Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 28 Nov 2016 (Monday) 17:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tethering my 5DsR is driving me insane! Please help.

Braks ­ Buddy
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 28, 2016 17:59 |  #1

I recently bought a 5DsR (was using a 5D MkII before that). I shoot tethered and have been using a Tethertools 15' USB2 cable. Because the 5DsR is USB3, I purchased a Tethertools 15' USB3 cable. I plugged it into my USB3 port on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.... and nothing. Thinking that something might be wrong with the port on the laptop, I tried it again with the USB3 port on my newer Lenovo Yoga 900... and nothing. Just for the heck of it, I plugged the USB3 cable into the USB2 port on the Lenovo Yoga 900 and the camera was instantly recognized. I tried this on the USB2 port on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and the camera was instantly recognized. While that seems nice, I want USB3 speed, not USB2.

Summarizing, USB3 cable does not work in USB3 ports but does work in USB2 ports, giving me USB2 speeds

I read on Tethertools site that there are known issues with USB3 and tethering and they offer a "TetherBoost Pro USB 3.0 Core Controller" to resolve the issue. I bought it. Zero difference.

I also read that due to power saving settings in Windows 10, some USB ports can be underpowered. I turned off all of Windows' ability to change the power to the USB ports.

Testing a bit further, I found another interesting thing. If I take my old USB2 Tethertools cable, add an adapter to it so it can connect to the camera, I can plug into the Lenovo USB3 port and the camers is recognized immediately. These are the SAME ports that don't recognize the camera when using the USB3 cable! Again, this only give me USB2 speeds so my problem isn't resolved, PLUS I have to use an adapter that is easy to lose.

Summarizing, USB2 cable works in USB3 ports, giving me USB2 speeds.

I tried calling Tethertools about this and their support, while courteous, was less than useless.

I feel like all I want is a very simple thing - My USB3 camera to use a USB3 cable to plug into a USB3 port and give me USB3 speed. So far? Not happening.

Any help or advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated,

sponsored links
Moppie
14,715 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
Nov 29, 2016 01:20 |  #2

We've had a bunch of the USB3 Tethertools cables fail at work. We're less than impressed.
But, they are the only supplier we can find who make 5m ones. Everyone else only makes 1.5m or shorter cables.

However, what model Lenovo laptop?
And what software?
We also had issues tethering the 5DS/R using LR and Capture 1.
DPP was pretty reliable, but we use DSLR Remote Pro because of it's ability to easily name files at point of capture.

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 29, 2016 05:25 |  #3

Moppie wrote in post #18197722 (external link)
We've had a bunch of the USB3 Tethertools cables fail at work. We're less than impressed.
But, they are the only supplier we can find who make 5m ones. Everyone else only makes 1.5m or shorter cables.

And what software?
DPP was pretty reliable, but we use DSLR Remote Pro because of it's ability to easily name files at point of capture.

I don't know about USB3, but the USB2 and earlier standards specify a maximum cable length of 1.8m/6'. Although longer cables are available they are not guaranteed to always work, sometimes you luck in, sometimes out, and theres not much you can really do about it.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 29, 2016 05:38 |  #4

BigAl007 wrote in post #18197816 (external link)
I don't know about USB3, but the USB2 and earlier standards specify a maximum cable length of 1.8m/6'.

Are you sure about that? Pretty sure USB2 is approx 5m/16 feet. I think it was USB1 with the six foot max run.

Having said that, I guess I agree with you in principal. I have a15 foot USB2 cord that works with my 6D and MacBook but it is way less reliable. To the point that I really don't even use them anymore. I try to keep it under 10 feet and always use just one cord ... never put two three foot cords together or adapters in the mix.

Lastly, monoprice.com is my go-to source for cords. You can usually buy five or more of their cords for the price of one TetherTools or other other branded cords

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Nov 29, 2016 08:13 |  #5

You did not mention the software that you're using, I imagine you've installed DPP and EOS Utility which is included with your camera from Canon.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

110yd
755 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Nov 29, 2016 12:51 |  #6

I am going to suggest a shorter USB3 cable for starters. My suspicion is that the length of the cable
combined with the USB3 interface in the laptop is a no work situation. Does the short cable that Canon provides work with the laptop?

I have seen many laptops that claimed to have USB2 compliant interfaces absolutely fail when connected to long cables, or devices that required power to be delivered. I strongly suspect
the same holds true for USB 3.0. Pushing a high speed signal over a long cable is not a simple
task.

Hope this helps,

110yd

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 29, 2016 13:33 |  #7

Moppie wrote in post #18197722 (external link)

And what software?

I have used a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Yoga 900, both with identical results (both have USB2 and USB3 ports).

