Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2016 08:34 |  #451

Bassat wrote in post #18198975 (external link)
Thanks. I am starting to notice the IQ difference, too. I did all my first testing shots with the 18-55 STM, which I bought because all the review(er)s claim it is better than the others. Whatever, its not as good in the center as my lowly 28 1.8 is a f/2. I am working my way through my lenses on the 80D; so far, so good. It is bang on with 28 1.8, 35 IS, 50 STM. Just testing, though. I'll likely only use the 80D with the 28 1.8, 70-200, & 100-400. OK, maybe the 24-105 STM, if I get into video.

My process right now:
Shoot raw, process .cr2 files to DNG, work DNG in LR5.7. I have noticed the files are 'cleaner' than those of the 60D/70D at higher ISO. The noise seems less noticeable, too. Perhaps due to 24MP. As you, and others, say, the saturation and contrast need to be increased with the 80D files. I am still entertaining the thought that I can get JPGs out of this camera to avoid raw all together. Currently shooting with Picture Style FD((5,1,1,1,1,0).

How do I go about editing raw files in ACR? Never seen it as a stand-alone. I have LR 5.7. I'm using DNGs because LR 5.7 can't do 80D raw files.

If you don't want/can't get the update to open 80D RAWs, you could just shoot in JPeg and open them in ACR.
The update to read 80D files should be free though.
Anyway, if you have Bridge, you can open bridge and right click a jpeg (or raw) and select "open in Camera RAW"
If you don't have Bridge but you have Photoshop, you can open a JPeg in Photoshop click filters then "Convert for Smart Filters" then click filters again and select "Camera Raw Filter" and it will open up in ACR.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 30, 2016 08:39 |  #452

romendo wrote in post #18199011 (external link)
You can get the upgrade from Adobe (external link) by selecting Upgrade after you click on Buy.

For $79. Or I can use DNGs free. Seems pretty simple to me.

Tom

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2016 08:42 |  #453

Bassat wrote in post #18199022 (external link)

with my method, just shoot in jpeg and edit them like raws. no need to convert to DNG ;)

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Bassat
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 30, 2016 08:43 |  #454

BlakeC wrote in post #18199019 (external link)
If you don't want/can't get the update to open 80D RAWs, you could just shoot in JPeg and open them in ACR.
The update to read 80D files should be free though.
Anyway, if you have Bridge, you can open bridge and right click a jpeg (or raw) and select "open in Camera RAW"
If you don't have Bridge but you have Photoshop, you can open a JPeg in Photoshop click filters then "Convert for Smart Filters" then click filters again and select "Camera Raw Filter" and it will open up in ACR.

I'm sorry, but I find that very confusing. I have LR 5.7. It does not open 80D raw files. Without spending money, is there an option besides the DNG converter?

Tom

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2016 08:51 |  #455

Bassat wrote in post #18199026 (external link)
I'm sorry, but I find that very confusing. I have LR 5.7. It does not open 80D raw files. Without spending money, is there an option besides the DNG converter?

To use LR I think you need version 6.5. Unless you have CC I think you will have to pay for an upgrade or continue converting to DNG
OR cut out the whole convert to DNG and just edit JPEGs like they were RAWS in ACR.
BUT do you have bridge or photoshop? If you only have lightroom, then my method obviously won't help. But I promise it is quicker than converting to DNG everytime.

Blake C

Bassat
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 30, 2016 09:28 |  #456

BlakeC wrote in post #18199037 (external link)
To use LR I think you need version 6.5. Unless you have CC I think you will have to pay for an upgrade or continue converting to DNG
OR cut out the whole convert to DNG and just edit JPEGs like they were RAWS in ACR.
BUT do you have bridge or photoshop? If you only have lightroom, then my method obviously won't help. But I promise it is quicker than converting to DNG everytime.

No Bridge. No PS.

The highlighted portion of the above is my question. HOW? & WHY BOTHER? I've never seen ACR as a stand-alone. I can edit JPG files in LR.

I don't find converting to DNG to be cumbersome. I have a desktop batch file that:
copies from card to HDD
opens converter
moves raw files to a backup folder
opens LR

It is basically: insert card, and two clicks later I am in LR working on DNG files.
The batch file:

@echo off
cls
h:
cd dcim\100canon
echo.
echo copying all .cr2 files from card H:
echo to c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_files

xcopy *.cr2 /s c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_files
pause

echo.
echo Starting DNG converter.
echo Convert files, then
c:
cd \Program Files (x86)\Adobe
start dng
pause

echo.
echo Moving all .cr2 files to ..\80D_raw_backups
c:
cd \users\schriefer\pictu​res\80D_raw_files
move /-Y *.* c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_backups

echo.
echo starting LR after you
pause
cd \Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7
start lightroom
end

Tom

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2016 09:34 |  #457

Bassat wrote in post #18199066 (external link)
No Bridge. No PS.

The highlighted portion of the above is my question. HOW? & WHY BOTHER? I've never seen ACR as a stand-alone. I can edit JPG files in LR.

