Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 20 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 18:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

panasonic 12-35 2,8 or 14-140 f3.5-5.6

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jan 20, 2016 18:42 |  #1

i'm about to take a journey into the M4/3 world ,, trying to decide between a gh4 or G7.. was considering a gx8 because of the in body image stabiliztation .. but then i found out that it doesnt apply to video..but anyway perhaps i will make a differnent post for that decision

The setup im trying to make will be used for street photography , travel , walk around but also video ( of vacations , trips etc.)

the obvious difference in these two are aperture which is in the 12-35 favor (2,8 vs. 3.5-5.6), the 12-35 is "splash resistant" while the 14-140 is not..
but the 14-140 has whole lot more reach..

the question here is in terms of IQ , is there a drastic difference?

unfortuneatly there arent as many review for these lenses as there are for canon or nikon,, lens comparison reviews are even more rare..
from the few that i've seen , things seem split,some saying 12-35 is a whole lot better , while others saying the quality is only noticable if you are pixel peeping..

any input would be appreciated

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

PipesInTune
187 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Scranton, PA
Oct 11, 2016 08:28 |  #2

First of all, I shoot with a GH3 and two G5's. As long as the lens is stabilized, so is the video. It doesn't matter still or video.

I have used both lenses. For weddings and general shooting, the 12-35 is terrific.

For VIDEO, I think the 14-140 is great. The camera behaves more like a camcorder with this lens, as you don't run out of zoom range.

The downside is the speed. If you're outdoors, no problem. Inside can be a bit tricky. I just recently shot a summer wedding with an outdoor reception using the 14-140 and it was excellent.
If that reception was indoors, I would have had to use lights either way, but the 12-35 wold have been a better option. In the end, they're tools that work for different applications.

You can't go wrong with the 12-35. And I believe Panasonic is coming out with another option in the 12-60 (24-120 equiv) that may be a nice alternative.

I would consider renting if you need to. It's a great way to use the lens for a job and then just send it back, saving you lots of $.

2,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
panasonic 12-35 2,8 or 14-140 f3.5-5.6
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.