Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by scriveyn.
Oct 19, 2016 06:35 |  #361

A question/observation about battery life.

I have the camera turned off and the battery in its compartment. I then open the SD-card compartment and insert a card. When I now close the SD-card compartment, the red light is blinking. Does this mean that the camera is in some kind of stand-by, even when "turned off"?

This does not happen with my 60D.

Generally I have the impression the battery is emptying when in the camera and the camera is turned off and stowed away for a few days.

Any confirmation or contradiction from other 80D users?

TIA,
Frank

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

sponsored links
Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Oct 19, 2016 11:49 |  #362

Dont quote me on this. But i think its just to indicate confirmation of the sd card in the slot.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Oct 19, 2016 12:27 |  #363

Cormac wrote in post #18161161 (external link)
Dont quote me on this. But i think its just to indicate confirmation of the sd card in the slot.

that was my impression too.
I never leave batteries in my cameras anyway. it's a good habit to remove batteries from anything not in use

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Oct 19, 2016 12:28 as a reply to Cormac's post |  #364

I'm sure Cormac is right. The light also flashes when the charged battery is inserted (and the card is already in the slot). Just means the camera is ready to go, I assume.

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 19, 2016 12:41 |  #365

The purpose is quite clear and I'm not disputing it. What irritates me is that the camera is in a state of registering the inserting of the card and responding via light while it is turned OFF. - So, the ON/OFF switch doesn't mean what I expect it to mean.

Yes, BlakeC, I've begun taking out the battery, but not always remember doing so. A nuiscance especially when I mean to leave the camera on the tripod.

C&C welcome

I Jazz

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Oct 19, 2016 12:57 |  #366

scriveyn wrote in post #18161207 (external link)
The purpose is quite clear and I'm not disputing it. What irritates me is that the camera is in a state of registering the inserting of the card and responding via light while it is turned OFF. - So, the ON/OFF switch doesn't mean what I expect it to mean.

Yes, BlakeC, I've begun taking out the battery, but not always remember doing so. A nuiscance especially when I mean to leave the camera on the tripod.

I doubt the difference in battery drainage (if any) is anything to worry about.
I often change lenses without turning my camera off! I should prly stop doing that :-/

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Oct 19, 2016 16:29 |  #367

BlakeC wrote in post #18161223 (external link)
I doubt the difference in battery drainage (if any) is anything to worry about.
I often change lenses without turning my camera off! I should prly stop doing that :-/

Is that bad? I do that all the time

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

i-G12
Wat?
1,358 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Oct 19, 2016 16:54 |  #368

Cormac wrote in post #18161389 (external link)

:eek:

I'm not sure it's a big deal.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Oct 19, 2016 19:08 |  #369

Cormac wrote in post #18161389 (external link)

not sure if it is bad but i know it's not good :-P

Blake C

i-G12
Wat?
1,358 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by i-G12.
Oct 19, 2016 19:35 |  #370

BlakeC wrote in post #18161527 (external link)
not sure if it is bad but i know it's not good :-P

Why?

We need answers here. :cry:

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 22, 2016 13:56 |  #371

scriveyn wrote in post #18160939 (external link)
A question/observation about battery life.

I have the camera turned off and the battery in its compartment. I then open the SD-card compartment and insert a card. When I now close the SD-card compartment, the red light is blinking. Does this mean that the camera is in some kind of stand-by, even when "turned off"?

This does not happen with my 60D.

Generally I have the impression the battery is emptying when in the camera and the camera is turned off and stowed away for a few days.

Any confirmation or contradiction from other 80D users?

TIA,
Frank

I had the opportunity to talk to a Canon representative during an in-store presentation. He confirmed what I found, i.e. that the red light signal acknowledging the insertion of a valid card is new to the 80D (as opposed to the 60D) and that it will be a feature to all new bodies. Also, that this means the camera is on a kind of constant low "stand-by", even when the camera is set to OFF, using up a minimal amount of battery charge. The battery should therefore be removed. when not in use for a longer time.

C&C welcome

I Jazz

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Oct 22, 2016 14:15 |  #372

scriveyn wrote in post #18163932 (external link)
I had the opportunity to talk to a Canon representative during an in-store presentation. He confirmed what I found, i.e. that the red light signal acknowledging the insertion of a valid card is new to the 80D (as opposed to the 60D) and that it will be a feature to all new bodies. Also, that this means the camera is on a kind of constant low "stand-by", even when the camera is set to OFF, using up a minimal amount of battery charge. The battery should therefore be removed. when not in use for a longer time.

Very interesting to know. Thanks for sharing.

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Oct 22, 2016 14:35 |  #373

Ducks are the only birds I get to see at this time of year, but I like the detail and the bokeh produced by the 100-400 lens. I am also amazed at the size of the Tiff files I get with the 80D. This one, uncompressed, was 144MB. I like this camera!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 23, 2016 06:02 as a reply to scriveyn's post |  #374

I always understood that the batteries should remain in the camera. There is a battery that is on the main board that gets its charge from the main battery, sort of like a rechargeable battery. This small cell keeps all your settings. If you remove the main battery, you risk losing all yoir settings and/or putting a constant charge/discharge cycle on that small battery. As for the light flickering when installing a card, does it do so when the battery is removed?

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 23, 2016 06:43 |  #375

Frodge wrote in post #18164368 (external link)
I always understood that the batteries should remain in the camera. There is a battery that is on the main board that gets its charge from the main battery, sort of like a rechargeable battery. This small cell keeps all your settings. If you remove the main battery, you risk losing all yoir settings and/or putting a constant charge/discharge cycle on that small battery.

Interesting point.

Frodge wrote in post #18164368 (external link)
As for the light flickering when installing a card, does it do so when the battery is removed?

No.

C&C welcome

I Jazz

sponsored links

386,829 views & 4522 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.