Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 18 Nov 2016 (Friday) 08:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lighting Gurus - I need your help!

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Nov 30, 2016 16:29 |  #16

scobols wrote in post #18199475 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Scott

^^^ this is great

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Alveric.
Nov 30, 2016 16:31 as a reply to post 18199468 |  #17

Yup, I'm not into hockey –or any sports for that matter– so I didn't know that. So, here's another lesson (and one I do apply in my commercial work): we must take the time to familiarise ourselves with our subjects and what they do, then we can take better photos: not only in the technical sense, but in that the images appeal more to them.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Dec 01, 2016 07:08 |  #18

It's interesting to hear everyone's perspectives about what parents want. However, sometimes people think they want one thing until they are shown something else (i.e., shown what they want). That's the approach Apple used with the iPhone. Nobody knew they wanted one until Apple told them they did.

That being said, I do like the look of the well lit arena, but I also like the look of my lighting. This is my second year photographing these hockey teams and parents have given me a lot of great feedback. In fact they specifically asked for me to be the photographer. That tells me they do like the style and lighting. I know it doesn't mean they only like this style, or that they wouldn't like it more with different lighting. It also doesn't mean everyone likes this style, I get it. But, I will continue to provide the same style to keep things consistent from year to year.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

2,594 views & 3 likes for this thread
Lighting Gurus - I need your help!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.