Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 13:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, reviewed by Lester Wareham

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Lester Wareham (showing now: Lester Wareham)
Overall Rating9.5
Value for Money9.5
Must Have9.5
Got What I Expected10
Build Quality9.5
Carrying Comfort9
Fast Shooting7.5
Durability8.5
Compartment Logic9
Versatility9.5
Security9.5
Weather Protection9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Lowepro Flipside 500 AW

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Dec 02, 2014 13:44 |  #1

I use this bag when I need to carry more kit than I can accommodate in my flipside 400. Downside is it is quite bulky.
Very useful features of these bags are:

a) Place on the ground and go through the back for the main compartment so your cloths remain clean and dry.
b) Two straps on top for securing additional clothing layers.
c) Large pouch on the opposite side from the main compartment for odds and ends and small items like hats, gloves, reflectors, batteries.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links
nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 28, 2015 12:14 |  #2

A great bag in many respects.

I am disappointed by the weakish elastic mesh pouches on both sides. They easliy get distended and offer little support for bulky items.
I would welcome the tripod strap at a higher position to really avoid any tilting of the tripod on rough terrain. I loop another strap through the sturdy upper carrying handle of the Flipside 500AW to avoid that sort of problem.

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Jan 28, 2015 12:33 |  #3

it's my main bag for travel, fits a ton of stuff. The mesh bags on the sides are junk, I never liked mesh bags unless they're for a wet swimsuit or something like that. I just don't use them. But other than that it's a great bag, very comfortable to carry even fully packed, mine scales in at over 30lb when full. I've carried it around for entire days with no problem, I don't ever leave my gear in the car.

To go smaller but still fit my Tammy 150-600 I just got the Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L AW, also a great bag, fitted for a camelback bladder. I love the flipside idea (other brands offer this back access too) since it's much safer in a crowd. Nobody can get at your essential gear.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Jan 28, 2015 13:20 |  #4

On the mesh pouches, I mostly use one for a 1ltr water bottle and the other for a kneeling pad (folded up bit of thick material ~1x1 metre from a gardening store).

I have not had any trouble with the pouches for this use yet, but clearly they are only intended for lighter items.

On the tripod mount; A perennial problem for me is I don't like the position on the rear. I have a bad back and I find attaching a 'pod to this point makes the CoG too far back and gives me problems. A side mount would be preferable for me (like Karta bags?), but in the end I just carry the pod or use a 'pod strap.

Gear List

nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 29, 2015 10:35 as a reply to Lester Wareham's post |  #5

True, that combination in case of back problems is plain murder, but as I need two free hands when hiking amidst rocks and on very uneven and slippery ground I have found no alternative for the tripod especially when I have the gimbal mounted.

I also use a one liter bottle with a convenient loop in the screw top that enables me to secure it with a long velcro strap looped through the lateral sliplock fixture. That saves it from dangling around. On the other side I often attach collapsible hiking sticks but miss a strap where the mesh pouch hangs. Perhaps I will end up sewing one on the bag as I did with my old Flipside 400 AW

@phantelope

Comfortable to a point though. When the bag is fully loaded in warm weather you come to miss the type of ventilation found in Deuter backpacks, but then again these are not really suited for photo gear unless you customize them with inserts and such things. You can't have it all it seems, but I think we are close to it with the Flipside. 500 AW ;-)a

potinam
35 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Atlanta, GA
Jul 19, 2016 20:55 |  #6

I have the 400 and looking for to upgrade to 500 version. Thanks for the review.

Mesmer
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Oct 07, 2016 14:07 |  #7

nordlysBW wrote in post #17404257 (external link)
I would welcome the tripod strap at a higher position to really avoid any tilting of the tripod on rough terrain. I loop another strap through the sturdy upper carrying handle of the Flipside 500AW to avoid that sort of problem.

The two straps on either side can be clipped together giving your tripod support at a higher position than the single intended tripod strap. When both of these are used it holds the tripod quite nicely. I agree though about the position of the intended tripod strap.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | 35 1.4 | 85L II | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | E640 | (2) 580ex ii | 430ex ii

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Oct 07, 2016 14:43 |  #8

Mesmer wrote in post #18150964 (external link)
The two straps on either side can be clipped together giving your tripod support at a higher position than the single intended tripod strap. When both of these are used it holds the tripod quite nicely. I agree though about the position of the intended tripod strap.

I have tried this, but even a small tripod sits high, a full size 'pod would be very high.

Each to his own but it didn't work for me.

To carry a pod I use a 'pod strap on my sholder (head low) and keep it in place using the pack chest strap, this keeps the centre of gravity low.

Gear List

rolly
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Oct 21, 2016 15:49 |  #9

I really like this pack. It holds a lot of equipment and I have a tendency to try to carry to much. I have to agree, carrying a tripod on this is not ideal.

sponsored links

6,970 views & 4 likes for this thread
Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, reviewed by Lester Wareham
FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.