Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 03:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #607 - Black and White, Monochrome

Trumper
713 posts
Joined May 2003
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Trumper. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 11, 2016 03:41 |  #1

Challenge #607 - Black and White, Monochrome

I hope this one is ok.I assume that ALL the G series have the options for taking Black and White or people are happy enough alter the photo [MAYBE COPY IT AND PLAY WITH A COPY] in post processing. PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RESET THE CAMERA BACK TO YOUR NORMAL SETTING AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED :)
Years ago before mass colour printing and film some of the most striking and historic photos were taken in Black and White ,a very powerful medium.I leave the subject up to you but make the most of lights,darks,contrast,​mood and detail.
As ever enjoy it and make my decision as hard as you can :)

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 17 October 2016.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- All Canon G-Sseries cameras:
    G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X Mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

---------------
Well there may only have been 5 entries but by god all them have made me sit up and look and move them around BUT I can only pick the top 3.

1st place is Pictoraiders "phone call" .I had to keep going back to it and everytime i looked i saw something new.If you stand away from the computer you can see the background ,middleground and foreground throwing it together.

2nd place is Teekays Forest Elk The way the head pops out being darker than the body which almost becomes invisible .The ferns and trees really add to it.How on earth did you get that photo,are they fairly friendly ?

3rd place ,i wish i could put all of the the rest there BUT i have picked Jims Hagrids ride ,it just looks right ,right shape ,era and atmosphere.

Carloy "serene" ,it certainly is and the building looks superb Thank you for posting it
Sibil ,i really like and understand the light and shadows with this one ,this was the sort of photo i thought people would be posting more of.

Why only 5 entrants ,were the converting or using the settings on the camera off putting?

Pictoraider ,take it away and make us think and use the camera , THANK YOU ALL :)

sponsored links
JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Oct 11, 2016 12:44 |  #2

Hagrid's Ride
G11: f/4, 1/640th, ISO 80, 6MM

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Oct 12, 2016 09:48 |  #3

"Phone Call"
G1-X Mark II, 27mm, f5,6 & 1/640 s, 1600 ISO.

HOSTED PHOTO

CarloY
668 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by CarloY with reason 'more tweaking same pic'. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 12, 2016 10:44 |  #4

Serene -- The Palace of Fine Arts (San Francisco)
G9 & PP

HOSTED PHOTO

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Sibil
Goldmember
4,923 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Oct 13, 2016 13:13 |  #5

artsy B&W
G11

IMAGE: http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Mirook/IMG_7493artsy%20BW.jpg

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 15, 2016 23:59 |  #6

Rain Forest Elk

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Elk.jpg
G1

Trumper
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2003
Oct 17, 2016 08:10 |  #7

:p Going to shut this thread in an hour or 2 so if anyone wants to join in last minute please feel free to do so.Back later :)

Trumper
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2003
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Trumper.
Oct 17, 2016 10:20 |  #8

Thread closed back soon :)

RESULTS AT THE TOP ,Thank you for taking part and the most important part i hope you all enjoyed it :)

Sibil
Goldmember
4,923 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Oct 17, 2016 13:13 |  #9

Congratulations Pictoraider, Teekay, and Jim. A very interesting blend of B&W shots. Thanks Trumper for running and judging this round of challenge. I knew my shot had no hope of any standing from seeing everyone's excellent work, but I had fun creating it.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 17, 2016 13:48 |  #10

Trumper wrote in post #18153846 (external link)
Why only 5 entrants ,were the converting or using the settings on the camera off putting?

Yes. The G15 has a monochrome mode, but using it freezes some in-camera settings, so there's less control. As for PP, I can desaturate, but I can't do things that sophisticated software allows. When people talk about curves and levels, they lose me.

Another reason is, I often decide against entering when the first few photos are better than anything I have or might get during the week.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Oct 17, 2016 13:54 |  #11

Kudos to the winners. Great shots from everyone. Looking forward to the next contest.

Mark J.
Gear

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew.
Oct 17, 2016 14:09 |  #12

Congratulations Pictoraider and Teekay, and thanks for the 3rd place nod Trumper. This was a fun contest and a great set, albeit small in number, of entries to select from.

I never shoot in B&W even though all my cameras support that mode. I prefer to shoot in color and use PSCC and Topaz B&W filters to do my conversions. For every wedding I shoot I convert at least 10% of my photos to B&W...especially portraits and the Bride & Groom couple shots...the Brides love this. B&W portraits are so elegant. :-)

Here is a sample of a B&W portrait I took using my 5D and the 24-105MM f/4 L lens. This gentleman is my neighbor's father and is a Village Chief in Ghana. He was visiting for a few days and I was delighted to meet him and take his portrait.

I have noticed that Leica now sells a digital P&S that only takes B&W photos! If I ever hit the lottery I would buy it as the photos I have seen from it are stunning! It would be a fun challenge to shot an entire gig in only B&W.

I captured my motorcycle photo at Universal Studio's Harry Potter Theme Park this past spring on our trip to CA. It was my last set with the G11 as I bought the G5X when I got home and shipped the G11 off to my brother. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

CarloY
668 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Oct 17, 2016 17:41 |  #13

Congrats to winners Pictoraider, Teekay, and JimAskew. And thanks to Trumper for hosting and shaping this challenge.

Great Elk shot, Teekay!

Cheers,
Carlo

ps. This challenge is a reminder for me to go out and try to see the world in monochrome (for the lighting, scene, angles, nuances... develop another skill.). But alas, I did not get out this week to actually do that. So, post-processing.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

teekay
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by teekay.
Oct 17, 2016 18:23 |  #14

Congratulations to Pictoraider although I have to admit I'm still puzzled by the image and I thought for sure Carlo's palace was going to walk away with top spot.

Don't know why so few entries, Trumper, as the subject deserved more, but thanks for the #2 spot!

In case anyone noticed and wondered why I changed my entry twice, it was because I had realized that a colour version of my original "ship at anchor" had won a challenge before in 2006, so I substituted the "whale spouting" shot. Then later realized that it was a poor shot so substituted the elk.

No, Trumper, elk are not generally aggressive but they do look REALLY BIG when up close and could do major damage if they wanted. A friend and I were hiking a minor trail deep in the tangled, lush rain forest of the Hoh Valley (Olympic National Park, west coast of Washington) when we suddenly realized we had walked into the middle of a herd of elk - really close, all around in the undergrowth and trees, standing perfectly still and watching us. That is not a zoomed shot! I quietly took a few photos with my G1 on a tripod (it was very gloomy in there) and then we slowly eased away back down the trail.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Oct 17, 2016 19:25 |  #15

Congrats to the winners & I agree with the placings. I am also glad I did not have to judge this one.

My apologies for not entering; we got back Thursday afternoon & by Friday I was coming down with bronchitis. Still running a fever today & no energy to even look at my vacation pictures yet.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

5,062 views & 10 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #607 - Black and White, Monochrome
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.