Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 12 May 2005 (Thursday) 01:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: When do I need a Release?

MichiganPhotog
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2015
May 15, 2015 12:28 |  #271

TOPIC: Photographs of strangers across the world with no release

Many years back I read an article in a photography magazine about an attorney whose entire business was to have staff comb through magazines for photographs of people. He then tracked these people down and convinced them to sue the photographer for publishing their image without a release.

He stated that his main targets were those with deep pockets: NatGeo, Time, Newsweek, etc. But he had won awards against hobbyists that ran into the multiple tens of thousands of dollars.

So for me, the moral of the story would be: no release, no publication or sale to others. Just my 2ยข, YMMV. Unless of course you are Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, etc. Since you have more money than God, you probably don't give a damn.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
May 15, 2015 13:12 |  #272

MichiganPhotog wrote in post #17557596external link
I suggest not paying people in photographs. Pay them in cash, have them sign a release (stating the amount paid), and let them buy the prints at your normal prices. Cash talks, bullshirt walks, and in court, even a dollar is enough for the judge to say, "Case dismissed."

In the eyes of courts, $1.00 is considered sufficient payment to render any agreement to be fully valid for a bilateral contract to exist (within normal conditions of legally allowable activies, etc. governing contracts).

MichiganPhotog wrote:
Many years back I read an article in a photography magazine about an attorney whose entire business was to have staff comb through magazines for photographs of people. He then tracked these people down and convinced them to sue the photographer for publishing their image without a release.

There must have been some specific circumstances under which this 'release chaser' engaged in this activity and could obtain legal remedy via compensation for the person! Or maybe he made ALL of his money from the fees he charged the people he had fooled into thinking a case existed for them?! After all, editorial use of photographs is generally allowed without a model release.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
May 16, 2015 00:05 |  #273

Wilt wrote in post #17557671external link
There must have been some specific circumstances under which this 'release chaser' engaged in this activity and could obtain legal remedy via compensation for the person! Or maybe he made ALL of his money from the fees he charged the people he had fooled into thinking a case existed for them?! After all, editorial use of photographs is generally allowed without a model release.

QFT
You can use an image of someone editorially and you can also sell prints, without needing a model release.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.
Sep 02, 2015 14:57 |  #274

MichiganPhotog wrote in post #17557634 (external link)
TOPIC: Photographs of strangers across the world with no release

I don't think that business model would work today, as any publisher I have ever worked with is extremely careful to ensure that releases have been procured for each and every person appearing in a photo. If I don't have a signed release, they won't buy or use the photo, period.

He stated that his main targets were those with deep pockets: NatGeo, Time, Newsweek, etc.

Nat Geo? That doesn't make sense. They only do editorial publishing, and publishers do not need releases for images used for editorial purposes.

But he had won awards against hobbyists that ran into the multiple tens of thousands of dollars.

That doesn't make much sense, either. By 'Hobbyist" I assume you mean hobbyist photographers (there are not many hobbyist print magazine publishers). It is not against the law to take photos of people without a release.....it is only illegal to publish these photos without a release, if the photos are used for advertising or promotional purposes. Therefore, the photographers are not at fault, the publishers are. The publishers are the ones that would be held liable in a court of law, not the photographers. So what is it that you mean when you say that this lawyer won awards agains hobbyists that ran into the tens of thousands? What hobbyists?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Deardorff
104 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Oct 25, 2016 09:18 |  #275

Sorry guy, but ART takes precedence over the 'you can't use it' stuff.

Nussenzweig v. DiCorcia is a suit in New York City, USA where a Jewish gentleman objected to the photographer using his photo in a book of art photography. The court held that it was OK - basically if you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public. If you are photographed and the image is sold as "art", you are out of luck.

Tiger Woods found this out when he sued an artist. ETW Corp. v. Jireh Publishing, Inc The case arose after Woods' first win at the Masters. Rush, who has painted Michael Jordan, Mark McGuire and other sports greats, produced a limited-edition lithograph that depicted three images of Woods, surrounded by the faces of previous Masters winners.

ETW Corporation, Woods' licensing agent, filed suit against Rush's publisher in 1998, claiming the artwork violated Woods' right to control the publicity of his name and likeness. The suit also alleged trademark violations.

In 2000, Rush obtained a dismissal from U.S. District Court Judge Patricia A. Gaughan, who said the print was protected as a creative work.

The Sixth Circuit's June decision, supported by two of the three judges on the appellate panel, upheld that ruling.

So, check things our more carefully. Even with the rulings you can be sued. Doesn't mean they will win and really does not mean you can't lose as some Judges are just jackasses and do whatever they want, the law be damned.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

121,001 views & 6 likes for this thread
When do I need a Release?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.