Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Nov 2016 (Tuesday) 04:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #612 - Style & Expression

CarloY
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by CarloY. 8 edits done in total.
Nov 15, 2016 04:31 |  #1

Challenge #612 - Style & Expression

Style might be something that catches your attention, or you simply appreciate that it is there. Style could be creative design, fashionable clothing elements, maybe some home or office interior decorating arrangement. And more.
(I'd prefer not to simply judge full-length fashion model & wardrobe... however if you have an entry that highlights key elements of such style, go for it.) Have fun.

Expression (if you can work that in as well) might be some_thing that comes off as: quirky, Bohemian, mixed-art, luxurious, bold, asserting individuality, or declaring unity. ...or many other fun impressions and serious meanings you might see.

I will judge loosely: Hopefully on quality photography, but maybe just on a fun item.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 21 November 2016.

Photo Submissions
1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge. Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you.

-------------
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=113480

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=59640

===============
Okay, the results are in.

Trumper.
Good. Except I found the near-field, out of focus piece distracting. Had the scene been more coherent, then maybe 'yes'.

M-Six
LL_Bean Style. A contender. I like the bold and clear presentation, plus the related touches out of focus in the background.

Pictoraider
Sento_50
Indeed! I dynamic show of style. I wonder if a bit of cropping could have made this more dramatic, and have it stand out. Nonetheless a good fit to the theme-- here, about getting around in style.

Maureen
"Dapper" ... Given social media's heavy hand, I think that word has been removed from the Oxford dictionary for lack of relevance. Fortunately some of us remember the subtle nuances of the past. Good show and good photo-taking.

JimAskew
Old Toys
I like it. Matches the theme. Just does not stand out. I wonder if some PP could enhance the photo to make more of a statement?

---------------
1st Place Maureen = "Dapper..." Nicely done and just stands out and speaks to me. That draws me in and I am in a different place and time. Isn't this stuff fun?

2nd Place M_Six = "LL Bean Style" Also nicely done. Fits the theme for sure. Crisp and stands out, with subtle background cues of leather etc. Good show.

3rd Place Pictoraider ="...Sento50..." Definitely asserts the theme. Almost a winner. I think I would have preferred to have this cropped to emphasize the bike and rider even more. Some PP could make this one pop, IMO.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

sponsored links
Trumper
736 posts
Joined May 2003
Nov 15, 2016 11:15 |  #2

G1XMK11
Silver,style ,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Nov 15, 2016 12:12 |  #3

G7x

LL Bean Style

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5654/22508395802_1edc03fe5c_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AhZp​TG] (external link)Watch Macro (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider.
Nov 16, 2016 09:14 |  #4

"The Sento50 Lady Biker"
G1-X Mark II, 12mm, f2,8 & 1/160s, 1000 ISO.

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Nov 17, 2016 00:52 |  #5

Dapper Gentlemen

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew.
Nov 17, 2016 08:37 |  #6

Old Toys Had Style!
G5X: f/2.5, 1/30th, ISO 125, 9MM

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Nov 22, 2016 00:33 |  #7

Thanks all for participating.

For everyone.... welcome your comments and hope to have you join-in next time.

Results are posted at the top.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Trumper
736 posts
Joined May 2003
Nov 22, 2016 04:45 |  #8

:-) Well done Maureen ,very dapper indeed :)
I agree with Carlo 's comments about my photo,i did try to crop it a bit but never seemed to work entirely .It was quite a difficult subject to interpret and quite a spread of subjects .
Well done everyone ,Thank you for hosting

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Nov 22, 2016 08:52 |  #9

Well done to all :-). Lots of styling going on this week. Congratulations to Mo and the top tier crew! This was a fun challenge and well done judging by Carlo :-)

I agree Carlo my photo could use a little PS magic to amp it up.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Nov 22, 2016 09:10 |  #10

Kudos, Maureen. Great shot. Dapper dudes, indeed.

Nice shots, everyone. Good topic. Hadn't seen that one before.

Mark J.
Gear

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by CarloY.
Nov 22, 2016 12:31 |  #11

M_Six wrote in post #18191527 (external link)
Nice shots, everyone. Good topic. Hadn't seen that one before.

I had hoped it would be stimulating enough and broad-scoping enough to give folks many interpretations.

I recently watched the james bond movie Spectre. There Daniel Craig wore a 'modern' suit... close tapered and skinny legs. I just don't get some of these fashion trends. The conforming.

I do like however the variety of individual expression --- tennis shoes with a dozen colours and mix of patterns, 'yes' watches...sure. Funny things in one's Front Yard (not so much 20 gnomes, though).

I used duckduckgo search (express style shoe -- selecting 'images') to test this out. Got quite a variety of photos there, so thought it would be good.

Cheers,
Carlo

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Nov 22, 2016 13:37 |  #12

I don't get the modern suit trend either. It always looks to me like the person wearing it went shopping in the boys section at Sears.

Mark J.
Gear

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Maureen Souza.
Nov 22, 2016 13:39 |  #13

Well I am out of town & will be on the train tonight to home so if you can all bear with me, I will get the new challenge up late tonight. If you want to get thinking about what to shoot, think Thanksgiving & Thankful for the theme.

Thanks to Carlo for the win & congrats to Mark & Pictoraider. Would be nice to see a few more entries......;-)a

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 23, 2016 11:04 |  #14

CarloY wrote in post #18184879 (external link)
Challenge #612 - Style & Expression
Pictoraider
Sento_50
Indeed! I dynamic show of style. I wonder if a bit of cropping could have made this more dramatic, and have it stand out. Nonetheless a good fit to the theme-- here, about getting around in style.
...Almost a winner. I think I would have preferred to have this cropped to emphasize the bike and rider even more. Some PP could make this one pop, IMO.

Congratulation to eveyone. Nice entries.

Mine was a try. I saw the two women located on the diagonale guiding line at each opposite part of the frame, i noticed they were linked by the pedestrian crossing but at the same time were quite unlike each other. The background walking woman dressed in an anonymous grey coat was a welcome element to help me build my image and make my colorful dynamic foreground Sento50 rider pop out...Unfortunately, i was shooting cool street photography in mode M by a cloudy day and the exposure to the existing ambient light was so far 1/160 s & f2,8 for 1000 ISO. I had not a second left to change anything. As the selected shutter speed was too slow, i knew i could not properly freeze the scene. I could only attemp my best to pan the fast coming lady biker. So i paned and clicked. The result is not an achieved one. I didn't get the image i had in mind, i just put my intention in the box. Maybe i will be offered a second chance to make this kind of image, maybe one of you will get it if he/she comes across a similar situation one next day. I hope so. It's why i posted my unachieved entry.

The cool street photography pictures i was collecting wandering along the streets of Paris during this cloudy day : at 1/160 s & f2,8 and 1000 ISO...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider.
Nov 23, 2016 11:16 |  #15

I have been waiting for a while beside the V8 Mustang but i did not see any uncommon smart dressed american driver coming and filling my frame...:rolleyes:

Regards,

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #612 - Style & Expression
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.