Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 19 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 18:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS (yes, IS) Announced.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Nov 22, 2016 02:37 |  #16

I'd guess you could look at how the 35L increased in size and weight then apply a similar proportion to the 85L II

Gear List

sponsored links
pankajkumars
Joined Jun 2011
Faridabad, DELHI NCR, India
Nov 22, 2016 03:24 |  #17

The new lens will certainly be an add-on in the existing line-up.

6D | 24-105L | 35L | 85mm 1.2 IIL | 70-200 2.8 IS II L
flickr pankajks (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Nov 22, 2016 03:59 |  #18

I'm not so sure. I can see precedents for it hanging around in the range like the original non IS variants of the 70-200/2.8L and 70-200/4L zooms have.

However the 200/2L IS and the 50/1.2L IMO were closer matched precedents for this rumoured lens - to my knowledge the 200/1.8L and 50/1.0L did not remain in the lineup beyond sales of existing stock. Neither did the 80-200/2.8L or the 28-70/2.8L zooms.

We'll have to wait and see, firstly if this rumoured lens does appear (IMO f/1.4 is more likely than f/1.2 and IS is sensible though introduction on this lens will be another precedent in itself), and secondly what they choose to do with the popular f/1.2L.

Gear List

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Nov 22, 2016 12:36 |  #19

Monkey moss wrote in post #18191335 (external link)
This sounds promising to me. I don't need f1.2 and to be fair I probably don't need f1.4, but it would be nice to have it and I'd like to upgrade my 1.8 at some point in the future.

The primes I have are light and I like this about them so a heavy L lens wouldnt necessarily be perfect for me.

What do you guys think the weight would be compared to the current 1.2? A little bit heavier (because a lot of the newer lenses seem to be?), a little bit lighter because of the 1.2-1.4, a little bit heavier because of IS. About the same?!

An accurate measure of a quality lens other than it's cost is it's weight. More Big Glass means more weight and to hold that glass a more robust heavy duty body is required. Just look at the front element of the 85L, it's huge, the large lens diameter of course goes along with weight. I agree with others in this thread and believe that a f/1.4 "L" with Image Stabilisation is more likely to be equal in weight if not heavier than the 85L f/1.2.

Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,724 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 22, 2016 23:18 |  #20

so being that this is still a rumor...and even the rumor is saying maybe announced late 2017...i wonder just how many other f1.4 stabilized lenses will be released before this one makes it out...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

JohnnyLa
Joined Feb 2017
Apr 02, 2017 13:50 |  #21

I wonder what this will mean in terms of price for the older 85mm 1.2. Could see a nice drop in price for those who would rather purchase the original.

Johnny La
Mr. La Photography
www.mrlaphotography.co​m (external link)
Canon 6D | Canon 60D | 135L | 50L

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Post has been edited 7 months ago by umphotography.
Apr 18, 2017 09:21 |  #22

I predict canon will loose its shorts with this release. Its gonna be someplace close to 2K

I just put a Sigma 85 art on my 1Dx2...blown away...lighting fast with the AF. bokeh is awesome and on par with the opus and is $1199.00......Why in the heck would I spend 2K plus when the arts are this good ???

Its why 35L sales tanked. The art is dam close

Canon is going the way of pocket wizard with their primes if they dont wake up.

Im not going to wait...Im buying the art

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 17, 2017 11:58 |  #23

umphotography wrote in post #18331071 (external link)
I predict canon will loose its shorts with this release. Its gonna be someplace close to 2K

I just put a Sigma 85 art on my 1Dx2...blown away...lighting fast with the AF. bokeh is awesome and on par with the opus and is $1199.00......Why in the heck would I spend 2K plus when the arts are this good ???

Its why 35L sales tanked. The art is dam close

Canon is going the way of pocket wizard with their primes if they dont wake up.

Im not going to wait...Im buying the art

The 35mm f/1.4L II is much better than the Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 when it comes to autofocus and CA. I hear the Sigma 85 Art has improved on autofocus, although I'll prob pass until I can compare the Canon version when it comes out. Been burned too many times by third party.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

NemethR
840 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Pécs, Hungary
May 23, 2017 06:21 |  #24

I am really looking forward to this one.

The only thing I am not looking forward is the price tag...

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Canon EOS 5Ds | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT | Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT

NemethR
840 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Pécs, Hungary
May 23, 2017 09:06 |  #25

PCousins wrote in post #18190424 (external link)
I presume it's the mark II version your about to get. You can get an excellent hardly used one for $1200, If and when the rumoured one comes out it will surely be priced over $2,000.

The current 85 f/1.2 will be half a stop faster than the rumoured one. It's fun to use, it's a challenge to use, it takes patience to master it....but when you have nailed it....It's unbeatable. It truly is a wonderful lens.

A large aperture allows the use of fast shutter speeds when shooting in low light. IS is not needed. Not once did I wish my 85L(II) had IS. You will be paying the extra money for something that is not needed at all.

