Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 11, 2016 19:41 |  #8611

mltn wrote in post #18154511 (external link)
Oh man, go for it! I hear ya on the budget stuff, but it could also add a killer shot to your portfolio.

That's true...maybe the next insane house I do I should.

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,867 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 11, 2016 21:18 |  #8612

seaLere wrote in post #18154536 (external link)
That's true...maybe the next insane house I do I should.

It might be a good idea to show before/after images to justify a higher charge to the broker, but with all the drones out there, I don't know.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 11, 2016 21:56 |  #8613

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18154584 (external link)
It might be a good idea to show before/after images to justify a higher charge to the broker, but with all the drones out there, I don't know.

Well I assumed I wouldn't do it for real estate but for custom homes. I always charge more.

I also have a drone for when people want it.

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Oct 12, 2016 08:05 |  #8614

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8557/29647062194_aa5f5d6ccb_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MaNW​GJ] (external link)Charlottesville-1 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 12, 2016 09:56 |  #8615

Great shot right here. Not much to really nitpick except on the side of the island the white balance from flash is different from the rest of the room. I would either paint in a tad of ambient or at least brush in some warmer temperature there (Chair also casts a small hard shadow). Really nice shot overall though.

On another note, does anyone think it's worth snagging a rokinon 14mm 2.8 for just small bedrooms? I have found that this 17-40 has less of a wide angle than my 17-35. That's great for the distortion aspect, but I feel like I can't get in small rooms as much as I would like. That would be about the only time I would use that lens is small real estate rooms.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,529 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 12, 2016 10:02 |  #8616

seaLere wrote in post #18154377 (external link)
Thanks for the input! I definitely agree with the composition and getting more the entrance. The crap thing about all the houses in that developement (I shot 3 so far), is that they're all on big damn hills! I wanted to go more in front than the side but I would have been down about 7 feet in elevation. I was torn if I wanted to stay on the high ground and get a mediocre composition or shoot uphill a bunch. Maybe I went the wrong way!

I don't shoot homes but wouldn't a focal length from little far work better than wide angle lens?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 12, 2016 10:37 |  #8617

bobbyz wrote in post #18154926 (external link)
I don't shoot homes but wouldn't a focal length from little far work better than wide angle lens?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I am already in the doorway with no room to move back further if that's what you mean. It would be situational for only small rooms.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Oct 12, 2016 10:48 |  #8618

seaLere wrote in post #18154954 (external link)
I'm not sure what you mean here. I am already in the doorway with no room to move back further if that's what you mean. It would be situational for only small rooms.

I believe Bobby is referring to the exterior shot. Instead of using wide angle, I believe he's asking about moving back and using a longer focal length.

My Gear

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 12, 2016 11:29 |  #8619

runninmann wrote in post #18154973 (external link)
I believe Bobby is referring to the exterior shot. Instead of using wide angle, I believe he's asking about moving back and using a longer focal length.

Ohhhh, my bad I misread the quote he was referring too. That is an option if there is a higher point worth shooting from but for me this doesn't work for twilight shots. Unfortunately the distance of my phone/light triggers is only about 100 yrds max so if I get too far away I'm going to run into a bunch of misfiring. That's usually why I try to go with the 17-40 and stay closer to 40.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Oct 12, 2016 15:55 |  #8620

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5218/29927392460_1867419b8b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MAzH​8b] (external link)Untitled (external link) by Ricardo Pestana (external link), on Flickr

New Museum of Art Architecture and Tecnology in Lisbon

www.maat.pt (external link)

;-)a

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 12, 2016 18:35 |  #8621

So how the hell do some people like Mike Kelley get such nice shots even in bright sunlight? He has one on his website gallery with a person walking and it still looks good. What's the secret?! I have a HUGE job to do but I'm preparing for mid day exterior :/

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mltn.
Oct 12, 2016 18:37 |  #8622

seaLere wrote in post #18155367 (external link)
So how the hell do some people like Mike Kelley get such nice shots even in bright sunlight? He has one on his website gallery with a person walking and it still looks good. What's the secret?! I have a HUGE job to do but I'm preparing for mid day exterior :/

Which shot?

Oh and I have faced similar 6D range issues as you talk about. Do you tether to your phone or a tablet? I got a cheap wifi extending case, and that helped quite a bit. You could also look into using radios to trigger the camera from a long distance. You could leave your tethering device at the end of the range and check it periodically.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Oct 12, 2016 20:20 |  #8623

mltn wrote in post #18155368 (external link)
Which shot?

Oh and I have faced similar 6D range issues as you talk about. Do you tether to your phone or a tablet? I got a cheap wifi extending case, and that helped quite a bit. You could also look into using radios to trigger the camera from a long distance. You could leave your tethering device at the end of the range and check it periodically.

This photo (Photo credit to Mike Kelley of mpkelley.com).

I don't get how it's blended so well and not too bright or dark anywhere. I can never get anything good with mid day stuff.

And yes, I'm tethering to my iPad usually and sometimes iPhone. Using the TPLink router with qdslrdashboard. The distance from that is generally good but my yongnuo 622's are what seem to max out.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by joooowan. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 12, 2016 20:41 |  #8624

seaLere wrote in post #18155470 (external link)

I don't get how it's blended so well and not too bright or dark anywhere. I can never get anything good with mid day stuff.

And yes, I'm tethering to my iPad usually and sometimes iPhone. Using the TPLink router with qdslrdashboard. The distance from that is generally good but my yongnuo 622's are what seem to max out.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by seaLere in
./showthread.php?p=181​55470&i=i56263152
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Layers, I know for sure he brackets, the sky looks replaced, and I know he waits a long time for the sun(shadows actually) to be in the perfect position to nail a shot.

edit: Looks like he might have had a strobe or 2 in that shot to pull the shadowy parts of the tree.

CC welcome.

Pippan
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Oct 12, 2016 20:55 |  #8625

seaLere wrote in post #18155470 (external link)

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by seaLere in
./showthread.php?p=181​55470&i=i56263152
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Great composition, especially the framing with the trees.

sponsored links

1,206,641 views & 1192 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.