Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 17 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 21:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

2015 iMac 10 Bit Display

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 17, 2016 21:53 |  #1

I thought this might be good information for those who might be thinking about getting a new 5k iMac (Late 2015).

I just got mine (27") last month and today got PS CC 2015 installed and low and behold this thing does in fact have a 10 Bit (30 Bit total) Display. Very cool.

I discovered the setting both in Photoshop>Preferences>Performance>Advanced, enabled it, and then did the following...

In Adobe Photoshop CS6 create new file
900 px wide and 300 px tall
RGB color and 16 bit
Use gradient tool to create gray scale gradient from RGB: 64/64/64 to RGB: 96/96/96
Safe file as 16 bit tif file

I then turned on/off the 30 Bit setting in PS and sure enough, the image was banded with 30 Bit off and smooth with 30 Bit enabled.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by drisley.
Jan 17, 2016 21:55 |  #2

System Info

HOSTED PHOTO

BJ_Nguyen
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Nov 24, 2016 14:14 |  #3

Thank you for your infos ! I just got the 27 imac 5k also. Do you notice that the pictures are warmer or something wrong with my eyes :) ? Which Display Profile you're using sir ?

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 24, 2016 15:17 as a reply to BJ_Nguyen's post |  #4

The display seems to be quite accurate for me and my prints, also match my iPhone exactly. I am using the default "iMac" display profile.

ashleykaryl
202 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 24, 2016 16:50 |  #5

drisley wrote in post #18193752 (external link)
The display seems to be quite accurate for me and my prints, also match my iPhone exactly. I am using the default "iMac" display profile.

You should really have the display hardware calibrated and then do so once every month or so. All displays drift over time but profiling keeps them consistent and accurate for as long as possible.

X-Rite Coloratti Pro, Phase One Ambassador
Author of Colour Management Pro
https://colourmanageme​ntpro.com (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 27, 2016 19:01 |  #6

Interesting...just checked my 2014 iMac and it was already checked, but I unchecked it and there is a very noticeable difference. I've never had to calibrate mine, it very closely matches my Epson 7900.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

ashleykaryl
202 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by ashleykaryl. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 28, 2016 03:45 |  #7

ShotByTom wrote in post #18196450 (external link)
Interesting...just checked my 2014 iMac and it was already checked, but I unchecked it and there is a very noticeable difference. I've never had to calibrate mine, it very closely matches my Epson 7900.

I'm guessing this a bit of forum mischief, since it's hard to believe anybody would be using an Epson 7900 and never even checked the display calibration in a couple of years. I hope you are not serious because the cost of a basic display calibrator is probably no more than you are charging for a single print...

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 28, 2016 11:51 as a reply to ashleykaryl's post |  #8

Nope, I've never had a problem at all. I primarily sell canvas prints, but occasionally I print Luster and metallic paper. I know there are die-hard calibration people who swear you MUST use a calibration tool, but I've never had a need for one. There are many ways to get your colors right.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

ashleykaryl
202 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 28, 2016 12:36 |  #9

ShotByTom wrote in post #18196986 (external link)
Nope, I've never had a problem at all. I primarily sell canvas prints, but occasionally I print Luster and metallic paper. I know there are die-hard calibration people who swear you MUST use a calibration tool, but I've never had a need for one. There are many ways to get your colors right.

There must be countless photo labs, retouchers, design agencies, prepress studios and professional printers all over the world who would love to learn your many ways of obtaining perfect colour every time without ever using a calibration tool.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 28, 2016 16:17 as a reply to ashleykaryl's post |  #10

I'm picking up on your sarcasm....and it's not necessary. I understand that you probably calibrate your computers, tablets, phones, TV's and everything else you slap that puck on, but not everyone does things the way you do. There's nothing wrong with that...I've never had a client ask if my monitor has been color corrected.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

ashleykaryl
202 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 28, 2016 17:03 as a reply to ShotByTom's post |  #11

It wasn't intended as sarcasm. I am genuinely perplexed why you wouldn't spend $100 on a basic calibrator just to ensure the various computer displays in your studio or at home are set up according to industry standards. This is peanuts in the context of a business printing every day.

I understand you may not be working regularly with prepress or design agencies, but as a simple point of workflow consistency it makes sense to calibrate your displays and of course you need accurate printer profiles. For the record I only calibrate the display on my desktop computers. I don't have a laptop and the rest is not used for work.

sponsored links

1,983 views & 3 likes for this thread
2015 iMac 10 Bit Display
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.