Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 09 Feb 2015 (Monday) 03:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LX100 - opinions?

321slash
38 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Feb 09, 2015 03:37 |  #1

I've been intrigued by the LX100 ever since its announcement, and it turns out that it seems to be going down in price, making it even more tempting.

Things that have kept me away:

- no tilt screen
- no pop up flash
- electronic zoom motor
- mixed reviews on IQ
- not full 16mp sensor

Ideally I would love the features of the GX7 but with 4k video, and I am crossing my fingers for an announcement at the upcoming CP+ imaging event.

Any LX100 owners here care to share their experiences?

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 10, 2015 13:17 |  #2

Here are some comments I posted comparing the LX100 to the Canon G7X, which I assume you are referencing, not the Panasonic GX7:

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​419294

321slash
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Feb 10, 2015 13:33 |  #3

mpix345 wrote in post #17425581external link
Here are some comments I posted comparing the LX100 to the Canon G7X, which I assume you are referencing, not the Panasonic GX7:

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​419294

Nice summary there. Actually I did refer to the Panasonic GX7. I know it's not a fair comparison to compare an interchangable lens camera vs. a fixed lens camera, but you would think the LX100 wouldn't discard some features from a previous camera...I guess they needed to in order to keep the size as small as it is.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 10, 2015 15:22 |  #4

321slash wrote in post #17425607external link
Nice summary there. Actually I did refer to the Panasonic GX7. I know it's not a fair comparison to compare an interchangable lens camera vs. a fixed lens camera, but you would think the LX100 wouldn't discard some features from a previous camera...I guess they needed to in order to keep the size as small as it is.

Size and price, and maybe to allow room for some obvious upgrades when they come out with the MKII version. Initially the lack of flip and touch screen soured me on the LX100. But I've accepted those exclusions as a necessary compromise for now. I will be curious to see what other companies may offer now that the LX100 has set the standard for this type of camera.

MTroy1
32 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Mar 25, 2015 19:21 |  #5
banned

what do you all think about the LX100 vs. RX100 mark 3?

Deardorff
104 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Deardorff.
Nov 11, 2016 16:39 |  #6

321slash wrote in post #17425607 (external link)

It is fair to compare them, depending on the camera and intended use.
Sigma DP Merrills give image quality better than most more expensive interchangeable lens cameras around.

LX100 may not be in that class but having it in your shirt or coat pocket to pull out and use when a bigger camera can't be with you makes it worlds better than anything you don't have at the time.

How big will the prints be? That is a consideration. How high an ISO setting do you use? Another consideration. Having a small camera with a decent zoom that has a fast aperture is a real plus. A big one for many is the 'non threatening' nature of a small point and shoot camera. Very simple to be ignored when you have the small point and hoot out but the object of unwanted attention when you pull out the DSLR.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The image above is in a small diner. Panasonic LX5 sitting on top of a water glass, composed looking at the rear screen. Clicked the shutter release when the guys looked interesting to me. If I had the LX100 the image quality would most likely be a bit higher. Usability of both is similar.

No matter what you get if you work with it enough so it is familiar and you aren't fumbling you should do just fine.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links

2,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
LX100 - opinions?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.