http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​425184. All have some way to control the lights remotely.

The built in battery allows you to use it outdoors with no fuss. HSS allows you to use a high shutter speed outdoors to achieve a narrow depth of field outdoors.

Ettl can be a mixed blessing but many find it useful. It tends to underexpose very light scenes and overexpose very dark scenes. The strobes can still be operated in manual if different clothing or backgrounds is causing exposure to change too much.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 05, 2016 13:32 |  #3

I have 4 Einsteins and if I had to do it again I would not have invested in them...why????

Lack of versatility even though I have PCB Lithium packs.

I'm on the casual hunt for a TTL/HSS strobe setup so theres no need to fuss with ND filters.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Oct 05, 2016 14:30 |  #4

It appears to me that the Phottix Indra doesn't seem too popular on this forum for whatever reason. I think it's because the Flashpoint Xplor or the other brand names it sells under are so much cheaper while still providing comparable features.

That said, why I would still recommend the Phottix for is the eco-system. The monolights and speedlights all talk to each other and can trigger one another and you need one trigger on camera that can do everything on all units, from TTL and HSS, to zooming the flashes to increasing/decreasing the Indra's modeling light. The flashes also trigger the strobes and vice versa.

With other systems, you have to have a trigger for your flashes and another for the monolights, and if you get lucky and get a trigger than can control both, you lose some feature or the other, usually TTL, HSS or both.

BJ_Nguyen
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Oct 05, 2016 14:50 |  #5

I'm using Xplor 600 TTL now and so happy that make my life easier on location shoots. Still have the Rovelight 600 for home studio !

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 05, 2016 19:17 |  #6

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #18149175 (external link)
I'm using Xplor 600 TTL now and so happy that make my life easier on location shoots. Still have the Rovelight 600 for home studio !

hmm I'm gonna look into all of the "new blood" strobes sold these days. No more nd filters or max flash sync limitations for me in the next purchase of lights!!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 05, 2016 19:37 |  #7

I will first say that I don't have direct experience in photographing cars. Having said that, as a generalization, photos of cars used to involve giant softboxs filled with multiple heads that support 4000 w-s of power each (into a single head). Monolights simply are outclassed by power packs and heads because of the massive power supply and power capacitors needed to put a 4000 w-s burst into a head. It would take more that SIX of the Einsteins to even equal a single 4000 w-s head

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 06, 2016 16:59 |  #8

I think that if someone is shooting a automobile, then the modifiers would cost more than the 4K w/s head/pack system. I have a Speedotron system, and it would work well for shooting the cars. I use the fan-less 103 head for interiors since it is more compact. Hell.. most pack/head systems have tiny heads so they can get in the small corners to fill it out. And the 105 heads are fast enough at full power, and as you use less power ; they get faster flash durations.

But I also think that monolights are convenient and easy to learn. But whether which system you choose, you should look into the system itself. Whether it has a large family of modifiers to shape the light. Also if you travel with gear, do the system have a rental in the cities you work from.. I have several systems for different uses.. What I use is Speedotron, Broncolor, and Elinchrom.

DJ ­ JIGGLER
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Salem / Las Vegas
Nov 27, 2016 22:28 |  #9

These TTL heads seem a bit out of my price range for now.. Even though i really want TTL. Gota 5Dmk4 to save up for..

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

anthonycruzphoto
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Foster City, CA
Nov 30, 2016 12:39 |  #10

I can't speak to photographing cars, but I invested in Einstein's a year ago and love compared to speedlights. For me, the wider array of light modifiers makes it worth it. I also use the Cyber Commander which is awesome because I can change the power output from the shooting position and not have to get up. This comes in handy on editorial assignments when I can afford an assistant and don't have to run back and forth to the lights to push the power up and down. The biggest downfall for me was the amount of gear I have to take on assignment feels like it increased ten fold. I don't use TTL because the light situation doesn't change very drastically in editorial portraiture. Between a light meter and chimping from the LCD I can get in the ballpark pretty quickly.

I also love the option of plugging the strobes into a wall socket if you are shooting indoors. I hated having to use AA batteries.

Like the people said above, for cars conventional wisdom says you want to go with the biggest modifiers possible. Einsteins are also way more powerful, which I imagine is valuable when shooting outdoors.

Sorry to ramble, I hope this helps.

www.ANTHONYCRUZPHOTO.c​omexternal link

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Angmo.
Nov 30, 2016 14:21 |  #11

Wow.

You're looking at a huge difference in work and power.

Suggest you rent gear forever or until you know what you'd prefer investing in. Will you be in studio or on the street.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sponsored links

2,109 views & 3 likes for this thread
What strobes should i get?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.