Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 21 Oct 2015 (Wednesday) 08:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art, reviewed by BlakeC

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND BlakeC (showing now: BlakeC)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money10
Bokeh9.5
Sharpness10
Contrast10
Focusing9
Must Have9.5
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by BlakeC. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2015 08:32 |  #1

Link for Gallery images taken with the 18-35 1.8

I bought this lens to replace my Sigma 17-50 2.8. The 17-50 2.8 is a great lens but is pretty soft around the edges and not as sharp in the center as I would like. I originally was thinking I would get a 30 Art for lower light capabilities and sharpness. I quickly came across this lens!

I bought this lens with the Sigma dock (also a GREAT product and feature I wish other companies would adopt) knowing I would need to fine tune it. If you plan to use it at 1.8, you will most likely need to adjust it with the dock. 1.8 is a very thin DoF so any little difference can make or break an image. I spent about 3 hours total adjusting it with the dock and a book with a ruler propped up against it at a 45°. Once calibrated, this lens is prime sharp!

The "sweet spot" is f2.8-4 which is where I shoot anyway.

AF is smooth, quiet, and is pretty accurate but can struggle in low light. But so does any lens. I always double tap the AF to be safe. This could just be user error of course.

I use this lens mainly for weddings. I also use 2 bodies. I take 90% of my shots with it. Its like having 3 primes in one! Depending on the venue and what I am shooting, I pair this lens with a 50 or my 70-200 2.8. Sometimes with a 10-18.

Some complain about the weight but it isnt much heavier than the 17-50 2.8 or any other fast zoom. I actually like the weight. For me, the weight helps me keep is steady for hand held shots. It feels very solid and is a good example of the quality that the Art lenses are known for! I love the texture of it. This is a sexy lens!

One thing that I had to get used to and I still screw it up when switching between zooms is - The zoom ring is closest to the camera and the focus ring is near the front of the lens. Just something to get used to.

There is NO OS(IS) but I do not miss it. The wide aperture allows for faster shutter speeds to make up for the lack of OS. I'm not sure the size of this lens would be desirable if it had OS as well.

The lens hood that comes with it is good and snaps into place.

I also hear this lens is great for video but I cannot comment on that.

Definitely a great lens at a great price! Worth checking out if you are looking for something to replace several primes or to replace a general use lens. There is only one other lens similar to it and that is the Sigma 24-35 f2.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,559 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by mwsilver.
Oct 30, 2015 16:11 |  #2

BlakeC wrote in post #17754397 (external link)
Link for Gallery images taken with the 18-35 1.8

I bought this lens to replace my Sigma 17-50 2.8. The 17-50 2.8 is a great lens but is pretty soft around the edges and not as sharp in the center as I would like. I originally was thinking I would get a 30 Art for lower light capabilities and sharpness. I quickly came across this lens!

I bought this lens with the Sigma dock (also a GREAT product and feature I wish other companies would adopt) knowing I would need to fine tune it. If you plan to use it at 1.8, you will most likely need to adjust it with the dock. 1.8 is a very thin DoF so any little difference can make or break an image. I spent about 3 hours total adjusting it with the dock and a book with a ruler propped up against it at a 45°. Once calibrated, this lens is prime sharp!

The "sweet spot" is f2.8-4 which is where I shoot anyway.

AF is smooth, quiet, and is pretty accurate but can struggle in low light. But so does any lens. I always double tap the AF to be safe. This could just be user error of course.

I use this lens mainly for weddings. I also use 2 bodies. I take 90% of my shots with it. Its like having 3 primes in one! Depending on the venue and what I am shooting, I pair this lens with a 50 or my 70-200 2.8. Sometimes with a 10-18.

Some complain about the weight but it isnt much heavier than the 17-50 2.8 or any other fast zoom. I actually like the weight. For me, the weight helps me keep is steady for hand held shots. It feels very solid and is a good example of the quality that the Art lenses are known for! I love the texture of it. This is a sexy lens!

One thing that I had to get used to and I still screw it up when switching between zooms is - The zoom ring is closest to the camera and the focus ring is near the front of the lens. Just something to get used to.

There is NO OS(IS) but I do not miss it. The wide aperture allows for faster shutter speeds to make up for the lack of OS. I'm not sure the size of this lens would be desirable if it had OS as well.

The lens hood that comes with it is good and snaps into place.

