Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 02, 2016 06:59 as a reply to  @ post 17882012 |  #16

Or, just don't put coins, keys, or fingernail clippers in the same pocket along with the batteries.

sponsored links
dexy101
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2016 06:31 |  #17

Are batteries that expensive? I paid $4300 for my camera and I don't find $186 for a new battery that much in the grand scheme of things. I like keeping with the brand of camera I have and their genuine batteries.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,081 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 03, 2016 11:05 |  #18

dexy101 wrote in post #17884110 (external link)
Are batteries that expensive? I paid $4300 for my camera and I don't find $186 for a new battery that much in the grand scheme of things. I like keeping with the brand of camera I have and their genuine batteries.

I bought my camera slightly used to save $800. If I can get two batteries for $25 that each work 90% as well as a single $50 Canon battery, I'll do it.

stevewf1
770 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2016 06:06 |  #19

Tapeman wrote in post #17881622 (external link)
I know I'm spending more than I have to, but I have used only Canon's batteries. Considering a battery lasts me 4-5 years, I am worry free.

Same here. When I budget (HA!) for a new camera, I make sure I don't cheap out on batteries or memory cards.

Steve

stevewf1
770 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2016 06:09 |  #20

mike_d wrote in post #17881861 (external link)
I try not to leave any battery charging unattended if I can avoid it, especially lithiums.

I NEVER leave a battery charging unattended. NEVER. If it's not finished charging at bedtime or if I have to leave, I unplug everything and continue charging later.

Steve

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,325 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 10, 2016 09:07 |  #21

For my 5dmk2 and 5d3 only use Canon OE batteries. I will spend the extra money knowing those batteries will hold charge properly for a good 5years of use. Buying OE you should have a piece of mind! sterlingtek batteries have been used in the past and I will never ever buy such low quality batteries ever again.

Oddly enough as I lower my priorities I purchased DSTE 3rd party batteries for my Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic GH3 Micro 4/3 camera's. My take is the GH3's battery will last easily an entire day but having a supplemental backup battery is "safe". My Olympus E-M5 battery is horrible to begin with and buying a pair of DSTE just keeps that setup alive for a day which is good enough for casual use.

The DSTE batteries i purchased from Amazon seems to work. I have no faith in 3rd party batteries but for the cheap price it's ok for non crucial casual photography. Some 3rd party batteries can swell and get stuck in the camera body. 3rd party is cheap for a reason. Usually the battery cells are NOT from the same OE battery manufacturer.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2016 18:28 |  #22

dexy101 wrote in post #17884110 (external link)

I do mind when there is only £10 ($15) worth of cells, at most, in the pack! For comparison I bought a cheap torch 4 years ago and it had 3 x 18650 cells (same as used in LP-E4N) with it (cost about £11) yet they hold charge better and have higher capacity then both my LP-E4 and 2 years younger LP-E4N packs?!? + they came with 2 chargers (mains and 12V) + a nice metal torch! All you get with Canon is a plastic case, a chip to stop you using non OEM batteries and a BIG bill!

To be fair Canon batteries are reliable and they do exactly what you would expect according to their specifications regarding capacity and like many Lithium based batteries they don't last very long - 3 maybe 4 years at most. Back in 2005 I bought 5 non OEM Bp511 batteries (had 2 cameras that ran on them) all giving higher capacity in mid 2014 than the Canons ever did (they were all dead by 2010) and as far as I know from the new owner they are still going fine.
Like you I own a 1DX, I get two days at most from my 2 Canon originals and 3 from my non OEM's at 1/10 the price.

I am not having a go at you - FAR from it! I just hate to see people wasting money on inferior products. There are far better batteries out there than the Canon originals though, to be fair, there is some rubbish as well!:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mcoren
412 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 21, 2016 15:04 |  #23

Timza wrote in post #17880941 (external link)
Lenmar?

Digipower?

I bought a Lenmar battery for my T2i. I didn't use it right away and left it in the sealed package in my bedroom closet for about a year. When I went to use it, it was completely dead and wouldn't take any charge.

I know rechargeable batteries don't have unlimited storage time, but I wouldn't expect it to be completely dead in only a year in unopened factory condition and a climate controlled environment. I guess that's why it cost 1/4 what a Canon battery would have cost.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Oct 15, 2016 13:20 |  #24

After this thread and some research on Amazon, I have been buying Wasabi batteries and chargers on Amazon and have not had any problems. I wanted to buy something cheaper than the original batteries, but was willing to pay a little more than the mystery generic batteries go for. So far these are working for me.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,107 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Archibald.

