Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 21 Nov 2016 (Monday) 10:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrading Yongnuo Triggers

chugger93
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Clinton Twp, MI
Nov 21, 2016 10:55 |  #1

So right now I have a pair of yongnuo 603's and they work great for manual mode, etc. I'd like to upgrade to something with ETTL and the ability to add in a 3rd speedlite and control each one's power individually, etc. The ability to work also with something like an AlienBee would be great in case I ever get a strobe.

I was looking at the Yongnuo YN-622's, but a little confused. It seems like these would be what I want to get the job done?
https://www.amazon.com ...eywords=yongnuo+622​+canon (external link)

But then I could also get them plus this controller here:
https://www.amazon.com ...psc=1&smid=A26ATEC0​8S9EFM (external link)

I'm guessing the controller allows you to just control them from one location? I'm trying to figure that part out. Also, if ever I needed to put a speedlight in the hotshoe, and then use 1 off camera flash, wouldn't I need a controller with a hotshoe hookup?

Anyone assist?

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,574 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 21, 2016 11:12 |  #2

You don't ever NEED the controller, as far as I can tell, if you just want to manage from the camera. The 622c unit acts as a controller when mounted on the hotshoe, and as a slave when a flash is mounted on top (no camera). You can also mount the 622 on the hotshoe, and use a shoot-through flash mounted on top of that 622c unit.

I use the 622-TX and up to four flash unit w/622c controllers. Very versatile. I hope that answers your questions.

Tom

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Clinton Twp, MI
Nov 21, 2016 11:17 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #3

Well maybe I mispoke. I dont normally manage from the camera persay. When I work with my 603's now and speedlites, I go around to all my speedlights and adjust the manual power setting, etc...then just shoot. However, if I can do all that from this controller, then maybe I do need it...

I just dont get how I can put a flash on top of it, since it doesnt have a hotshoe. Clearly I cant...

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Nov 21, 2016 11:37 as a reply to chugger93's post |  #4

Correct, the TX will not mount a flash, as it's not a receiver like the 622c is.

For those times, you could substitute the normal 622.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,574 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 21, 2016 12:20 |  #5

chugger93 wrote in post #18190673 (external link)
Well maybe I mispoke. I dont normally manage from the camera persay. When I work with my 603's now and speedlites, I go around to all my speedlights and adjust the manual power setting, etc...then just shoot. However, if I can do all that from this controller, then maybe I do need it...

I just dont get how I can put a flash on top of it, since it doesnt have a hotshoe. Clearly I cant...

You can't put a flash on top of the -TX. You can mount a flash on your camera-mounted 622C.

With the 622-TX on camera & 622C units under each remote flash, you can manage manual settings from the 622-TX, or the camera it is sitting on. No need to walk to each individual unit. I'm not sure, but I think you can do the same thing with just the 550EX/580EX/580EX II mounted on camera. Canon master is optical. YN is radio, and more reliable.

Tom

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Kent UK
Nov 28, 2016 13:49 |  #6

I've had 622c's since they were launched and used my camera's flash menu to adjust the speedlites individually and in groups attached to the receiving units without problem, not seen the point of getting a 622tx as as I can do it all from the camera.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisagefolkestone​.com (external link)

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Clinton Twp, MI
Nov 28, 2016 13:57 |  #7

Ronin Silv wrote in post #18197089 (external link)
I've had 622c's since they were launched and used my camera's flash menu to adjust the speedlites individually and in groups attached to the receiving units without problem, not seen the point of getting a 622tx as as I can do it all from the camera.

ya I'm still debating over them or even the godox triggers. Dont know enough about the godox though to sway me one way over the other

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Kent UK
Nov 28, 2016 14:21 as a reply to chugger93's post |  #8

Mine have never missed a beat they've been used in all environments from outdoors in the wind and rain being blown over etc to used as triggers for my Bowens studio lights via a pic sync cable where one got a melted corner and the cable won't now come out when it rested on a reflector with a grid on that got to hot with the modelling lamp on, but it still works. I don't molly coddle my kit it gets used and abused I use both Yuonguo speedlites and triggers on the premise they don't cost a lot so I can afford to replace them when they get broken, but the take the abuse I have speedlites held together with gaffer tape that still work and couldn't recommend Yuonguo gear highly enough it might be a fraction of the cost of big name gear but performs just as well if not better.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisagefolkestone​.com (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Nov 28, 2016 20:40 |  #9

chugger93 wrote in post #18197095 (external link)
ya I'm still debating over them or even the godox triggers. Dont know enough about the godox though to sway me one way over the other

Godox offers a lot more options should you decide to upgrade from speedlites to studio strobes in the future. The X system transmitters are compatible with all current Godox flash products either directly with those flash units with 2.4G receivers or with the appropriate receiver for the non X flash units. So you buy a transmitter and receivers now, to run your speedlites and should you upgrade in the future, to one of the many studo strobes Godox offers, then you already have the transmitter and the ability to mix your speedlites with the studio strobes.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

1,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading Yongnuo Triggers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.