I also hear this lens is great for video but I cannot comment on that.

Definitely a great lens at a great price! Worth checking out if you are looking for something to replace several primes or to replace a general use lens. There is only one other lens similar to it and that is the Sigma 24-35 f2.

Feel free to ask any questions!

I have a copy as well. Its a great lens. When you indicated "Some complain about the weight but it isn't much heavier than the 17-50 2.8 ", I felt I should comment. The 17-50 may not be a light weight but its no where near as heavy as the 18-35. The difference in weight of around 250g, almost 9 ozs, is pretty substantial. The 18-35mm weighs in at just below 29ozs. which is heavier then many cameras it will be mounted on.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

alexvtr
Joined Nov 2012
Montreal, QC
Jan 13, 2016 07:53 |  #3

I used this lens as well for a wedding reception and party (evening, low light, etc.).
Very useful tool, more than decent wide open (to help compensate for the lack of stabilisation).
Rather substantial but it makes for a well balanced package when paired with my 60D.
The zoom range is pretty narrow but can be quite handy in some situations.
Build quality is awsome. Definately a well put togheter product.

Canon EOS 60D | Canon EF 35mm f/2, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

BlakeC
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jan 13, 2016 07:58 |  #4

alexvtr wrote in post #17856417 (external link)
I used this lens as well for a wedding reception and party (evening, low light, etc.).
Very useful tool, more than decent wide open (to help compensate for the lack of stabilisation).
Rather substantial but it makes for a well balanced package when paired with my 60D.
The zoom range is pretty narrow but can be quite handy in some situations.
Build quality is awsome. Definately a well put togheter product.

Agreed! I actually like the weight of it. I think it helps with stability.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Dags
45 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Atlanta GA
Aug 19, 2016 15:08 |  #5

thanks for the review, great info

Dags
45 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Atlanta GA
Aug 26, 2016 19:20 as a reply to Dags's post |  #6

I did end up purchasing this lens, very happy

griesmonkey
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Nov 09, 2016 14:54 |  #7

I'm getting some serious back focus issues with it. Not many of the shots are coming out at all. 70D. I have the dock but no time to adjust with it. If you have the 70D, can anyone post what settings they adjust with the Dock software? I know it won't be that accurate as the bodies can vary significantly, but I'm still curious.

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,559 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by mwsilver. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2016 15:16 |  #8

griesmonkey wrote in post #18180226 (external link)
I'm getting some serious back focus issues with it. Not many of the shots are coming out at all. 70D. I have the dock but no time to adjust with it. If you have the 70D, can anyone post what settings they adjust with the Dock software? I know it won't be that accurate as the bodies can vary significantly, but I'm still curious.

Often the issue is copy to copy variations due to manufacturing tolerances for both the lens and camera body. If, like my copy when mounted on my Canon 7D2, the problem is consistent at the various focal lengths and distances, you might have an easier time adjusting the cameras micro focus lens adjustment to compensate. I have the dock and realized after extensive time was spent adjusting the lens with it that all the adjustments were identical. The 7D2 allows for lens adjustments at both the long end and the wide end, and I experimented with the best combination to get good results at the various focal lengths. Unlike the dock, the camera's MFA only adjusts the body and doesn't modify the lens itself. The settings will vary from copy to copy of both your lens and camera. What works for me will not work for you. When I mount this lens on my 60D virtually no adjustment is necessary.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

SunD3v1L
46 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Sep 02, 2017 00:27 |  #9

Thanks for the review... it's my top consideration but I really wish this lens would work with full frame cameras as well, as I plan to eventually upgrade to one in the next year or two. However, I guess that might negative what they've achieved in such a sharp lens.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,559 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by mwsilver. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 02, 2017 08:47 |  #10

SunD3v1L wrote in post #18442616 (external link)
Thanks for the review... it's my top consideration but I really wish this lens would work with full frame cameras as well, as I plan to eventually upgrade to one in the next year or two. However, I guess that might negative what they've achieved in such a sharp lens.

Actually Sigma makes a similar lens intended for full frame cameras, the Sigma 24-35 f/2. However, it is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the 18-35mm. On a full frame it's range completes with the much more expensive, Canon 16-35 mm f/2.8 L II which although a stop slower goes much wider. Decisions, decisions.

Mark

sponsored links

4,172 views & 5 likes for this thread
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art, reviewed by BlakeC
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.