Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Nov 2016 (Tuesday) 16:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Non-use leads to failure?

Pinto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Nov 29, 2016 19:23 as a reply to post 18198517 |  #16

Tried lots of different batteries. No-workie.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,577 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 29, 2016 19:24 |  #17

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18198510 (external link)
If I remember right, it was destroyed by a a Sufi Muslim in the 1,300s.

I'll have to take your word for that. I'm not that old. :)

Tom

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Nov 29, 2016 19:29 |  #18

I thought it was Napoleon, must be one of those urban legends.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_sphin​x.html (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Pinto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Nov 29, 2016 19:32 as a reply to post 18198551 |  #19

"Yeah, lack of use causes problems. Mostly, remembering which doohickey button does what."

Man, ain't that the truth!

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 30, 2016 03:05 |  #20

I had an IR-converted 10D that didn't see any action since I got my 1D2, tried firing it up after 3 years of inactivity and it no-showed. Must have decided that I didn't need it so it didn't need me.
Sold it for parts for $120 though...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Nov 30, 2016 11:34 |  #21

Some of the older cameras had some sort of internal button battery, did they not? do these die and make the Camera a brick?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Nov 30, 2016 11:55 |  #22

Pinto wrote in post #18198348 (external link)
What is your opinion about lack of equipment use leading to failure?

I have a 17-85mm EF-S that lost it’s Auto Focus after a number if years of non-use, and I recently picked up my 20D and noticed that it has failed completely. Checked the operating battery and replaced the internal battery with no results. Totally dead.

It’s not really much of a big deal because I obviously don’t use these, but I’m curious about others experience in this regard.

Thanks.

The 17-85 has well known and serious ribbon cable issues, and who knows what the trouble is with your 20D. Some equipment may fail, and other unused equipment seems to last forever. I have a lovely Christmas tie given to me close to 20 years ago. In it is sewn a tiny, cheap electronic non replaceable battery powered device that plays Jingle Bells when squeezed. I haven't worn the tie in 10-12 years. Tried it yesterday and much to my amazement, it still played Jingle Bells. Go figure.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Nov 30, 2016 11:56 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18199187 (external link)
Some of the older cameras had some sort of internal button battery, did they not? do these die and make the Camera a brick?

When my 5Dc died a few months ago, I called Canon to inquire an internal battery...they said there was no such battery, and Canon no longer worked on the 5D (and the Canon Loyalty Program had become a joke in terms of its benefits to loyal owners!).
I later found an independent who still repairs 5D and sent it to them...replacement circuit and I had them do the preventative fix for mirror coming loose, too. The replacement cost and unknown history of a used 5D made repairs of a low shutter count camera well worthwhile.

The Canon 40D clearly has a CR2016 battery subcompartment marked inside the main battery compartment. I had to dig up the 5D manual to find the location of its CR2016 battery compartment.
Canon documentation says this is only a Date/Time battery, and does not mention its requirement for memory of other settings.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by PhotosGuy. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 30, 2016 12:13 |  #24

Beat me to it, although I doubt Napoleon himself ordered his men to blow it off.

Napoleon wasn't born yet when the nose was destroyed.

Edit: Hah! I see you deleted your post! ; D
Edit 2: Both of them!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Pinto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Nov 30, 2016 12:29 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18199187 (external link)

All have an internal battery, but it's just for time, date and menu memory. Otherwise the camera would reset every time you took the main battery out.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,719 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 30, 2016 16:53 |  #26

Wilt wrote in post #18199208 (external link)
When my 5Dc died a few months ago, I called Canon to inquire an internal battery...they said there was no such battery, and Canon no longer worked on the 5D (and the Canon Loyalty Program had become a joke in terms of its benefits to loyal owners!).
I later found an independent who still repairs 5D and sent it to them...replacement circuit and I had them do the preventative fix for mirror coming loose, too. The replacement cost and unknown history of a used 5D made repairs of a low shutter count camera well worthwhile.

The Canon 40D clearly has a CR2016 battery subcompartment marked inside the main battery compartment. I had to dig up the 5D manual to find the location of its CR2016 battery compartment.
Canon documentation says this is only a Date/Time battery, and does not mention its requirement for memory of other settings.

How much did a 5d repair run you?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 01, 2016 11:51 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #27

Getting an operational 5D, with the reduced risk of the reflex mirror coming off (it did not get the retrofit from Canon, in spite of what the prior owner thought), cost $400.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Dec 03, 2016 03:52 |  #28

Storage conditions play a big role. Temp, humidity, air pollution, sunlight, different kinds of dust. gases exuded from cabinet materials and other materials stored in the same container or location, all may lead to corrosion and/or breakdown of materials. Electrolysis, release of gases and interaction between materials within the devices themselves, multiplied by temperature, humidity, air pollution and other factors may lead to devices' self-destruction.

There is no perfect long term storage condition, however temps below 16C, humidity below 35% and chemically stable containers will help. My worst storage error was a film body and three lenses stored in a leather bag for a couple of years...in the tropics. When I opened the bag, all I could see was green dust and tendrils, glass all etched and the body was a green corroded brick. :rolleyes:

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Dec 03, 2016 04:44 |  #29

After 35 years of marriage, 2 daughters all of us whom hoards things for no good reason we have a house full to the roof of things not used. No surprise then that I say I have eleven Dslrs, eleven flashguns, couple dozen lenses, umpteen camera batteries, a hundred or so AA's, half-dozen pocket wizards and a handful of P&S.

The Canon EOS1D was purchased second-hand in c2005 being one of the first (apparently) in the UK with a 4mp sensor it worked ok when I last saw it but I cannot find it at the moment, the 10D and 40D have had new batteries but haven't been used for years, but last night when I charged up both sets of 1Dmk4 batteries they didn't even need refreshing.

The thing is when I find a body I do tend to charge it up and go around the house and shoot loads of random stuff on continous drive running the shutter maybe a couple hundred times. Same with anything I get around to finding/using.

My parents tho can break a new vacuum cleaner in a year or so, run it 15 secs, then off to move a chair, on for five secs, then move the chair back and so on through the house. Maybe it goes on/off a hundred times in an hour whereas if it was run for an hour solid the comparative wear would probably be five percent compared to their habits.

So, I would say lack of use does ruin things, or maybe not using things for long enough/hard enough each time it's brought out... must go and find that 1Dmk1 body today :rolleyes:

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
Switzerland
Dec 03, 2016 05:04 |  #30

Think I remember reading somewhere from Canon that for storage only to partially charge batteries, not fully charge, and to store batteries separate from the gear.

Canon : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS II : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

sponsored links

3,328 views & 6 likes for this thread
Non-use leads to failure?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.