I am using Ortery's Photocapture 360 software, but the issue I am having is Windows never seeing the camera. If Windows sees it, Ortery's software sees it. If Windows doesn't.... well, you know.

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 29, 2016 13:35 |  #8

BigAl007 wrote in post #18197816 (external link)
I don't know about USB3, but the USB2 and earlier standards specify a maximum cable length of 1.8m/6'. Although longer cables are available they are not guaranteed to always work, sometimes you luck in, sometimes out, and theres not much you can really do about it.

Alan

I have used Tethertools USB2 15' cable with my Canon 5D MKII and never had an issue. It wasn't until I moved to the 5DsR and the USB3 cable that I started having problems.

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 29, 2016 13:36 |  #9

tcphoto1 wrote in post #18197903 (external link)
You did not mention the software that you're using, I imagine you've installed DPP and EOS Utility which is included with your camera from Canon.

I am using Ortery's Photocapture 360 software, but I have also just tried to get the EOS Utility to see the camera. No luck, except in the situations described in the OP.

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 29, 2016 13:37 |  #10

110yd wrote in post #18198171 (external link)
I am going to suggest a shorter USB3 cable for starters. My suspicion is that the length of the cable
combined with the USB3 interface in the laptop is a no work situation. Does the short cable that Canon provides work with the laptop?

I have seen many laptops that claimed to have USB2 compliant interfaces absolutely fail when connected to long cables, or devices that required power to be delivered. I strongly suspect
the same holds true for USB 3.0. Pushing a high speed signal over a long cable is not a simple
task.

Hope this helps,

110yd

At this point, I am willing to give it a try, although I LOVE that 15' cable for the work I do.

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Nov 29, 2016 13:42 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18197819 (external link)
Are you sure about that? Pretty sure USB2 is approx 5m/16 feet. I think it was USB1 with the six foot max run.

Correct

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

jsheppard
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Nov 29, 2016 21:24 |  #12

Using the TetherBoost Core Controller you should be able to get it running reliably without any issues at the longer distances. Are you getting the blue light on the TetherBoost to illuminate showing a steady connection? Are you connecting the external power supply that came with the TetherBoost to either AC or USB battery? Also, be sure to check your camera firmware is up to date.

Please email direct if I can further assist - customerservice@tether​tools.com Attn: Jack

Regards, Jack
Tether Tools

Moppie
14,715 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Nov 30, 2016 01:16 |  #13

jsheppard wrote in post #18198665 (external link)
Using the TetherBoost Core Controller you should be able to get it running reliably without any issues at the longer distances. Are you getting the blue light on the TetherBoost to illuminate showing a steady connection? Are you connecting the external power supply that came with the TetherBoost to either AC or USB battery? Also, be sure to check your camera firmware is up to date.

Please email direct if I can further assist - customerservice@tether​tools.com Attn: Jack

Regards, Jack
Tether Tools

Good to see someone at tethertools is keeping up with more traditional social media :)
I know twitter and Instagram are well looked after.

flickrexternal link

Moppie
14,715 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Nov 30, 2016 01:24 |  #14

Braks Buddy wrote in post #18198194 (external link)
I have used a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Yoga 900, both with identical results (both have USB2 and USB3 ports).

I am using Ortery's Photocapture 360 software, but the issue I am having is Windows never seeing the camera. If Windows sees it, Ortery's software sees it. If Windows doesn't.... well, you know.

It's not the cable length, USB 2 and 3 will both operate reliably over 5M.
It maybe a problem with the USB controller in the laptop, the Yoga series more than likely make plenty of compromises in order to keep them thin and light.

We run ours into the USB2 port on a dock station with HP laptops. File transfer speed has never been an issue, so if it works in a USB2 port then at least you can use it.

To really find out if the cable is the problem you need to try it in a desktop workstation or a more serious workstation grade laptop.

All of ours have worked well out of the box, and failed after 3-6 months of use.
Of interest, I'm currently running 2 5DS into a laptop, one on a single 5m cable handheld, and other on a 5m powered extension into a 5m cable and it's been working well.

flickrexternal link

Braks ­ Buddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 30, 2016 07:45 |  #15

jsheppard wrote in post #18198665 (external link)

Regards, Jack
Tether Tools

Thanks for reaching out, Jack! I will definitely contact you as my phone experience with Tethertools regarding this issue wasn't great.

So far, the TetheBoost doesn't appear to make any difference at all. When I attach it, the blue light does come on and is steady. I have tried it both with AC power and without (no USB battery) but no difference so far.

sponsored links

2,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethering my 5DsR is driving me insane! Please help.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.