Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Nov 2016 (Monday) 16:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrade from my 70D

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by travisvwright.
Nov 28, 2016 16:34 |  #1

I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't really need to upgrade. I'm quite happy with the 70D. But I figure something better is out there. I'm pretty set on glass. The top end of my budget would be ~$2,000 if it seemed worth it.

I mostly shoot in controlled lighting studio settings. But every now and then take the camera out to my young kids sporting events.

Current musings:
6D - It'd get my FF and the magic of larger pixels.
5Dm3 - Get me what the 6D does plus great AF.
5Ds(r) - Even better clarity/resolution but perhaps giving up some AF and the most expensive.

In all cases I'm giving up AF in video which I don't really care about at this point, and WiFi which I would miss but could live without. I'd have to replace my 10-18 STM also. But the rest of my glass can go both ways.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the 5dm3 right now does IQ differ from the 6D at all?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 28, 2016 16:57 |  #2

Heya,

5D3 easily based on what you said. You mentioned sporting events. It covers everything, really great generalist camera.

The 5DSR would be if you want full frame and the pixel density of APS-C or simply high resolution for whatever purpose (print, crop, etc).

Replacing the 10-18 STM would be a simple trade up for a 17-40L (or pay out more for a 16-35 F4L IS).

There's not really an APS-C upgrade that is going to be significant compared to what you have. So moving to a larger sensor will open new doors and give you new working distances with the glass you have and go wider with everything (nice for studio limitations).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Roupin
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2012
SoCal
Nov 28, 2016 17:26 |  #3

That's a tough call when you don't NEED to upgrade, but WANT to. I'm in the same scenario now with my T5i. It does everything I want it to, but bought it before I understood the difference between crop and FF bodies. Just knowing that there's a better platform out there keeps lingering in my mind.

I was just about to buy a 10-18, and now am wondering if I should just upgrade to a 6D instead...

Keep us posted with your reasoning going forward!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 28, 2016 20:16 |  #4

The 5DS series cameras give up nothing in the AF department really, unless you are using LV/Video. The 5DS shares an identical AF system to the 5DIII, which is based on the system in the 1DX, so I would not think you will be giving up any AF performance over the 70D, while using the optical viewfinder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver.
Nov 28, 2016 23:30 |  #5

travisvwright wrote in post #18197247 (external link)
I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't really need to upgrade. I'm quite happy with the 70D. But I figure something better is out there. I'm pretty set on glass. The top end of my budget would be ~$2,000 if it seemed worth it.

I mostly shoot in controlled lighting studio settings. But every now and then take the camera out to my young kids sporting events.

Current musings:
6D - It'd get my FF and the magic of larger pixels.
5Dm3 - Get me what the 6D does plus great AF.
5Ds(r) - Even better clarity/resolution but perhaps giving up some AF and the most expensive.

In all cases I'm giving up AF in video which I don't really care about at this point, and WiFi which I would miss but could live without. I'd have to replace my 10-18 STM also. But the rest of my glass can go both ways.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the 5dm3 right now does IQ differ from the 6D at all?

You say you don't need to upgrade and you're happy with the 70D, but what to upgrade because you figure there is something better out there. In my opinion, that's poor reason fro upgrading since your plan is not based on any particular needs or expectations. There will always be something better out there given a little time. But hey, its your money.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Nov 28, 2016 23:44 |  #6

Roupin wrote in post #18197330 (external link)
That's a tough call when you don't NEED to upgrade, but WANT to. I'm in the same scenario now with my T5i. It does everything I want it to, but bought it before I understood the difference between crop and FF bodies. Just knowing that there's a better platform out there keeps lingering in my mind.

I was just about to buy a 10-18, and now am wondering if I should just upgrade to a 6D instead...

Keep us posted with your reasoning going forward!

Just what are you hoping the 6D will give you that t5i will not. I'm not suggesting that the 6D isn't a great camera or that there are no advantages moving from crop to full frame, but to me upgrading should be a decision made after careful consideration of your needs and expectations. If you shoot a lot of portraits or primarily are a landscape photographer or shoot in very low light scenarios, the 6D might be for you. For sports/action/wildlife the 6D is not the best choice. It's also pretty long in the tooth having recently celebrated 4 years in production.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,755 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 28, 2016 23:59 |  #7

the 6D does have wifi...you could always grab that, and keep the 70D for sports shots...not sure how old the kids are but 200mm on a FF would probably come up short once they start getting to 9-10 year old outdoor sports...at least that's what it seems like for my nephews

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

travisvwright
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Nov 29, 2016 11:02 |  #8

mwsilver wrote in post #18197676 (external link)
You say you don't need to upgrade and you're happy with the 70D, but what to upgrade because you figure there is something better out there. In my opinion, that's poor reason fro upgrading since your plan is not based on any particular needs or expectations. There will always be something better out there given a little time. But hey, its your money.

I normally would agree with this. But you could say I don't need anything that my 70D gave me over my t3i. However it is both easier to work with and gives better results, two things I would like to get from this next upgrade. By all accounts a 5Dm3 would give me better results (from an IQ perspective) and also be easier to work with (especially from more opportunity to use my 135mm).

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

travisvwright
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Nov 29, 2016 11:04 |  #9

DreDaze wrote in post #18197687 (external link)
the 6D does have wifi...you could always grab that, and keep the 70D for sports shots...not sure how old the kids are but 200mm on a FF would probably come up short once they start getting to 9-10 year old outdoor sports...at least that's what it seems like for my nephews

Hmm if I get the 6D I would keep my 70D, but if I got the 5dm3 I would probably sell it. I hadn't really considered that. I think I would be reluctant to switch back and forth and end up only using one anyway.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Bassat. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 29, 2016 11:53 |  #10

Some random thoughts. If you are a hobby-shooter, you don't need a reason to upgrade, just cash. Business/professionals have to weigh the cost/benefit analysis, and all that. Hobby-shooter? Want it? Buy it.

