Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 28 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 06:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Pitbull food?

CookieCruble22
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 28, 2016 06:09 |  #1

To all pet lovers here I might ask your suggestions. What's the Best Food for Pitbull? My friend died :cry: and her wife left Big Bogart to me, his a 6 months old American Pit Bull Terrier. This is my first time to have a dog. I was looking online at
http://www.happypetsno​w.com/best-dog-food-for-pitbulls/ (external link)
https://blog.udemy.com​/best-dog-food-for-pitbulls/ (external link)
http://dogtime.com ...pit-bull-terrier#/slide/1 (external link)
For a starter, is there anything else I need to know? Any recommendations?

sponsored links
Gnhntn
403 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Colonial Beach, VA
Sep 29, 2016 21:45 |  #2

Pitt Bulls are good dogs. First recommendation I would make is to find a Vet that you are Comfortable with, and go with his/her recommendations. When it comes to food I would recommend a good large breed puppy food, and keep him on it until a year old, and then switch to large breed regular dog food. There is really no need to get it through the Vet, if they recommend it. We currently feed ours Purina One,as I have our last few dogs. We currently have a 7 month on Lab/Pitt mix, he is a rescue dog, and you could not ask for a better puppy/dog, is is already at 75 pounds last Vet visit. They are highly intelligent but cam also be stubborn and hard to train. Pet Smart and Petco both offer training courses for them as well, which I highly recommend. They may not be the best, but are a good place to start for a new owner. Your Vet could also guide you in this matter.

Good luck and enjoy your new family member. They are wonderful, and will provide you with years of companionship.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

jtmiv
Joined Jan 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Oct 03, 2016 10:55 |  #3

Dear Cookie,

I adopted a rescue pit bull at 18 months. I feed him Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison and he eats it as soon as it hits his dish. Unless you exercise the dog a lot you don't need to feed them anywhere near as much food as most dog food manufacturers recommend.

My dog goes 70 pounds and 2 1/2 cups of food split into a morning and evening feeding seems to be plenty as he had all the energy he needs and hasn't gained any weight.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 03, 2016 11:38 |  #4

I've had dogs all my life and my last two lived well beyond their life expectancy without any veterinary intervention beyond regular checkups and vaccinations. They didn't just have years in their life. They also had a lot of life in those years. The problem with commercial food is that no matter how many good, 'human-grade' ingredients go into them the preparation is horrendous. What you have left is a bag of food with a 6-12 month expiration period that is the equivalent of all the processed garbage foods in the middle of the grocery store that medical professionals tell us to avoid. Regulations concerning preparation, ingredient listing and advertising are suspect for products made for human consumption. Can you imagine how it is for pet food? The only way to make sure that your dog is getting something more than the K9 equivalent of potato chips and beef jerky twice a day is to make it yourself. There are plenty of recipes around. My dog is about 120lbs and preparing his food takes 4-5 hours. It gives me about 6 weeks of food that I freeze in individual portions. I'm convinced that the time and effort I put into preparing dog food myself has saved me a ton of vet visits along with the expense and emotion that goes with them. I wouldn't eat processed, extruded pellets that can sit on a shelf for almost a year and so I won't feed it to my dog. There are some foods similar to a home preparation available but as a specialty product supply can be unreliable and they are far more expensive than home preparation.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Oct 08, 2016 08:26 |  #5

Another vote for Taste of the Wild (TOTW). I've been feeding my boxers this for over 10years without issues. I initially did a ton of research into foods and came to the conclusion that unless I was going to feed them a raw diet, TOTW was a top 3 choice. I can't remember what other brands I was considering, but I do remember them all being very close in price and nutritional profiles.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

jtmiv
Joined Jan 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Oct 08, 2016 14:49 |  #6

Dear Cookie,

If you decide to feed your dog dry dog food I would like to suggest that you consider buying from Chewy.com. I've been dealing with them since I adopted our dog Bear and have had zero issues with every transaction. I am set up with them for auto-shipment of dog food and they always send an email reminder prior to shipment. If I have enough food for a while still around it's easy to extend the ship date without any issues.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :-)

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

CookieCruble22
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Oct 24, 2016 16:27 |  #7

jtmiv wrote in post #18151770 (external link)
Dear Cookie,

If you decide to feed your dog dry dog food I would like to suggest that you consider buying from Chewy.com. I've been dealing with them since I adopted our dog Bear and have had zero issues with every transaction. I am set up with them for auto-shipment of dog food and they always send an email reminder prior to shipment. If I have enough food for a while still around it's easy to extend the ship date without any issues.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :-)

Thank you. I was sceptical at first but knowing it has zero issues will but from them now. Thanks for all the reply Guys.

sponsored links

1,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Pitbull food?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.