Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mdvaden.
Oct 13, 2016 02:14 |  #2026

bobbyz wrote in post #18155553 (external link)
^^ Nice shots. Two commenst:

1. Dress needs to match the surroundings
2. Loose the trees. Don't know why people still use them as props

The person who posted after you, who quoted your comment about the dress, must not notice how the black dress just doesn't jive, especially with the dark bench.

You have an interesting point about trees.

I notice them a lot because I'm an arborist. My biggest issue with trees, is if I want to use lighting. Lighting removes the natural shadows in bark that come from light that should spill down from above. So more and more I'm trying to avoid people next to tree trunks or do something different that does not light the bark.

So my thoughts are use them or avoid them. Just depends.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Oct 13, 2016 10:41 |  #2027

mdvaden wrote in post #18155695 (external link)
The person who posted after you, who quoted your comment about the dress, must not notice how the black dress just doesn't jive, especially with the dark bench.

I'm the person who asked about the meaning of the "dress needs to match the surroundings".

Please explain why the black dress "just doesn't jive" in that picture. The "dark bench" is dark gray. The BG is mostly green. What color should the photographer have told the young lady to wear to the shoot?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

rowdy
Joined Jul 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Oct 13, 2016 10:56 |  #2028

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18155849 (external link)
I'm the person who asked about the meaning of the "dress needs to match the surroundings".

Please explain why the black dress "just doesn't jive" in that picture. The "dark bench" is dark gray. The BG is mostly green. What color should the photographer have told the young lady to wear to the shoot?

Personally, when lit properly as it is in the image in question, IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the black dress. Yes another color would have provided more contrast, but the young lady chose to wear a black dress that she obviously liked, and the photog went with it. Unless it's a super high paying magazine/fashion session, it's ludicrous to expect a photog to control every minor detail down to the color of apparel, again JMO, but what do I know?

Buckeye1
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Oct 13, 2016 11:47 |  #2029

I always encourage them to wear whatever makes them feel great and special; it is their day after all. I do like to see their "outfit" before hand and try to determine a good location/background to go with those colors and personalities.

I love black on female as that make them look thinner...they know that too :-)

Btw, the black shirt/blouse on the bench looks fine to me...I think we are talking about the same image.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Oct 13, 2016 12:19 |  #2030

rowdy wrote in post #18155858 (external link)
Personally, when lit properly as it is in the image in question, IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the black dress. Yes another color would have provided more contrast, but the young lady chose to wear a black dress that she obviously liked, and the photog went with it. Unless it's a super high paying magazine/fashion session, it's ludicrous to expect a photog to control every minor detail down to the color of apparel, again JMO, but what do I know?

Buckeye1 wrote in post #18155886 (external link)
I always encourage them to wear whatever makes them feel great and special; it is their day after all. I do like to see their "outfit" before hand and try to determine a good location/background to go with those colors and personalities.

I love black on female as that make them look thinner...they know that too :-)

Btw, the black shirt/blouse on the bench looks fine to me...I think we are talking about the same image.

I totally agree. That's why I asked my initial question. I don't understand the "dress matching concept" OR "the black dress just doesn't jive" idea. I think she looks terrific, and the shot is flattering to her. She obviously knows what works for her.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,521 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by bobbyz. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 13, 2016 20:27 as a reply to post 18155590 |  #2031

The black dress that she is wearing doesn't go well with green trees, grass and the park back ground. Same shot in a cityscape or some nice building as bg would work much better. I don't care it is their day, I am the one taking the pictures and I control what looks the best, be it the lighting, the pose, the location and yes the dress. Now if all they have is one dress, then so be it but if you have a choice please select the dress which works with rest of the stuff. Just my 2 cents. That is all I am saying.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

jwilson
332 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Western Michigan
Oct 14, 2016 06:55 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #2032

You may be the one taking the pictures but she's the one paying your wages! It's one thing to recommend, it's another to demand....