I was reasonably (very) happy with my 60D, until I picked up a 5Dc. I had a 28-135 hanging around from film days. It was OK on the 60D. It was an entirely different, better lens on the 5Dc. That started my migration to full-frame. (If this crappy lens is better on FF, isn't everything?) Well, mostly yes. I had a few ef-s lenses (18-55 II, 15-85, 55-250 II, 10-22), to sell off/upgrade, but the end result is much better photos, when I do my part.

Notice the collection of slow, variable aperture ef-s zoom lenses. Moving to FF prompted a foray into fast(er) primes. Which meant I could basically stop worrying about ISO. Going to f/8 (for IQ) on a 70-300 @ 6400 (on a crop) is a lot different than f/2.8 on 200L II @ 800 (on FF). Bonus? The primes (85 1.8, 135L, 200 2.8II) focus a lot faster, and more accurately than the micro-motor 70-300 and any of the 55-250s.

I don't know if EF lenses are better than EF-S. I do know that the combination of EF lenses on full frame (or APS-H) body are better than anything you'll get out of any ef-s lens on any ef-s body. Possible exception: efs 60mm vs 100mm macro. The 60 was quite useable outside the macro realm. The 100 (non-L, folks) not so much. The 85 1.8, 100 2, 135L are all faster, and focus faster. My 100 is macro only.

Upgrading your 70D to and 80D will cost you about $4-500, net. Upgrading to a 6D will cost you about $900-1000, because you should keep the 70D for pixels on target at range, and AI-Servo AF. You will miss both, if you push your 6D hard enough. Upgrading to a 5D3, will cost you about the same as a 6D, because you can sell the 70D. But you'll still be short pixels on target at range. FWIW, I like having multiple bodies/choices (currently 6D/1DIV/80D).

I am hoping my new 80D can replace the large, heavy 1DIV. I've only had the 80D a week or so, but I've already determined it can't touch the 1DIV at higher (3200 & +). Admittedly, that may be due to my lack of familiarity with processing 80D results. That said, I need the 80D for AF, not high ISO. So far, I am happy with the AF.

Good luck. Happy shooting, whatever you buy.

Tom

Roupin
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2012
SoCal
Nov 29, 2016 15:27 |  #11

mwsilver wrote in post #18197679 (external link)
Just what are you hoping the 6D will give you that t5i will not. I'm not suggesting that the 6D isn't a great camera or that there are no advantages moving from crop to full frame, but to me upgrading should be a decision made after careful consideration of your needs and expectations. If you shoot a lot of portraits or primarily are a landscape photographer or shoot in very low light scenarios, the 6D might be for you. For sports/action/wildlife the 6D is not the best choice. It's also pretty long in the tooth having recently celebrated 4 years in production.

Don't want to threadjack but the camera formats do apply, so I'll go for it.

I made the mistake of recently taking a few shots with a friend's FF (not sure which body) with a 17-40 lens, and the difference in body feel and shooting clarity were dramatic. I loved how close I could get to a car compared to my crop with 18-135 lens. I'm a hobbyist shooting things I fancy like cars, some landscapes and lots of indoors shots around the house. That's why my first inclination was to grab an ultrawide zoom for my T5i, but now I'm wondering if I won't be content until I move to an FF like a 6D.

HyperCams
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Palm Bay Florida
Nov 29, 2016 17:38 |  #12

Having owned both the 70D and 5DmIII I can flat out say the 5DIII is what I recommend...
I only sold it because I do not use the DSLR much anymore and the crop 70D is fine for when I do need AF/action or (mostly) video, for literally everything else I use my Sony a7 and MF lenses..
Why didn't I just keep the 5DIII to do everything? Because I love the size and IQ from the sony and could not afford both...
But if you need a DSLR then it is really hard to beat the 5DIII for most everything. AF is better than the 70D but the live view dual pixel video on the 70D is one of the reasons I kept it.

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,755 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 29, 2016 17:40 |  #13

Roupin wrote in post #18198317 (external link)
Don't want to threadjack but the camera formats do apply, so I'll go for it.

I made the mistake of recently taking a few shots with a friend's FF (not sure which body) with a 17-40 lens, and the difference in body feel and shooting clarity were dramatic. I loved how close I could get to a car compared to my crop with 18-135 lens. I'm a hobbyist shooting things I fancy like cars, some landscapes and lots of indoors shots around the house. That's why my first inclination was to grab an ultrawide zoom for my T5i, but now I'm wondering if I won't be content until I move to an FF like a 6D.

i think that's more the lens choice than the FF vs crop...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 29, 2016 17:46 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #18198453 (external link)

True. Buying a 10-22 for the poster's T5i would be a lot less expensive than buying a 6D/17-40.

Tom

Roupin
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2012
SoCal
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Roupin.
Nov 30, 2016 04:05 |  #15

DreDaze wrote in post #18198453 (external link)

Bassat wrote in post #18198463 (external link)
True. Buying a 10-22 for the poster's T5i would be a lot less expensive than buying a 6D/17-40.

I was hesitant about buying a lens on a crop, but comments like that make me reconsider. I've been through the 10-18 and 10-22 galleries already too. I guess I'll give the ultrawide a shot. Thanks!

sponsored links

3,129 views & 7 likes for this thread
Upgrade from my 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.