Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Oct 2016 (Wednesday) 14:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can my eyepiece be out of focus (Not Diopter!)?

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by scobols.
Oct 19, 2016 14:31 |  #1

This is going to seem weird, but my eyepiece on my 5DIII seems to be out of focus.

I know what the diopter does and how to use it, and trust me, that is not the problem.

If I manually focus on a target using just the eyepiece, the focus is significantly off. So I set the camera up, use live view or autofocus to focus, and look through the eyepiece, it's blurry. I adjust the diopter to get the sharpest focus, but it's never sharp. If I take the photo, it's tack sharp. Now, if I go back to the eyepiece and adjust focus until it's sharp in the eyepiece, then take the photo, it's completely out of focus. How can this be? I'm spinning the focus dial the equivalent of 8-10 inches of focal distance to get the eyepiece to "look" in focus.

To sum it up, the autofocus and manual focus with the LCD are perfectly fine, but the eyepiece is just off.

I really want to start manually focusing more often but I can't use the eyepiece...

I hope this makes sense. Any advice?

Thank you,
Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 19, 2016 15:00 |  #2

I just tried manually focusing my 7DII, exactly the same way, and everything is perfect. In other words, it's not my eyes.

Thoughts?

facebookexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,408 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 19, 2016 20:12 |  #3

It is quite hard to manually focus using the optical viewfinder, especially without getting a new focusing screen that would make that significantly easier. When you think something is sharp in the viewfinder, then look at your digital result afterwards, often you will find that your focus was not where you thought it was, or where you think you put it. You are looking at a postage stamp sized replica of what you are about to capture on > 20Mpx sensor, and trying to lock focus on something specific. It will be very difficult to do that.

If you want to do manual focusing and shooting, live view using the 5x or 10x feature will be your best bet, IMO. Or get a new focus screen to help out... However, I don't think the 5D3 allows for that, there are a handful of bodies that do not have replaceable focus screens.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 19, 2016 20:13 |  #4

Does the 5DIII have an interchangeable focus screen? If so is it correctly mounted? If the screen is out of correct alignment it would mean that you could run out of adjustment on the built in diopter adjustment before reaching correct focus. Also when you checked on your 7DII was the correct point of adjustment very close to an end of the adjustment travel? If it is it could just be one of those situations where the tolerances of one camera means that you cannot quite reach the correct point, and you need to use one of the supplemental lenses that Canon sell. I suppose I should have asked this first, is this a new camera that came with the issue, or is it an old camera that used to work OK, but is now having issues? Old camera with new issue I would look at my first suggestion first, and since it is easy I would also do the same check for a new camera too, but would be more inclined to accept the out of tolerance in that case.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,706 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 19, 2016 20:18 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #5

The 5D3 does not have interchangeable screens (unfortunately).

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 19, 2016 21:55 |  #6

Is this a newly purchased/second hand camera or an existing one that started acting strange?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 05:55 |  #7

Thanks everyone for the responses.

This is a camera I purchased new a few years ago. I've never really tried to manually focus like this so I don't know when the problem started.

When I look through the eyepiece, it's very easy to see when it's in focus (for the target I'm using). When the autofocus locks, the eyepiece is blurry. No diopter adjustment makes it sharp. I usually set it to 5 clicks from the top. If I leave it there and then adjust focus manually (away from what autofocus used), I can see the image get sharp in the eyepiece - very sharp. However, at that point, the photo taken is out of focus, WAY out of focus. My target is about 8 feet away and the focus is off 6-8 inches.

My CPS membership had expired so I hadn't called them yet. I just decided to renew and then gave them a call. After explaining the problem, they said the prism or eyepiece can be out of focus. It won't affect autofocus or the photos, just the eyepiece. Unless there's a way I can remove the eyepiece and see if something is loose in there, it looks like I'm going to have to send it in for repair and eat the cost.

Has anyone ever removed the eyepiece?

facebookexternal link

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Oct 20, 2016 07:16 as a reply to scobols's post |  #8

DSLR cameras have 2 mirrors inside the chamber. The front mirror "sends" image up to the pentaprism and pentaprism "sends" the image to the viewfinder.
Some of the light goes through the front mirror to the smaller mirror in the back which "sends" the image down to the focusing module.
It could be that your front mirror is displaced or misaligned, so you have a blurry image, when you look through viewfinder. I doubt that the pentaprism got misaligned but it's theoretically possible.
To be sure try first to adjust the optics of the viewfinder with the little wheel on top right of the viewfinder (+/- adjustment).
By the way; define "eyepiece" and "diopter".

