Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 03 Apr 2006 (Monday) 12:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Shooting 'the streets/candids' - all the tips!

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
May 28, 2013 19:34 |  #346

So my advice put the zooms and the long lenses away. Get a normal or wide prime and get down there in it. Learn to use the DoF scales on the lens because no auto focus in the world is faster than being pre focused. Go spend some time looking at the work of those that really did it well. Learn to incorporate visual elements in the frame to help support the subject and the visual statement.

A list of those whose work you might want to study. Not to copy but to see how they used visual elements and visual language to build interesting photographs. Read about their philosophies and their approaches to the medium. And then get out there and have fun...

Robert Frank
Joel Meyerowitz
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Garry Winogrand
Bruce Davidson
Roy DeCarava
Bruce Gilden

These are a few and all had very different styles and approaches.

sponsored links
olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Apr 04, 2015 16:48 |  #347

Here are tech tips for those, who shoots with Fuji x100 cameras - my blog post was featured on PetaPixel as well [there you can get marvelous comment galore as well, heh]. Might work for you or not :]

Over my pageexternal link or over PPexternal link.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Nov 16, 2015 03:26 |  #348

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15977294 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Colon Bar ... what dat?

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,965 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 16, 2015 10:18 |  #349

condyk wrote in post #17785572 (external link)
Colon Bar ... what dat?

Color Bar.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Nov 16, 2015 16:15 |  #350

OhLook wrote in post #17785861 (external link)
Color Bar.

:-P OK, I did wonder. Don't get no colon treatments down at my barber shop, I know USA is different!

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

Gungnir
Joined Sep 2005
Suffolk, England
Mar 13, 2016 01:39 |  #351

The urge to go out and try street candids finally overcame my anxiety at doing so. I didn't get any images to be proud of but posted a few on here as technically they are currently my best candids he he.

As a learning excercise it was crucial and everything the experienced members have posted here proved to be true. It took about two hours to go from creepy photographer everyone noticed to realising most people are flattered by the attention (people smile at you rather than snarl!) and I started enjoying it.

Try it.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'

jamesepoop
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2016
May 19, 2016 21:23 |  #352

Don't be afraid to get close to your subject and in front of someone's face. Most of my interesting shots, I was able to fill the frame. Sometimes the subject would acknowledge and play along. Don't be that creeper with the 200-400. Although you might get something, you might as well as be stalking people. That's not a good feeling and not good etiquette in my book.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 10 months ago by kf095.
Nov 26, 2016 22:53 |  #353

Interesting and nice thread. It was started couple of years before I have started to take pictures on the street.

Reading about Garry Winogrand lessons and watching John Free videos helped me with how to behave with camera on the streets. Reading Henri Cartier-Bresson writings made me thinking even more.
Studying and understanding geometry and fundamentals of art is one the the key parts to be able to see something good and frame it.

Don't be afraid to be different on exposure. Sharpness and focus is as good as motion blur and OOF.

Candid photography is next to fishing. If you want to have some bites go to where it is unusual. It is like on the lake, fish comes to where wind shore it. Best salmon fishing is in stormy waters. Go where wind is blowing and light is harsh. Big fish is always near the small fish schools. Find the crowd, look from the side.
Set the hook not early, not to late. Watch and Wait.
I went from hundreds of pictures within few hours to dozen or two frames per day. I'm trying to take it only if I want to see it the the print. Amount of keepers is not related to amount of taken exposures.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

151,327 views & 8 likes for this thread
Shooting 'the streets/candids' - all the tips!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.