Canon 7D, Canon 20d x 2, Canon Dig Rebel, Canon Rebel 2000, Minolta Maxxum 5, Minolta Maxxum 400si, and Yashicamat 124g
Lenses - alot but never enough!!!!

rowdy
Joined Jul 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Oct 14, 2016 08:20 |  #2033

bobbyz wrote in post #18156281 (external link)
The black dress that she is wearing doesn't go well with green trees, grass and the park back ground. Same shot in a cityscape or some nice building as bg would work much better. I don't care it is their day, I am the one taking the pictures and I control what looks the best, be it the lighting, the pose, the location and yes the dress. Now if all they have is one dress, then so be it but if you have a choice please select the dress which works with rest of the stuff. Just my 2 cents. That is all I am saying.

With all due respect bobbyz, we are paid to photograph, advise and lead, not play God. And "the black dress that she is wearing doesn't go well with green trees, grass and the park back ground" OPINION is nothing more than personal taste or style. The OP captured a good image, one that I'm sure the client was happy with, which at the end of the day, is all that matters. You are a fantastic photographer, but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Since coming back to the forums here, I've read many of your "responses", and I would really like to see more "advice" from great photographers like yourself, more so than interjecting the SUBJECTIVE, personality based choices. Maybe it's just the way the keyboard "sounds". Maybe that is your advice. If so, I apologize, it just seems condescending most of the time.

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Kingman, Arizona - United States
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by LisaJH.
Oct 14, 2016 09:42 |  #2034

Thank you guys! Here are 2 more of Calista.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5619/29897998000_9947683e9e_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8269/29898205260_c43666ee39_o.jpg

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

rowdy
Joined Jul 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Oct 14, 2016 09:49 |  #2035

LisaJH wrote in post #18156658 (external link)
Thank you guys! Here are 2 more of Calista.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Lisa, both of these are great! IMO. But the second one is "off the chain"! Love it!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,521 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 14, 2016 10:53 |  #2036

rowdy wrote in post #18156611 (external link)
Maybe it's just the way the keyboard "sounds". Maybe that is your advice. If so, I apologize, it just seems condescending most of the time.

Me, sorry, I wouldn't say anything and hang in this thread anymore. Good luck.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

jwilson
332 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Western Michigan
Oct 14, 2016 12:52 as a reply to LisaJH's post |  #2037

Wow...been enjoying your pics of your daughter for ages...she's growing up to be a beautiful young lady who takes awesome photos...you have to be proud.

Canon 7D, Canon 20d x 2, Canon Dig Rebel, Canon Rebel 2000, Minolta Maxxum 5, Minolta Maxxum 400si, and Yashicamat 124g
Lenses - alot but never enough!!!!

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 14, 2016 14:21 |  #2038

Here's one from a very quick mini senior session.

She's standing in a driveway with scrap corrugated steel leaned on the garage door behind her. Lighting is a single Einstein and softbox.

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/jb_1038.jpg

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
New Jersey
Oct 14, 2016 15:09 as a reply to scobols's post |  #2039

Good background idea.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, 550ex & 580ex, Nikon SB-28's x2, AB800 x3, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and Zoom Li-on R2, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 17, 2016 01:25 |  #2040

Intheswamp wrote in post #17614441 (external link)
Great work, Kristen!!! Two hours...efficient use of time!!! I would imagine that the mother and daughter being prepared with props and wardrobe was a big help in this particular shoot being as you have such a varied assortment of images/dress... ?

Ed

YankeeMom wrote in post #17614444 (external link)
This one was actually closer to 3 hours because our timing was off (due to some traveling.) Typically, I limit the wardrobe changes to 3 in total, but I gave some leeway this time because they are good friends of ours. But, yes, they had everything fully prepared -- down to the stickers on the suitcase! Made my job SO easy. :)

It may not be practical for others. But to prepare for a transition from tree care to photography, I bought a medium roof Ford Transit van, and can cover all the windows, provide seating and hanging hooks.

In essence, it provides a clean, private changing room that can move site to site. I could literally pull off 5 outfits in 2 hours if need be. Due to all the space the van has, I don't even have to disassemble a softbox, although, usually it's just an umbrella, reflector or bare flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links

541,019 views & 1385 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.