Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 09 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 12:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

FastRawViewer

Garry ­ Gibson
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
Vero Beach FL
Nov 09, 2016 12:56 |  #1

I am getting ready to buy a travel computer, one that I will take on various trips but not one
that I am likely to use to do too much processing. I simply want to be able to take a quick look
at the photos on the cards and then copy them to the laptop and a portable hard drive.

I looked at BreezeBrowser and PhotoMechanic as tools to be able to quickly look through
the photos and I didn't want to spend what they wanted to do this small task. After some
searching I found this program FastRawViewer.

The website is fastrawviewer.com.

It is really pretty amazing, it quickly loads my raw files in grid form and lets me move through
them pretty swiftly. According to the website, I am looking at the raw file and not the attached jpeg.

It also includes exif data, histogram and other tools to make some slight edits to the photo. Also
available are ways to quickly rate the photos and determine what photos I want to copy to the various
sites.

The cost is $19.95. They have a free download so it is easy to try. So far I have been pretty impressed
and I have not used all the functionality, but I have looked a couple of full cards and was pretty amazed at
how quickly it read them and put them on the grid. Even the files from the 5Dsr loaded reasonably quickly.

This should make it much easier for me to rate these photos rather than waiting for Lightroom to do the initial
rating.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along, it might be of some value to someone.

Garry

5D SR- 7D Mark II
Some assorted glass
Learning everyday... well.. maybe every other day.

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Nov 09, 2016 14:02 |  #2

I just downloaded and took a peek at it. It does look pretty fast.

I've been searching for a faster way to cull my photos too. I tried Photo Mechanic and didn't really like it. I'm going to give this one a try - I'm pretty optimistic.

Thanks for the info!

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,362 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Nov 09, 2016 16:33 |  #3

For the last two years every Raw file I have shot has been opened/converted, reviewed, compared, judged, passed or rejected in FRV before moving further down the workflow (or not). I consider it an essential tool, especially its Raw histogram and associated over/under exposure stats and two varieties of focus peaking. In a sensible world it would be the front end of every Raw converter. And Iliah Borg has always been generous with answers and explanations.

Elie / אלי

teekay
Goldmember
2,548 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 09, 2016 18:53 |  #4

Thanks for the tip, Garry. Just been onto their site and watched a couple of videos. Impressive, useful, and I'll probably get it.

996 views & 1 like for this thread
FastRawViewer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.