Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 11 Nov 2016 (Friday) 07:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sling/Shoulder Strap

craigat
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Nov 11, 2016 07:24 |  #1

I've been looking for a sling/shoulder strap to replace the one that came with my camera. What I've seen is that many mount directly to the screw on the camera forcing the user to keep switching between the tripod mount plate and the strap - which would be a pain in the @55. I have seen a couple where the straps mount is incorporated into the plate so they can be used interchangably without need to pull out the allen wrench, which I like better. I was wondering what you'd recommend in this matter, any specific straps or brands to focus on or avoid, etc. I have a MeFOTO Carbon Fiber Globetrotter Travel Tripod which uses the Arca-Swiss style quick release plate.

As for budget, I don't want to spend more than I must, but will spend enough to get something worth having. Sorry, can't be more specific than that at this juncture.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

sponsored links
MysticFalcon
Joined Jun 2012
Vermont
Nov 11, 2016 07:51 |  #2

Peak Design Slide
Easily removable and it can be attached many different ways. It also includes an Acra compatible plate that you can mount the strap to and still use on a Tripod while attached.

Made the Fuji Switch
X-T2 | X-T20 | 18-55 | 55-140 | 100-400 | 8mm FE | 23mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | 56mm 1.2
www.NEKPics.com (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by iazybandit.
Nov 11, 2016 08:15 |  #3

craigat wrote in post #18181584 (external link)
I've been looking for a sling/shoulder strap to replace the one that came with my camera. What I've seen is that many mount directly to the screw on the camera forcing the user to keep switching between the tripod mount plate and the strap - which would be a pain in the @55. I have seen a couple where the straps mount is incorporated into the plate so they can be used interchangably without need to pull out the allen wrench, which I like better. I was wondering what you'd recommend in this matter, any specific straps or brands to focus on or avoid, etc. I have a MeFOTO Carbon Fiber Globetrotter Travel Tripod which uses the Arca-Swiss style quick release plate.

As for budget, I don't want to spend more than I must, but will spend enough to get something worth having. Sorry, can't be more specific than that at this juncture.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

As MysticFalon said Peak Design Slide. It attaches to the eyelet where the original neck strap would attach to and it comes with a plate (or you can use your own plate).

If you have a DSLR, the Slide is perfect

Black - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...e-camera-sling-strap.html (external link)
Summit Edition - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...n-camera-sling-strap.html (external link)

If you have like a mirrorless or lighter camera, the SlideLite

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...e-camera-sling-strap.html (external link)

There are a lot more straps that I reviewed (http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com/p/reviews_2.​html (external link))

Custom SLR Air Strap is similar to neck strap connections but sling style - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...p-camera-sling-strap.html (external link)

However, if you want to convert your basic strap to be easily removable, you can install the Peak Design anchor links - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...-anchor-links-camera.html (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 11, 2016 08:28 |  #4

MysticFalcon wrote in post #18181594 (external link)
Peak Design Slide
Easily removable and it can be attached many different ways. It also includes an Acra compatible plate that you can mount the strap to and still use on a Tripod while attached.

+1. Excellent product and great customer service.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Nov 11, 2016 11:37 |  #5

I've been looking at them and have become a bit confused. When I looked at reviews online, they all talk about the Summit Edition, when I go to amazon, they sell the Peaks Edition. Is there actually a difference? Should I focus on one or the other?

BTW, I do like what I see in general for this strap, so thanks for that.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 11, 2016 11:44 as a reply to craigat's post |  #6

The summit edition are the blue and red ones. I would assume the 'Peaks' edition is the standard black despite the lack of this description on the PD home page. The summit edition usually comes at a small premium.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Nov 11, 2016 11:50 |  #7

craigat wrote in post #18181748 (external link)
I've been looking at them and have become a bit confused. When I looked at reviews online, they all talk about the Summit Edition, when I go to amazon, they sell the Peaks Edition. Is there actually a difference? Should I focus on one or the other?

BTW, I do like what I see in general for this strap, so thanks for that.

Peaks Edition that you see on Amazon is the same as the Summit Edition. Whoever entered the name into Amazon entered it incorrectly.

In my reviews, I have a link that gives you 10% off Peak Design when you order through their site.

FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Nov 11, 2016 12:59 |  #8

1KIND: I used the link in your page (which goes to the black strap), and when I try to switch to red, the discount doesn't apply. Is there a different link or code that will work?

Thanks

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by iazybandit. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 11, 2016 13:24 |  #9

craigat wrote in post #18181813 (external link)
1KIND: I used the link in your page (which goes to the black strap), and when I try to switch to red, the discount doesn't apply. Is there a different link or code that will work?

Thanks

Code is here - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...t-coupon-codes-deals.html (external link)

The code takes off $6.49. Total is $58.46

kv968
Joined Jul 2014
Central NJ
Nov 12, 2016 06:01 as a reply to iazybandit's post |  #10

+1 to Peak Design. I started out with a Blackrapid curve strap and, although it's a great strap, I got tired of having to take it off and putting on the plate for my MeFoto every time I wanted to use the tripod. Peak Design took care of that. I have used the PD Slide attached to the plate on my 5Dmkiii and 70-200 2.8 and have had no problem with it.

instagram.com/shooting​anything (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Nov 12, 2016 13:04 |  #11

For those who love other straps that requires to be mounted in the tripod socket, you can purchase the Custom SLR M-Plate to offset to mount and still be able to put the camera on your ball head...so as long its Arca Swiss

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...-plate-pro-universal.html (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,712 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 15, 2016 16:05 |  #12

1KIND wrote in post #18182631 (external link)
For those who love other straps that requires to be mounted in the tripod socket, you can purchase the Custom SLR M-Plate to offset to mount and still be able to put the camera on your ball head...so as long its Arca Swiss

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...-plate-pro-universal.html (external link)

Thanks!!! Been looking for an alternative for me non-PeakDesign harnesses.

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Nov 18, 2016 11:18 |  #13

Just an update, been using the strap a few days now and loving it. Not quite what I had in mind originally, but better than what I expected. Quite happy with it so far.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 20, 2016 20:36 |  #14

craigat wrote in post #18188008 (external link)
Just an update, been using the strap a few days now and loving it. Not quite what I had in mind originally, but better than what I expected. Quite happy with it so far.

Glad you like yours. I have the summit edition and think it's a horrible strap. I tell people I know when they ask me about it to never buy one.

I like the slide design and absolutely love how still it holds the camera while walking but the strap constantly climbs up my shoulder and rubs a raw spot on my neck if I dont wear a shirt with a collar. Still you spend the whole day pushing the strap back down on your shoulder.

I still search for a better strap.

pankajkumars
Joined Jun 2011
Faridabad, DELHI NCR, India
Nov 21, 2016 22:33 |  #15

Using various types of straps ranging from Kata, Blackrapid to PRO/TECH USA, I found Up-Strap most amazing one. It is simply the best.

You can try it right here.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com ...era-straps-full-list.html (external link)

6D | 24-105L | 35L | 85mm 1.2 IIL | 70-200 2.8 IS II L
flickr pankajks (external link)

sponsored links

2,501 views & 2 likes for this thread
Sling/Shoulder Strap
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.