Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Oct 2016 (Wednesday) 14:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can my eyepiece be out of focus (Not Diopter!)?

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 10:06 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #18161995 (external link)
The diopter merely puts in-focus or out-of-focus the contents of the viewfinder...the LCD text as well as the image formed on the focusing screen.
Take the lens off the camera and refocus the diopter so that you can best see the a) focus points and the b) center circle (spot area) and the c) in-viewfinder control status displays. All THREE need to be 'in focus' simultaneously, or you have an internal issue with alignment of the focus screen with the SI plate with the control status LCD.
Then put the lens back on, and see how Live View focus coicides (or not) with the viewfinder image of the image on the focus screen.

Okay, I just did that. At the same diopter setting I have been using (down 5 clicks), all three are in focus and tack sharp in the viewfinder.

I focused with auto focus, checked the LCD and it's tack sharp (looks a little blurry through viewfinder.

Next I focused manually so the image in the viewfinder was TACK SHARP. I switched to the LCD and zoomed in - completely blurry.

The LCD and the viewfinder (image on the focus screen) do not coincide at all.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Oct 20, 2016 10:16 |  #17

That confirms that your focusing screen is out of position.
Had it been the mirror, the AF system wouldn't work either.

Anders

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 10:49 |  #18

apersson850 wrote in post #18162025 (external link)
That confirms that your focusing screen is out of position.
Had it been the mirror, the AF system wouldn't work either.

Yeah, the AF system is working just fine. Sounds like a trip to Canon is inevitable.

Thank you.

facebookexternal link

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Oct 20, 2016 11:14 |  #19

I don't know how it's mounted in this camera. I have cameras where the user can replace the focusing screen in a simple way, and these models are completely different. Maybe it's just a loose screw.

Anders

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Oct 20, 2016 11:17 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #20

I looked closely at it and it appears to be in place and secure. I wonder if it's actually the prism that's loose or out of alignment (that's what CPS said it might be).

facebookexternal link

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,257 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Oct 20, 2016 12:13 |  #21

rrblint wrote in post #18161898 (external link)
Most probably it's the focus screen that's out of alignment. It needs to be shimmed. The diopter adjustment will not affect the focus of the image, only the display below the image.

I think I was not clear with this post. Allow me to clarify: The diopter adjustment does not affect the focus of the image on the focus screen, but will of course, make the image on the focus screen appear blurry even if it is in focus. The reason that I brought this up is that someone in a previous post implied that the diopter could affect the actual focus of the image on the focus screen which it cannot.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Oct 20, 2016 17:02 |  #22

No, but it can make a sharp image on the focusing screen to seem blurry. I think that's what was intended with the remark.

Anders

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Colorblinded.
Oct 20, 2016 17:58 |  #23

rrblint wrote in post #18162132 (external link)
I think I was not clear with this post. Allow me to clarify: The diopter adjustment does not affect the focus of the image on the focus screen, but will of course, make the image on the focus screen appear blurry even if it is in focus. The reason that I brought this up is that someone in a previous post implied that the diopter could affect the actual focus of the image on the focus screen which it cannot.

Yes, I may have misinterpreted your response, since it would absolutely affect the appearance of everything in the viewfinder. Obviously the diopter will not affect the outcome on the sensor, as Wilt explained in greater detail.

In either case, the power of the internet seems to have determined a misaligned focusing screen appears to be at fault.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 20, 2016 18:08 |  #24

Colorblinded wrote in post #18162392 (external link)
Yes, I may have misinterpreted your response, since it would absolutely affect the appearance of everything in the viewfinder. Obviously the diopter will not affect the outcome on the sensor, as Wilt explained in greater detail.

In either case, the power of the internet seems to have determined a misaligned focusing screen appears to be at fault.

It could still be the primary mirror as well. The primary mirror has no impact to AF as some light passes through and reflects down to the AF sensor by the secondary mirror. I'm still voting for the focus screen though.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Oct 20, 2016 18:11 |  #25

gjl711 wrote in post #18162399 (external link)
It could still be the primary mirror as well. The primary mirror has no impact to AF as some light passes through and reflects down to the AF sensor by the secondary mirror. I'm still voting for the focus screen though.

It could, but every time I've run in to something like this it's been the screen. Primary mirror alignment issues have always been weirder than this in the cases I've seen.

Needs service either way, and they'll figure it out.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 20, 2016 18:12 |  #26

Yea,I'm going with the focus screen as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Oct 21, 2016 03:06 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #27

The first mirror affects manual focus and the second mirror affects AF focus.
When you focus through viewfinder with AF the photos are sharp.
When you focus through viewfinder manually the photos are blurry.
On Nikon D90 (and other Nikon DSLRs also) you have 2 screws and with them you can adjust
the position of both mirrors if the focus is not "spot on".
One screw adjusts manual focus and the other screw adjusts AF focus.
I don't know, how would focusing screen (plastic plate with focusing points) affects manual focus.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 21, 2016 06:31 |  #28

http://photo.net ...gital-camera-forum/00WAHs (external link)

I would say the focus screen needs reshimmed as well.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Oct 21, 2016 09:02 |  #29

If the primary mirror isn't stopping in the correct position, then it affects AF as well, since the secondary AF mirror is mounted on the back of the primary one.

If the focusing screen is misaligned it affects how AF is seen in the viewfinder (but not the picture itself) as well as how manual focus is perceived (which will affect the picture).
The focusing screen must be at exactly the same optical distance from the lens mount as the sensor is, or it will not truly represent the focus in the image.

Anders

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,257 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Oct 21, 2016 10:12 |  #30

^^^^THIS.

Mark

sponsored links

4,083 views & 5 likes for this thread
Can my eyepiece be out of focus (Not Diopter!)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.