Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities
Thread started 25 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 11:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 538 - Numbers

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,304 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 26, 2016 22:53 |  #16

Thanks, joayne, for explaining our strange voting customs. More: This year, California propositions go from #51 through #67. The choice for each one is YES or NO. A thick pamphlet sent by the state government offers information about each proposition, the text of it, and arguments for and against. The county government sends a similar pamphlet for local candidates and issues. A deluge of advertising also arrives over several weeks before an election.

These "cards" that we mark constitute the ballot for those who vote by mail. They're big, about 10 by 17 inches, not necessarily full but some printed on both sides. There's a lot to study this time. Informing oneself and making the decisions isn't quite so bad as doing one's income tax, but I'm finding it very tiring.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Oct 26, 2016 23:41 |  #17

Mine had a smaller font.

Reminds me of in school, when computers started displacing typewriters, kids would turn in papers written in 14pt instead of 12 to give the illusion of wordiness.

joayne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,133 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Stuck@Coachella
Oct 27, 2016 01:07 |  #18

OhLook wrote in post #18168081 (external link)
Thanks, joayne, for explaining our strange voting customs. More: This year, California propositions go from #51 through #67. The choice for each one is YES or NO. A thick pamphlet sent by the state government offers information about each proposition, the text of it, and arguments for and against. The county government sends a similar pamphlet for local candidates and issues. A deluge of advertising also arrives over several weeks before an election.

These "cards" that we mark constitute the ballot for those who vote by mail. They're big, about 10 by 17 inches, not necessarily full but some printed on both sides. There's a lot to study this time. Informing oneself and making the decisions isn't quite so bad as doing one's income tax, but I'm finding it very tiring.

Thanks Look .. I just did the Cliff Notes.  :p

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 | List | Worldwide Photo Week

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oct 27, 2016 08:41 |  #19

joayne wrote in post #18167887 (external link)
These are proposals (propositions) that have been put to the people for voting in this coming election. These are different for each state of the USA. We also have proposals (propositions) for the cities that we live in as well as the election of our President. It is a very long ballot this year at least for California. A lot of business to decide for the voters. Pictured are the state propositions.

OhLook wrote in post #18168081 (external link)

It is strange indeed, OhLook. You are asked to vote not just a politician in office (be it the president of the US or somebody local) but also to vote on issues? Sounds like a type of referendum. How much is the state/county/city bound by the results of the voting on these issues?

You mention California's propositions go from #51 through #67. So all nation-wide propositions are on these cards and each state is sent their part of it?

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,304 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 27, 2016 11:22 |  #20

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18168374 (external link)
It is strange indeed, OhLook. You are asked to vote not just a politician in office (be it the president of the US or somebody local) but also to vote on issues? Sounds like a type of referendum. How much is the state/county/city bound by the results of the voting on these issues?

You mention California's propositions go from #51 through #67. So all nation-wide propositions are on these cards and each state is sent their part of it?

The votes on issues are binding, except that in some cases the result of a vote has been challenged in court and found unconstitutional. Legal action can invalidate a previous vote. In recent years, majorities of some states' voters declared marriage to be defined as between a man and a woman. The (federal) Supreme Court's decision to allow same-sex marriage overruled those votes.

Most state propositions are proposals for initiative statutes or constitutional amendments. This year, all but two are. One is a referendum (binding) and one is a "legislative advisory question" (unusual, and not binding). Initiatives originate with citizens; referenda come from the state legislature when it asks the people whether we want X, yes or no. "Citizen" in this context doesn't necessarily mean an individual. Initiatives can be sponsored by a business, a trade association, a teachers' organization, and so forth.

There are no nationwide propositions. The California ballot has only this state's propositions. If the next election includes any measures to vote on, the first one will be #68.

Propositions can also be local (city or county). We vote on bond issues and some taxes. We're told what the revenue from a proposed bond is for and the expected cost of paying it off over a fixed number of years. There are also nonfiscal measures, such as amending the city charter if one's city is chartered rather than incorporated; California has two kinds of cities.