My opinion is don't wait just buy the 85L (II) you will not regret it.

Well, I already sold my 85mm 1.2 MK II, for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, JUST because, I can sell the 70-200 better (at a better price), and faster, then I can the 85 1.2 when the 1.4 IS comes out.

Unlike you, I wished for a 1.4 IS 85mm lens for a "long" time.
Yes, the 85mm 1.2 is great, but the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 is almost nothing.
Yet IS will give even more handheldability, in low light conditions.

So for me, the 1.4 IS is a much better lens then the 1.2 - And most likely it will be sharper too.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jun 08, 2017 09:44 |  #26

Right now, as of this date, The sigma 85 art is the best 85 on the market. I purchased one because I know Canon is going to ridiculously price this new L when it comes out. After using this new art non stop for the past 2 months I can state that It has no flaws, AF is outstanding, color contrast outstanding, and Bokeh is as good as the opus at 5K

Canons current 85L is not a good fit for my needs. AF is miserable slow to the point that its a hinderance, AF is also very inconsistent.

I have NO DOUBT that Canon will address the flaws in the current 85L in its line up. I dont see IS being a huge factor especially with the newer sensors being so clean. Just crank up your ISO and get a decent Shutter speed

Its all going to boil down to Price and AF performance...If canon does not pick up the pace with AF speed, then sigma will dominate the 85 class.

Bokeh is so subjective. Color and contrast is subject to taste

Canon has its hands full. They have overpriced their products and allowed a 3rd party company to catch up. Sigmas arts are as good as its going to get. The Sigma 85 art is the best 85 on the market and when canons 85L comes out, photographers will have a hard time paying 2K to support canon when at $1200.00 you can buy a product that is as good.............and thats assuming the 85L is going to be as good as this sigma 85 art is

Canon needs to wake up or they will follow the same fate as Pocket Wizard. Its already Happening with their lighting products. Godox has put them out to pasture

Wake up Canon

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

NemethR
840 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Pécs, Hungary
Post has been edited 5 months ago by NemethR.
Jun 08, 2017 23:23 |  #27

umphotography wrote in post #18373878 (external link)
Right now, as of this date, The sigma 85 art is the best 85 on the market. I purchased one because I know Canon is going to ridiculously price this new L when it comes out. After using this new art non stop for the past 2 months I can state that It has no flaws, AF is outstanding, color contrast outstanding, and Bokeh is as good as the opus at 5K

I have the total oposit experience.

My friend purchased a 50 1.4 Art, then he said, AF is very bad, but maybe its just his Body, az it vas an entry level 1100D.
So we agreed to try it on my 5Ds. But then I heard, that another one of my friends also purchased a Sigma 30mm Art, and he has the same issues. So we agreed to meet, and test the lenses. Because I was curious, I additionally went to a store nearby, and rented a 85mm Art, because I wanted to try it vs. my 85L II anyway, and now it seemed to be a good idea.

So we tested them all.
The 50 1.4, the 30 1.4 and the 85 1.4 All Art lenses.
On the following 4 bodies: My 5Ds, an 1100D, a 100D and a 70D
The test was simple, we focused handheld with AF on, on various things, portraits of each other, or a Canon that was not currently used, the neck strap, a Tree, a standing Car, etc...
So I an say this was no laboratory test, but a real life test.

The 50mm 1.4 Art was the wors, missing focus 9 out of 10 times on all 4 bodies.
The 30mm 1.4 Art was doing better, but was still missing 5-6 times out of 10 on 3 bodies. Surprisingly on the 100D it was ok.
The 85mm 1.4 Art was even better, but still was missing AF 3-4 times out of 10 on the 5Ds, and 70D, and around 5-6 times on the 100D and 1100D.

In contrast my 85L II was spot on 10/10 times on all bodies except the 1100D, where it missed 1 picture, so 9/10.
So my experience with the 85 Art is:
Yes it has a bit faster AF then the 85L II, but what good is fast AF, when it is unreliable?!
Yes, the 85 Art might be sharper, but what good is extra sharpness, when the AF is unreliable?

To this comes that 3 out of 3 Sigma Art lenses failed out test.

Next move was to send the 50 1.4 and the 30 1.4 back for repairs.
They repaired the 50 Art, but I did not try since, my friend says it much better now, but is still missing AF sometimes.
The did NOT repair the 30 Art, saying that Af is in acceptable range, and can be adjusted with a Docker.
Like WHAT?! I should pay even more money (above the not so cheap price tag), so that I calibrate my own lens?!
Sorry but no, if I buy a lens with that price tag, brand new, the least thing I expect is that it works properly. If not, it should be repaired/changed to a new one.

