Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Mobile Device Cameras
Thread started 02 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 21:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

iPhone 7 and DNG

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Nov 02, 2016 21:33 |  #1

The iPhone 7 has the capability of recording photos as DNG files....but not with the ios camera app. There are apps to download to the phone which will allow for DNG. I have a couple of those. My issue is that I have not found a way to export those files (to a PC) as DNG. Files exported are all JPG. Now, is seems that if one subscribes to Adobe's CC, it might be able to be done through Lightroom Mobile. I'm not willing to do that when I have a (now, almost) perfectly good copy of LR6.

Does anyone know of an app or process that will allow exporting DNG files?

sponsored links
KeithS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Nov 07, 2016 11:49 |  #2

Update-For anyone interested: I found an app called "Manual" by Will Global, which will save (raw and/or jpg) directly to camera roll. From there, it can be downloaded (not super easy though, with Windows 10) to a PC.

cutwater
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
near Saratoga Springs, NY
Nov 20, 2016 08:36 |  #3

I have been using Lightroom Mobile to capture RAW on the iPhone 7. With Creative Cloud, it syncs those photos to my LR desktop - BUT - even with a fast internet connection, it has taken over 3 days to sync 300 photos. No very usable.

I use an app called Photosync to transfer photo / video from the iPhone to the desktop via my in house wireless.

I wanted to confirm what you said - Manual will save the raw to the camera roll? If so, it is easy with Photosync to transfer the file to the desktop, then edit via LR (or whatever raw editor one likes.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Websiteexternal link flickrexternal link 500pxexternal link FaceBookexternal link

KeithS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Nov 20, 2016 14:07 |  #4

Here is the response I received from the developer: "When you shoot DNG it saves directly to your camera roll, same as JPG, same as any other photo you shoot with your phone. Import same as always."

I haven't used the iPhone 7plus much yet for photos except just for testing. With Windows 10, the program (app now?), Photos, will pull from the iPhone camera roll, but it hasn't been very smooth. Then, I manually move the photos to a specific folder just for this phone and add in LR.

Now, since I use MS Office, OneDrive is available. I set the phone app to automatically upload camera roll photos to the "Cloud" (OneDrive), and from there it downloads to the PC. I just move add in LR-seems the easiest way for me so far.

Curious.....will Photosync place files in a user designated folder on the PC? If it does, that would eliminate some steps and having to connect using usb when using the Photos program.

cutwater
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Nov 20, 2016 15:55 as a reply to KeithS's post |  #5

Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll have to try it.

Photosync can move file from PC -> IOS device OR vice versa.

So when I have photos on in the camera roll I want on the PC, you first have to run the Photosync Windows app, then go into Photosync on your IOS device, choose the photos you want and then send them to your PC. I am not sure you can choose the destination folder, but once the files transfer, a window on the PC opens with them, then I just move them where I want.

Going from PC to IOS, you can choose what destination album you want.

Hope that makes sense :)

Websiteexternal link flickrexternal link 500pxexternal link FaceBookexternal link

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009
La Jolla/San Diego, CA
Nov 21, 2016 16:39 |  #6

I use LR Mobile as it's the only one I've found that supports dual lenses (iPhone 7 Plus) and DNG format. The editor has matured quite a ways, but does anyone else notice the benefits of shooting in the DNG format? I can't quite say that I'm as excited in the output as I'd initially hoped.

Gear List here

cutwater
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Nov 21, 2016 16:53 as a reply to asamimasa's post |  #7

RAW on my (std) iPhone 7 and my Phantom 3 Pro are a little better than the baked in jpeg, but certainly not the kind of headroom that my 5D Mark III has - you can only push them so far. I do think it's an improvement over the jpeg, just not spectacular difference.

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Nov 28, 2016 13:33 |  #8

I started using an app called "Pro Camera" about a year ago it's much better than the iOS app. I can't believe Apple have got away with this for so long when they claim their image quality is so great. It is rubbish, and clearly a software issue not hardware.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

sponsored links

1,553 views & 2 likes for this thread
iPhone 7 and DNG
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Mobile Device Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.