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 07:32 as a reply to Mathmans's post |  #9

Thanks for the reply.

Diopter: I'm referring to the little wheel on the top right on the viewfinder. I have adjusted this and it is not the issue.
Eyepiece: The viewfinder eyepiece, or the optical viewfinder.

I don't think it's the mirror because it is possible to get an in-focus image in the eyepiece. However, with that eyepiece image sharp, the photo taken will be out of focus. When the auto focus locks and the photo taken is sharp and in focus, the image in the viewfinder is blurry, regardless of any adjustment of the diopter adjusement wheel.

Scott

facebookexternal link

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,478 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Oct 20, 2016 07:51 |  #10

Most probably it's the focus screen that's out of alignment. It needs to be shimmed. The diopter adjustment will not affect the focus of the image, only the display below the image.

Mark

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Colorblinded.
Oct 20, 2016 08:57 |  #11

rrblint wrote in post #18161898 (external link)
Most probably it's the focus screen that's out of alignment. It needs to be shimmed. The diopter adjustment will not affect the focus of the image, only the display below the image.

The diopter adjustment would technically affect both. If the image on the focusing screen and the information displayed around it in the viewfinder were sharp and you changed the diopter setting, it would all get blurry.

Still, I'm inclined to agree with the basic assertion that the focusing screen is probably out of wack. If it's too high or too low it will not be positioned correctly in the rear focal plane and it will not be in focus when the recorded image is, and vice versa.

Has it always been this way? Manually focusing or not, have you noticed the image in the viewfinder is soft before? Without some kind of serious blow or tampering, I'd have trouble seeing this not being an issue from the factory. Either way, it sounds like a trip to a repair shop will be needed to sort this out.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 09:09 |  #12

Colorblinded wrote in post #18161968 (external link)
Has it always been this way? Manually focusing or not, have you noticed the image in the viewfinder is soft before? Without some kind of serious blow or tampering, I'd have trouble seeing this not being an issue from the factory. Either way, it sounds like a trip to a repair shop will be needed to sort this out.

I guess I'm not really sure. I haven't spent much time trying to manually focus. Thinking back though, I would guess it's been this way for some time. The camera has been heavily used, replaced the shutter this spring with over 225k on it.

I have not tampered with anything so that's not the problem but the camera has been bumped around a few times, not really dropped. It could have come loose some time ago. Since the problem doesn't affect the focus of the photos, it hasn't been a problem which I've worried about.

facebookexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 20, 2016 09:30 |  #13

rrblint wrote in post #18161898 (external link)

I agree that it sounds as if the focus screen is not properly aligned but the diopter does affect both the image on the screen as well as the displayed info.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 6 edits done in total.
Oct 20, 2016 09:30 |  #14

Colorblinded wrote in post #18161968 (external link)
The diopter adjustment would technically affect both. If the image on the focusing screen and the information displayed around it in the viewfinder were sharp and you changed the diopter setting, it would all get blurry..

The diopter merely puts in-focus or out-of-focus the contents of the viewfinder...the LCD text as well as the image formed on the focusing screen.
Take the lens off the camera and refocus the diopter so that you can best see the a) focus points and the b) center circle (spot area) and the c) in-viewfinder control status displays. All THREE need to be 'in focus' simultaneously, or you have an internal issue with alignment of the focus screen with the SI plate with the control status LCD.
Then put the lens back on, and see how Live View focus coicides (or not) with the viewfinder image of the image on the focus screen.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 20, 2016 09:32 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18161995 (external link)
The diopter merely puts in-focus or out-of-focus the contents of the viewfinder...the LCD text as well as the image formed on the focusing screen.
Take the lens off the camera and refocus the diopter so that you can best see the focus points and the in-viewfinder control status display. Then put the lens back on, and see how Live View focus coicides (or not) with the viewfinder image of the image on the focus screen.

That's how I adjust my diopter but I leave the lens on, just defocus as much as posible so the image is blurry. It makes adjusting the diopter easier to just concentrate on the focus points themselves and get them in focus.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

4,208 views & 5 likes for this thread
Can my eyepiece be out of focus (Not Diopter!)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.