So for me, Sigma failed Epicly, and there is no way I will ever buy, or recommend someone to buy a Sigma lens.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jun 09, 2017 09:04 |  #28

NemethR wrote in post #18374342 (external link)
I have the total oposit experience.

My friend purchased a 50 1.4 Art, then he said, AF is very bad, but maybe its just his Body, az it vas an entry level 1100D.
So we agreed to try it on my 5Ds. But then I heard, that another one of my friends also purchased a Sigma 30mm Art, and he has the same issues. So we agreed to meet, and test the lenses. Because I was curious, I additionally went to a store nearby, and rented a 85mm Art, because I wanted to try it vs. my 85L II anyway, and now it seemed to be a good idea.

So we tested them all.
The 50 1.4, the 30 1.4 and the 85 1.4 All Art lenses.
On the following 4 bodies: My 5Ds, an 1100D, a 100D and a 70D
The test was simple, we focused handheld with AF on, on various things, portraits of each other, or a Canon that was not currently used, the neck strap, a Tree, a standing Car, etc...
So I an say this was no laboratory test, but a real life test.

The 50mm 1.4 Art was the wors, missing focus 9 out of 10 times on all 4 bodies.
The 30mm 1.4 Art was doing better, but was still missing 5-6 times out of 10 on 3 bodies. Surprisingly on the 100D it was ok.
The 85mm 1.4 Art was even better, but still was missing AF 3-4 times out of 10 on the 5Ds, and 70D, and around 5-6 times on the 100D and 1100D.

In contrast my 85L II was spot on 10/10 times on all bodies except the 1100D, where it missed 1 picture, so 9/10.
So my experience with the 85 Art is:
Yes it has a bit faster AF then the 85L II, but what good is fast AF, when it is unreliable?!
Yes, the 85 Art might be sharper, but what good is extra sharpness, when the AF is unreliable?

To this comes that 3 out of 3 Sigma Art lenses failed out test.

Next move was to send the 50 1.4 and the 30 1.4 back for repairs.
They repaired the 50 Art, but I did not try since, my friend says it much better now, but is still missing AF sometimes.
The did NOT repair the 30 Art, saying that Af is in acceptable range, and can be adjusted with a Docker.
Like WHAT?! I should pay even more money (above the not so cheap price tag), so that I calibrate my own lens?!
Sorry but no, if I buy a lens with that price tag, brand new, the least thing I expect is that it works properly. If not, it should be repaired/changed to a new one.

So for me, Sigma failed Epicly, and there is no way I will ever buy, or recommend someone to buy a Sigma lens.

Ahaha. For me absolute opposite. I have yet to have a missed shot with the 85 Art. Im using a 5D3 and a 1Dx2. On the 1Dx2 it is outstanding. these are all straight off camera files with a LR import setting. Last 2 weekends for weddings

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jun 09, 2017 09:08 |  #29

We demand absolute top notch results from our equipment of we dont buy and return them immediately. I throughly test for 203 days before zi decide to keep or send back. This 85 Art has been spit of since it came out of the box. Si Im totally opposite of what you are saying and I never got anywhere close for 10 for 10 with the 85L......Never ever for me...canon tried to tell me it was improper technique...are you fricken kidding me. 40 yrs with a camera in my hands and improper technique ??...i was pissed

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

NemethR
840 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Pécs, Hungary
Jun 09, 2017 23:33 |  #30

umphotography wrote in post #18374519 (external link)
We demand absolute top notch results from our equipment of we dont buy and return them immediately. I throughly test for 203 days before zi decide to keep or send back. This 85 Art has been spit of since it came out of the box. Si Im totally opposite of what you are saying and I never got anywhere close for 10 for 10 with the 85L......Never ever for me...canon tried to tell me it was improper technique...are you fricken kidding me. 40 yrs with a camera in my hands and improper technique ??...i was pissed

Yes, and this is what confuses me...
Because there are two groups of people, those, for whom Sigma works, and those for whom it does not.

For those, for whom it works, it works outstanding, and they praise them a lot.
For those, for whom it does not work, they fail epicly.

And I am very confused with this for a long time now, because I cannot find a reason why this would be so.
Is this dependant, on where the lenses are manufactured, like Manufacturing plant A makes the good ones, and plant B makes the bad ones?
Or is it really an improper technique? Where the ones for whom Sigma works, and Canon does not use the improper technique (from canon standpoint), and those who use the proper technique, find that sigma does not work?!

I have no idea. I also cannot imagine, that (even a chinese company) would sell half of their lenses in a state where they just simply do not work...

So yes, all I hear from some people is how good the Sigma lenses are.
And others say how bad they are.
And I cannot figure out why this is so, I cannot understand why for some it works like a charm, and for some it simply just fails.

Unfortunately I am in the group of people for whom they do not work, and thrust me I would like to use them, based on how statisfied those people are, for whom they work.

sponsored links

18,902 views & 79 likes for this thread
New Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS (yes, IS) Announced.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.