Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 17 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 19:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My First Ever Gay Wedding!!!

choicejadephotography
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Post has been edited 11 months ago by choicejadephotography.
Nov 17, 2016 19:15 |  #1

I did my first ever gay wedding this past weekend.

They eloped and it was super short. I was a bit nervous and am not quite happy with the results.

Thoughts?

Also, I found myself struggling with poses. For those of you who are more experienced, do you shoot/pose same-sex couples differently?

More photos here: Same-Sex Wedding in Forest Park (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/gay-wedding-in-Forest-Park-St.-Louis-11.jpg

a st. louis wedding photographer (external link), blending photojournalism and fine art, striving to create fresh, dynamic, and timeless imagery for sophisticated couples in the greater st. louis metropolitan area and beyond.

sponsored links
LucasCK
348 posts
Joined May 2010
Nov 17, 2016 20:21 |  #2

I have now done 3 same sex weddings. (2 women and 1 men). Posing is a bit more difficult I agree. For same sex couples I try to base it around who is the tallest and place them in the traditional groom pose.

Your photos look good though

5d4, 2x6d, 5d2, 24-70L II, Sigma 35A 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, 135 2.0L, 430ex2, 600ex-rt
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com (external link)
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com ...ane-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

choicejadephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Nov 17, 2016 20:24 |  #3

LucasCK wrote in post #18187559 (external link)
I have now done 3 same sex weddings. (2 women and 1 men). Posing is a bit more difficult I agree. For same sex couples I try to base it around who is the tallest and place them in the traditional groom pose.

Thanks for the tip!

a st. louis wedding photographer (external link), blending photojournalism and fine art, striving to create fresh, dynamic, and timeless imagery for sophisticated couples in the greater st. louis metropolitan area and beyond.

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Nov 18, 2016 05:33 |  #4

I've only ever shot 1 same sex wedding which was 2 women who were both in white dresses so posing was a bit different but I tried to treat them like any other couple. Asking them to cuddle, kiss, smile and laugh is no different to any other couple.

I haven't clicked your link but the photo you've posted looks great.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

choicejadephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Nov 19, 2016 15:29 |  #5

BlackBull wrote in post #18187777 (external link)
I've only ever shot 1 same sex wedding which was 2 women who were both in white dresses so posing was a bit different but I tried to treat them like any other couple. Asking them to cuddle, kiss, smile and laugh is no different to any other couple.

I haven't clicked your link but the photo you've posted looks great.

Thanks!

The problem is, a lot of traditional poses that I tried on them simply don't work for me: hey looked super awkward :-(

choicejadephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Dec 05, 2016 08:50 as a reply to choicejadephotography's post |  #6

So I've been reading Kathryn Hamm and Thea Dodds' book, The New Art of Capturing Love: The Essential Guide to Lesbian and Gay Wedding Photography. It has been very helpful so far. I highly recommend it!

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010
Dec 05, 2016 13:13 |  #7

choicejadephotography wrote in post #18203922 (external link)
So I've been reading Kathryn Hamm and Thea Dodds' book, The New Art of Capturing Love: The Essential Guide to Lesbian and Gay Wedding Photography. It has been very helpful so far. I highly recommend it!

You should also try watching gay flicks, you'd be amazed how much tips and inspirations you'll grt from it.

evolyllaphotography
Joined Dec 2016
Toronto
Dec 22, 2016 17:02 |  #8

I look forward to shooting my first gay wedding too! Great thread.

Toronto Documentary Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Dec 22, 2016 21:37 |  #9

Not a wedding shooter, but was asked by a lesbian couple who admired my work to shoot their special day. "Oh it is going to be a simple affair with a few friends and family." Ends up being a big deal with tons of great food, lots of booze, and dancing to a large mariachi band. At the end of the night I sheepishly explained that "I thought this was going to be a small affair." The couple explained..... "Hey we're hispanic, this IS considered a small affair." Good gracious! Bottom line, they were delighted with my pics, and I was compensated well, yay. So that was my first experience with a gay, HISPANIC wedding. : )

sponsored links

2,769 views & 9 likes for this thread
My First Ever Gay Wedding!!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.