Oct 15, 2016 14:01 |  #25

mcoren wrote in post #17907175 (external link)
I bought a Lenmar battery for my T2i. I didn't use it right away and left it in the sealed package in my bedroom closet for about a year. When I went to use it, it was completely dead and wouldn't take any charge.

I know rechargeable batteries don't have unlimited storage time, but I wouldn't expect it to be completely dead in only a year in unopened factory condition and a climate controlled environment. I guess that's why it cost 1/4 what a Canon battery would have cost.

Just noticed this post now.

Lithium ion batteries are not like alkalines or many other batteries. They must never be allowed to fully discharge. If they reach zero volts, the cells degrade chemically. Li-ion cells contain a chip to prevent the device they are in to fully discharge them. The capacity will be reported as 0% even when there is reserve capacity left. The reserve capacity is there to protect the cells.

If the battery reaches zero capacity, the device won't run, but there will always be some leakage current in the battery. This is true of loose batteries in their original packaging too. That leakage current will eventually drain off the remaining reserve capacity. After a while, that causes chemical damage. Plus, the cell can't be recharged any more, at least not by conventional chargers.

Moral of the story: never let a Li-ion battery drop to near-zero capacity. It's best to keep them around 50%.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,107 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 15, 2016 14:07 |  #26

Timza wrote in post #18157642 (external link)
After this thread and some research on Amazon, I have been buying Wasabi batteries and chargers on Amazon and have not had any problems. I wanted to buy something cheaper than the original batteries, but was willing to pay a little more than the mystery generic batteries go for. So far these are working for me.

Good stuff. I should have done the same. After reading good reviews I bought a Fosmon battery for my 7D2. It works, and was cheap, but the new Fosmon does not last anywhere near as long as the original battery, which is around 2 years old now.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

eddieb1
757 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 16, 2016 08:58 |  #27

mike_d wrote in post #17880756 (external link)
Canon batteries are crazy expensive. Many members here, including me, have had good results with SterlingTek and Wasabi.

+1 I've used both brands and have never had an issue.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,325 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 11:04 |  #28

sterlingtek was garbage when I use them with my old 5D and 50 D back in the day. That company is the reason why I only bought oem batteries for my Canon gear when I use it professionally. In about a year we were about 60% of the capacity of a OEM battery. They did ship me replacement batteries when I told him my concerns and they blamed the Japanese cells that they put in the battery. The replacement batteries were just as bad.

If you buy OEM you seldom ever have these issues. You get what you pay for!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,107 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 16, 2016 11:28 |  #29

AlanU wrote in post #18158303 (external link)
You get what you pay for!

Obviously incorrect.

The whole point of researching, comparison shopping and bargaining is to avoid scams, get a better deal, and keep merchants honest.

For some, buying Canon-brand batteries might be the best choice, but high quality third-party options give you more for your money.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,325 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2016 11:39 |  #30

Archibald wrote in post #18158323 (external link)
Obviously incorrect.

The whole point of researching, comparison shopping and bargaining is to avoid scams, get a better deal, and keep merchants honest.

For some, buying Canon-brand batteries might be the best choice, but high quality third-party options give you more for your money.

For Canon please give me a 3rd party company that gives identical performance and reliability?

If you miss a pivotal moment during a clients EVENT because you saved $40 on a 3rd party battery is wonderful LOL!!!!

If you missed your childs first step because a 3rd party battery died due to incorrect battery level (indicator) is worth saving some money right???

Joking and ribbing aside please tell me a 3rd party fuji battery that will perform identical to oem. There is nothing out there that is comparable to OEM.

My DSTE cheapy battery on my gh3 worked.......it was a spare but otherwise I would use OEM first and use 3rd party for last ditch efforts in keeping the camera going.

IF you do "PAY" you do get a reliable battery. Why do you think people use OEM as a benchmark/reference???​????? because it's a comparison of reliability and longevity. You understand maH is an absolute joke in the 3rd party world because we all know they typically do not last as long as an oem. If this case was the opposite I'd only buy 3rd party!!

Been there...done that.....

For my fuji gear if I use it in a more serious manner I'd throw away all of my 3rd party batteries and use only OEM.

sponsored links

26,762 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is there a better brand of battery for cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.