Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 25 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 17:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First paid wedding. Let me know what you think

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Nov 14, 2016 06:39 |  #16

For a first wedding these certainly aren't bad at all. You've certainly done a better job than I did for my first wedding.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

sponsored links
anthony667
Joined Mar 2017
NYC
Mar 27, 2017 12:29 |  #17

Its a great start as you are bouncing light efficiently and getting nice soft shadows in the right places. On another note I would recommend using either slower shutter speed, or lower flash+higher iso, this is suggested to get brighter backgrounds and not kill the ambient light. Personally I don't use any diffuser caps, just point the flash to the direction you want the light to be coming from so I can get nice shadows that give the portraits depth.

"Always keep practicing to achieve higher levels of artistry, never be satisfied with your work, and never start to believe that you know everything because that's the day you will stop growing as an artist"

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Jun 19, 2017 19:49 |  #18

GREAT WORK!

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Jun 20, 2017 17:25 |  #19

erikfig wrote in post #18382324 (external link)
GREAT WORK!

Thanks, Erik

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

MBB89
234 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 20, 2017 21:45 |  #20

I'm personally more of a fan of the ISO 1600 and f/2-f/2.8 look with the ambient but to each their own. For bounce flash these are totally decent. As you gain experience it will be well worth learning how to use OCF.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Jun 21, 2017 13:15 |  #21

Nice and clear. #2 doesn't do it for me. The brides expression doesn't really convey the correct emotion for me. Fantastic first paid gig. Do you mind if I posted a couple from my first pad gig 2 yrs back?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

cubatahavana
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Jun 22, 2017 02:20 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #22

Go ahead!

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

Chris.R
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Chris.R. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 22, 2017 03:47 |  #23

I think a lot of these will be very happily accepted.
There's often an enthusiastic amateur doing similar things at a wedding reception though. A lot of us do some of this free for friends, I know I get asked rather often. You could raise the level with post processing in some cases, eg by dealing with some of the distracting elements. You can crop bright highlights off the edge of frames, or tone them down where they're "growing out of someone's head" such as in #6. (I'm sure if you took #6 again you'd hide that light behind the head.)
With#5, did you really want the white blob by the lady's face? I bet you didn't.
#2 - lose the yellow blob top left, and the line coming out of the mouth of the guy on the right. Crop tighter, maybe.

It's a tricky balance between "unposed" and "arrranged". Once you have your "grabbing the moment" shot, try another a second or two later with some quick thinking to improve what you can - you'll often be able to clone between images.

I'm always surprised how little non-photographers care about things which photo-geeks hate, so a tight crop is often successful. If you get colour noise, desaturate it to the surrounding colour and people accept it as "grain".

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Jun 22, 2017 09:25 |  #24

This was just under 2 yrs ago. Lovely family. I have improved as you will too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 22, 2017 09:40 |  #25

98kellrs wrote in post #18166867 (external link)
I think they'll love them!

Crisp, clear and with nice atmosphere, great captures! :-)

Ryan said it best and I agree.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Christian ­ Colista
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 14, 2017 14:44 |  #26

Very good for your first wedding!

Christian Colista
Hochzeitsfotograf Christian Colista (external link)
Visit my wedding blog (external link)
Follow me on Instagram (external link), Facebook (external link), Google+ (external link), Youtube (external link) or Twitter (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 27, 2017 23:29 |  #27

Not bad but you need to work on your settings and flash work. ocf is probably too fancy for you at this point but just experiment with swiveling that speedlite around

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

Riversifu
Joined Feb 2011
Oregon
Oct 01, 2017 12:36 |  #28

Number 3 is stellar. That is one for your portfolio. Nice work.

sponsored links

7,743 views & 8 likes for this thread
First paid wedding. Let me know what you think
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.