I don't find converting to DNG to be cumbersome. I have a desktop batch file that:
copies from card to HDD
opens converter
moves raw files to a backup folder
opens LR

It is basically: insert card, and two clicks later I am in LR working on DNG files.
The batch file:

@echo off
cls
h:
cd dcim\100canon
echo.
echo copying all .cr2 files from card H:
echo to c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_files

xcopy *.cr2 /s c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_files
pause

echo.
echo Starting DNG converter.
echo Convert files, then
c:
cd \Program Files (x86)\Adobe
start dng
pause

echo.
echo Moving all .cr2 files to ..\80D_raw_backups
c:
cd \users\schriefer\pictu​res\80D_raw_files
move /-Y *.* c:\users\schriefer\pic​tures\80D_raw_backups

echo.
echo starting LR after you
pause
cd \Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7
start lightroom
end

lol well my next question was going to be "Do you batch edit or know how to?" it is hard to know how much you know. i'm used to dealing with ppl in IT who know nothing.
The fact that you were even asking made me think you didn't like converting to DNG AND you didn't want to update. So the other option would be to just shoot in jpeg and edit those like a RAW file.
If it's not an issue for you to batch convert them to DNG then just don't worry about it, keep doing what you're doing.

Blake C

romendo
Joined Mar 2010
Toronto
Nov 30, 2016 11:40 |  #458

Bassat wrote in post #18199022 (external link)

I thought you didn't want to buy Lightroom CC. It seems you don't want to upgrade your old Lightroom either. You are free to do that, of course, but for me it would be worth a few bucks especially after buying a new camera.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Nov 30, 2016 14:04 |  #459

Do whatever works best for you.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Terrycanon.
Nov 30, 2016 14:59 |  #460

I, too, was reluctant to "rent" Lightroom, etc., but my Elements 12 would not read 80D files and I eventually took the plunge. I bought it for a year rather than pay monthly. I'm so glad I did. I got Lightroom, Photoshop CC and Adobe Bridge for just over £100 for the year. The beauty of downloading it, as was explained to me by a fellow photographer, is that it updates automatically. As he said, when you buy a 90D (yes, 90D, ha), it will update automatically to read the RAW files from it. And, please, don't even think of shooting only Jpegs.

It took a while to download. To show you what Lightroom can do, here is a RAW and the post-processed version of the same file using Lightroom. (Yes, I know it's from my old 70D, unfortunately, but it's the best extreme example I could find. I also know I've overcooked the sky somewhat! No matter). This was from a series of pics that I had decided was unsalvageable before I got Lightroom. It's been a steep learning curve but I reckon the Lightroom package is worth every penny/cent.

I'm no Lightroom expert. Still learning, but it's fun anyway...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

MikeDee
Joined Apr 2011
Boston - MetroWest
Dec 01, 2016 14:26 |  #461

I shot my Niece's Son for a Christmas card. I'm still learning lighting and wasn't too happy with the backdrop. It was a window and I only had a sheet to work with. 2 speedlights. One camera right in a soft box and the other to the left a little behind him in a 24" soft box.

C&C welcome.

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5506/31232081261_3e993c9ebc_b.jpg

One more...

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5563/31202899302_bf8fbde166_b.jpg

5D III | 80D | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | Canon 16-35mm f/4 L | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Ʃ 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C | Ʃ 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Metz 50 AF-1 | Yongnuo YN 560 III/IV | The Rest of My Gear | Flickr (external link)

Bassat
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 01, 2016 15:25 |  #462

Update. I tried to buy an 'upgrade'. Adobe declined the sale and cancelled my order. Credit card issue, I suppose. Our only MC is in my wife's name. This isn't the first time I've had that issue. So...

I downloaded a trial version (LR CC) that is good for 7 days. It is nice to have direct access to raws, but I don't see a results-difference over working with DNGs.

For those of you using LR 6/CC, are there any 'must-see' features I should check out in my 7-day trial period?

Tom

i-G12
Wat?
1,369 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Dec 01, 2016 16:10 |  #463

If you haven't already , play with the graduated filter tool. Awesome.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Dec 01, 2016 16:10 |  #464

Bassat wrote in post #18200386 (external link)
Update. I tried to buy an 'upgrade'. Adobe declined the sale and cancelled my order. Credit card issue, I suppose. Our only MC is in my wife's name. This isn't the first time I've had that issue. So...

I downloaded a trial version (LR CC) that is good for 7 days. It is nice to have direct access to raws, but I don't see a results-difference over working with DNGs.

For those of you using LR 6/CC, are there any 'must-see' features I should check out in my 7-day trial period?

I dont know anout must see. I can't see using another program to edit RAW after just about a year using LR an PS CC. It is cool you can adjust saturation on individual color channels. Blue, green, red, eyc...

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

Bassat
6,767 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 01, 2016 16:40 |  #465

i-G12 wrote in post #18200433 (external link)
If you haven't already , play with the graduated filter tool. Awesome.

Tom

sponsored links

504,432 views & 5124 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.