Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 03 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 21:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pilots! Chime in.

quadwing
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 03, 2016 21:41 |  #1

PPL, working on my IR. :)

How about you guys?

Camera gear: Sony A7R II | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links
Ian ­ Mackie
"I'm not welcome. I look foward to her admonishment"
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Ian Mackie.
Nov 04, 2016 01:14 |  #2

quadwing wrote in post #18175277 (external link)
PPL, working on my IR. :)

How about you guys?

Accountant who wishes he was a pilot! Nothing mundane though, fighter jets, or on the commercial side, Concorde (sad when she was grounded for good).

flickr (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Nov 06, 2016 16:09 |  #3

licensed about 10 years ago...

have 0 time since then. $140-ish an hour is about what i take home for 8 hours...

cant write it off, cant afford to just punch holes in the sky...

:-(

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by s1a1om. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 06, 2016 17:19 |  #4

Private ASEL, ASES, Complex, High Performance, and Tailwheel. I also have some time in gliders (4 hrs ), gyrplanes (2 hrs), and helicopters (10 hrs). Only around 200 hours total time at this point and haven't been current in years. Currently looking to try my hand at building an experimental plane. I have the materials to build a couple wing ribs and a mock 1 ft long wing spar over thanksgiving.

If you just fly for fun, I can't recommend seaplanes or gyroplanes enough. They're both a blast!

Ian Mackie wrote in post #18175384 (external link)
Accountant who wishes he was a pilot! Nothing mundane though, fighter jets, or on the commercial side, Concorde (sad when she was grounded for good).

Go for it. You have to start somewhere, may as well do your initial training in a C-152. Then work your way up to the exciting stuff. BD-5, Subsonx (http://www.sonexaircra​ft.com/subsonex/) (external link), Questair Venture, 1/3 scale B-17 (https://www.facebook.c​om/BallyBomber/) (external link), cri-cri. There's lots out there to choose from that is relatively accessible, if you want it enough. Then again, you may just find somewhere along the way that what you really like is low and slow. Then you can look into the J-3, Aeronca Champ, Flybaby, Minimax, etc. Or if you really want a challenge, try helicopters.

There's something for everyone in aviation, you just have to take that first step.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 06, 2016 21:08 as a reply to Ltdave's post |  #5

:( Any plans on making that a commercial deal Ltdave?

Camera gear: Sony A7R II | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Nov 08, 2016 15:57 |  #6

quadwing wrote in post #18177782 (external link)
:( Any plans on making that a commercial deal Ltdave?

huh?

i cant afford to fly and ive got a great job! not sure how others can do it even if they have their own plane...

id need an instrument rating to take advantage of a commercial ticket...

i really wish i was retired and independently wealthy...

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Nov 08, 2016 16:46 |  #7

Very cool - finish that IR. No point in being a fair weather pilot!

I have my SEL, MEL, Instrument and complex endorsement. I took my commercial written and passed, needed 50 more hours to take my commercial flight test and ran out of money. This was back in 2003. All of my instructors were quitting, no jobs in sight, pay was next to nothing. I ended up quitting and haven't flown since.

I really wish I'd had the money to keep going. I'll forever wish I had. However it was a ton of fun and I'll never regret getting as far as I did.

Good luck to you!

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

teekay
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 08, 2016 18:22 |  #8

scobols wrote in post #18179548 (external link)
Very cool - finish that IR. No point in being a fair weather pilot!...Scott

Totally agree, just for safety reasons. Even someone who has no intention now of flying in IFR conditions, may find themselves for one reason or another in cloud or pitch dark some day.

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Nov 08, 2016 18:31 |  #9

teekay wrote in post #18179648 (external link)
Totally agree, just for safety reasons. Even someone who has no intention now of flying in IFR conditions, may find themselves for one reason or another in cloud or pitch dark some day.

But if you don't maintain your IFR currency, I would contest that you're may be more dangerous than a VFR pilot that knows they should stay on the ground.

No interest in IFR here. I'll take just flying on nice clear mornings/evenings when there are no storms around. I fly for fun and relaxation, not to get from point A to point B. If the weather is even marginally iffy, I'd rather stay on the ground.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

teekay
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 11 months ago by teekay.
Nov 08, 2016 18:40 |  #10

s1a1om wrote in post #18179656 (external link)
But if you don't maintain your IFR currency, I would contest that you're may be more dangerous than a VFR pilot that knows they should stay on the ground.

No interest in IFR here. I'll take just flying on nice clear mornings/evenings when there are no storms around. I fly for fun and relaxation, not to get from point A to point B. If the weather is even marginally iffy, I'd rather stay on the ground.

I hope you are lucky and never find yourself unexpectedly above or in cloud, or the need in some emergency to fly after dark. It happens.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Nov 08, 2016 18:46 |  #11

This is a photography forum, right?
Wheres the photos?

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 08, 2016 20:09 |  #12

scobols wrote in post #18179548 (external link)
Very cool - finish that IR. No point in being a fair weather pilot!

I have my SEL, MEL, Instrument and complex endorsement. I took my commercial written and passed, needed 50 more hours to take my commercial flight test and ran out of money. This was back in 2003. All of my instructors were quitting, no jobs in sight, pay was next to nothing. I ended up quitting and haven't flown since.

I really wish I'd had the money to keep going. I'll forever wish I had. However it was a ton of fun and I'll never regret getting as far as I did.

Good luck to you!

Scott

I'm working on it, but ran out of money. Hopefully next semester I can take out another loan to finish it up. I'd like to get my commercial after that, but man, 250 total time is just really rough to pull, especially cranking out $140/hr. That's like $21,000.

Britania757
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
Chicago, IL
Nov 20, 2016 17:59 |  #13

PPL here. Working on my instrument. I'll eventually fly for the airlines.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/24547179@N07/ (external link)
Fuji X100T, TCL-X100, Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 35mm f1.4

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Capn Jack.
Nov 20, 2016 20:34 |  #14

Current ASEL PPL here.

Get these shots (should satisfy Naturalist :-) ):

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Capn Jack's gallery.
HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,839 views & 1 like for this thread
Pilots! Chime in.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.