I gather that you vote only on people, not on questions?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 27, 2016 13:27 |  #21

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
where numbers are among themselves

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,275 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Oct 27, 2016 13:34 |  #22

scriveyn wrote in post #18168642 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by scriveyn in
./showthread.php?p=181​68642&i=i101206217
forum: Member Activities

Cool shot.

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Oct 27, 2016 14:51 |  #23

scriveyn wrote in post #18168642 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by scriveyn in
./showthread.php?p=181​68642&i=i101206217

Reminds me of those CRC tables from my college engineering days. Who had that slide rule from last time?

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 27, 2016 15:03 |  #24

Thanks Sibil & Don. - Yes, the tables and slide rule are from my school days (though these were on their way out at the time) and Number Theory was my favourite at university.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

fotoi
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 27, 2016 16:24 |  #25

HOSTED PHOTO

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,304 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 27, 2016 18:12 |  #26

A postscript about one of the ballot measures. California voters are considering legalization of marijuana for nonmedical use.

The subject of this photo contains some numbers, and it's all about numbers of dollars. That's not my main reason for posting it.

HOSTED PHOTO
If you thought Soylent Green was bad . . . !

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Oct 27, 2016 20:02 |  #27

Great way to raise revenues--sin taxes--legalize it then tax it.

Great movie, Soylent Green.

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

KT29
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.Idaho
Oct 28, 2016 00:46 |  #28

Some very interesting numbers in all your posts. Pretty creative stuff here. I really like them all. Way to many to comment on. Nice job all.:-)

Terry

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Oct 28, 2016 11:10 |  #29

OhLook wrote in post #18168527 (external link)
The votes on issues are binding, except that in some cases the result of a vote has been challenged in court and found unconstitutional. Legal action can invalidate a previous vote. In recent years, majorities of some states' voters declared marriage to be defined as between a man and a woman. The (federal) Supreme Court's decision to allow same-sex marriage overruled those votes.

Most state propositions are proposals for initiative statutes or constitutional amendments. This year, all but two are. One is a referendum (binding) and one is a "legislative advisory question" (unusual, and not binding). Initiatives originate with citizens; referenda come from the state legislature when it asks the people whether we want X, yes or no. "Citizen" in this context doesn't necessarily mean an individual. Initiatives can be sponsored by a business, a trade association, a teachers' organization, and so forth.

There are no nationwide propositions. The California ballot has only this state's propositions. If the next election includes any measures to vote on, the first one will be #68.

Propositions can also be local (city or county). We vote on bond issues and some taxes. We're told what the revenue from a proposed bond is for and the expected cost of paying it off over a fixed number of years. There are also nonfiscal measures, such as amending the city charter if one's city is chartered rather than incorporated; California has two kinds of cities.

Thanks for the explanation. That cleared up things a lot.

I gather that you vote only on people, not on questions?

Yes, we vote on people only, although the EU made referenda possible and we have had one or two over the last decade or so. All it takes is 300,000 signatures (I think it is) and the government has to give us a referendum. The Dutch government isn't very happy with referenda though, as we have voted against what they want and have made life more difficult for them in Brussels. However, in the end the people's vote makes very little difference. They just word something different, add a few footnotes here and there, whatever, and they go ahead anyway. We are not citizens any more, we have all become consumers. Democracy is dead in Europe.

OhLook wrote in post #18168859 (external link)
A postscript about one of the ballot measures. California voters are considering legalization of marijuana for nonmedical use.

The subject of this photo contains some numbers, and it's all about numbers of dollars. That's not my main reason for posting it.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by OhLook in
./showthread.php?p=181​68859&i=i83882157
If you thought Soylent Green was bad . . . !

I'm strongly in favour of making all drugs legal, just sell them at pharmacies, at cost price, add some tax. Making them illegal makes organised crime thrive. The USA should know this better than any other country after their prohibition experiment in the 1920s/30s failed. To me it makes no sense at all to single out drugs but allow alcohol and tobacco. It's totally arbitrary to fight drugs, costs tons of money that could be better spent elsewhere and for what: to fight a fight that cannot ever be won. It just doesn't make sense.

Loved Soylent Green though.

Levina

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Oct 28, 2016 12:08 |  #30

Playing with games now.

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

sponsored links

7,399 views & 121 likes for this thread
WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 538 - Numbers
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.