Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Ho ­ Hum
22 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 19, 2016 11:58 |  #4966

First go at tilt effect. Two degree shift and full diagonal tilt on lytham windmill.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 20, 2016 14:22 |  #4967

Justin, how are you finding the 5DS? Any thoughts on how the 24 pairs with it?

Wee single shot from me, just nipped out to Tesco for crisps and wine (don't judge me):

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5719/29823401834_55247b6437_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MroJ​km  (external link) Edinburgh - South Bridge (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,091 posts
Gallery: 490 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 20, 2016 14:59 |  #4968

ken2000ac wrote in post #18162252 (external link)

Wee single shot from me, just nipped out to Tesco for crisps and wine (don't judge me):

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MroJ​km  (external link) Edinburgh - South Bridge (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

... with your camera, TS-E lens and tripod! Love it!

flickr (external link)

Justinsmnz
883 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 20, 2016 15:18 |  #4969

ken2000ac wrote in post #18162252 (external link)

I'm not sure I can give a full testimonial at this point, since I really haven't had a chance to put the combo through its paces. However, I think I've decided to stick with the 5Ds for the foreseeable future – as far as I'm concerned, it's a very strong direct replacement for my MkIII. For my general use, I can't find anything that the 5Ds lacks from the MkIII (a lot of folks say the 5Ds is not as strong in low light, but I haven't found this to be the case at all.) Realistically, I think I could leave the 5Ds on the mRaw setting (28mp) and not notice any difference between this and my previous MkIII, neither in functionality nor image output. To me, that's a very good thing and means that the [Shockingly*] small price difference between my MkIII and the used 5Ds I bought was, in retrospect, a no-brainer (even if only for the fact that it's a newer camera with a nicer sounding shutter [haha.])

That said, the features that it does offer over the MkIII are simply incredible. The resolution is obviously the main feature and is just as spectacular as you might imagine. Zooming in on the raw files has not yet ceased to amaze me and the quality difference after scaling down is absolutely noticeable. One thing that I didn't think about prior to buying, but that has since been really useful, is the ability to zoom in much closer during Live View focusing than I could with the MkIII. Even with the wider 24mm, I can often zoom in on the smallest branches or flowers in Live View to set the focus distance correct. This is obviously a huge advantage for tripod shooting with the TS-E. Some other features I've found useful for TS-E shooting are the variable mirror-lock-up settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 sec, etc selections instead of the double-click style on the MkIII), the active viewfinder crop settings, and the built-in bulb timer and intervalometer.

I'll keep shooting with it and develop my opinion more as I go, but for now, I have nothing but great things to say about it! In my limited experience, it's been the very best camera to squeeze every bit of resolution out of the TS-E 24.

*I found a great combo deal on a like-new 5Ds/24-70II kit on eBay. After selling the 24-70 and my MkIII, my out-of-pocket upgrade cost was less than $400 USD - worth it for me, even from a simple resale value perspective.

flickr (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 20, 2016 16:25 |  #4970

Couldn't have asked for a better review, even if your perspective is limited at this stage. Thank you very much - I can definitely appreciate the zooming in resolution in Live View can make your life easier and potentially avoid losing out of focus shots. I fear having to upgrade my PC when I upgrade to such a resolution, despite how magnificent it might be!

flickr (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 20, 2016 16:28 as a reply to  @ AnnieMacD's post |  #4971

Easily fits into the same carrier bag as the crisps and wine, and saves 5p in the process! 8-)

flickr (external link)

Justinsmnz
883 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 20, 2016 16:40 |  #4972

ken2000ac wrote in post #18162322 (external link)
Couldn't have asked for a better review, even if your perspective is limited at this stage. Thank you very much - I can definitely appreciate the zooming in resolution in Live View can make your life easier and potentially avoid losing out of focus shots. I fear having to upgrade my PC when I upgrade to such a resolution, despite how magnificent it might be!

I have a pretty solid, but not particularly cutting-edge, PC due to my main income coming from graphic design and print-production (i7 3.4ghz, 32gb ram, AMD HD 6800 GPU.) I've be pleasantly surprised that the larger files have not really caused too much headache after switching from the MkIII. Admittedly, the pano above certainly took longer to merge than if it were shot with the MkIII. However, if it's slowed down my overall workflow, it hasn't been overly noticeable. That said, my server capacity will definitely start to feel it if I keep shooting everything at full resolution, haha. I think I may be on the lookout for a slightly bulkier RAID setup this year on Cyber Monday. :-D

flickr (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,493 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 20, 2016 17:22 |  #4973

ken2000ac wrote in post #18162322 (external link)

the biggest upgrade to a PC needed is some RAM and storage space...I don't have the 5Ds series..but the A7R2 and the 14 bit uncompressed RAW files are +/-88 MB each...a multilayer image in PS easily gets close to a gig...so the RAM helps work with the files a little better but the storage space becomes necessary to store it all...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
233 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Oct 21, 2016 00:54 |  #4974

A problem I got with my lens is the insane sharpness at f4 and f5,6. The lens outresolve the camera sensor and that shows up as artefacts like zig zag pattern in lines. Not a problem in prints but cropped on screen it look not that good and is impossible to get rid off in post. Just wonder if the sensor in 5DS will handle the sharpness better than the sensor with lower resolution like 6D?

deWalden
176 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 21, 2016 12:06 |  #4975

Summer Cargo

HOSTED PHOTO

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 21, 2016 12:32 |  #4976

2loose wrote in post #18154542 (external link)
Golden hour @ Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Cool shots and great light. Last time I was standing in that spot, there were dozens of naked people riding by on bicycles. Was not a pretty scene.

Mark J.
Gear

Algol ­ Paradox
38 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 21, 2016 13:48 |  #4977

2loose wrote in post #18154542 (external link)
Golden hour @ Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice; a real life tilt-shift building! You can imagine the architect thinking to himself "Ok photographers, straighten these verticals!"

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,493 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 22, 2016 08:49 |  #4978

deWalden wrote in post #18163008 (external link)
Summer Cargo
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by deWalden in
./showthread.php?p=181​63008&i=i94084777
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

ok, that one plays with the mind big time...care to explain...it is a very cool image...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

ketut
27 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 24, 2016 02:45 |  #4979

"Ulundanu Temple, Bali"

HOSTED PHOTO

deWalden
176 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 26, 2016 15:04 |  #4980

Suburban night train

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,159,141 views & 1,424 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.