Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 14 Nov 2016 (Monday) 21:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Limited CF/SD Card Game

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,965 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Post has been edited 11 months ago by CameraMan.
Nov 14, 2016 21:15 |  #1

OK, so I've had this idea for several years now. I have very small sized CF cards ranging from 8MB to 1GB are my smallest. In my 40D I can use a 512MB card and usually get 33 - 36 photos.

What this does is it makes you be REAL selective with your shots. Because if you're only limited to 30 - 40 shots then you're going to keep the best ones right? :)

So, here's what to do. Grab a card that will get you at the most 36 - 40 shots on one card at your highest resolution. Or you can be more daring and try a smaller card that will get you 10 - 15 shots on one card. But bring ONLY THAT CARD. Don't bring extras. That's cheating.

OK, so you take your shots, use Lightroom or whatever you like to use to make contact sheets (Google Contact Sheets in whatever program you're using to do this). Make a JPG with all of your images on one sheet and upload it here.

Lightroom Instructions are here:

-Start by selecting the folder or the collection that contains the images that you want to add to the contact sheet.
-Launch the Print module and, from the Template Browser, select one of the contact sheet options.
-There are a few grid layouts including two with square image cells – a 4 x 8, and a 5 x 8.

I used the 5x8 layout for mine below.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I went to the State Park near me at around 5:00PM. I was there for about an hour. It's amazing how little time you really have once the sun starts going down. This was before the time change so the sun was beginning to set at around 6:30.

When I arrived, I pulled off to the side of the road headed down a steep hill. The trees and the landscape were surreal [IMG_9903 - IMG_9909]. I took 7 shots facing in 3 or 4 different directions/angles. Then I continued down to the bottom of the hill and parked by the river. I walked down a trail and took some shots of the river and of the trail [IMG_9910 - IMG_9918]. The trail was sandy and grassy. I came upon a tree that had been broken loose from the ground but had not fallen [IMG_9913 - IMG_9914]. It was just leaning up against another tree. How dangerous, but spectacular! I headed down the path some more (under the half fallen tree) trying to find a place where I could walk out onto the very shallow river. It hasn't rained here in about a month so rivers are getting low. I sudden;y stopped. I heard what sounded like a rattle snake and decided to head back and get off the trail.

When I returned, I got in my truck and headed about another 200 yards towards the end of the gravel road. I got out and ventured my way onto the rocks near the river. grabbing some low shots and some general shots of the river. I brought no special filters (ND, Graduated, etc) so I had to rely on spur of the moment shots.

One of my last shots by the river was lost (tree by the picnic table). The sun was shining through the colorful leaves and it looked remarkable [IMG_9926]! However... An older gentleman also with a Canon (A T3i I believe) had locked himself out of his Jeep. So I helped him retrieve his keys and by the time we were done the sun had already moved out of the tree. Opportunity lost but I met a really nice person who was there doing the same thing I was doing.

Heading out, I decided to stop near the entrance. Quite a ways up from where I was, the view was spectacular. The sun was bright orange and all I could think of was Sun, Tree... SILHOUETTE!!! [IMG_9930 - IMG_9938] I tried a few different positions with the tree and the sun. Sun on the right, sun on the left but my favorite ones were sun directly behind the tree.

So there's mine. Anyone care to join me with this experiment? These probably aren't ALL my best. I was kind of in a hurry (had errands to run and was losing daylight quickly). Next time out I'll be more selective.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

900 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Limited CF/SD Card Game
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.