Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 29 Oct 2016 (Saturday) 14:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

wish me luck!

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Oct 29, 2016 14:31 |  #1

so, theres a gal (server) at the local greasy spoon we like to eat at that has always had a sort of eclectic look about herself. a couple of small tattoos behind her ear, very lacy/wiry/jangly earrings, one of those spring/stretch chokers and makeup that is just a bit edgy...

shes got LOOOONGGG magenta-ish red hair she usually has braided and in a bun...

she made a comment a couple of weeks ago (i queried her about her hair being down) and she said it was either sleep an extra 30 minutes or put her hair up. she opted for the sleep because she was at a goth/metal concert the night before...

having had decent comments about a "fashion/glam" photo i put up here i decided id look for a gal to do some fashion shots. definitely a TforP situation since i dont have the funds for paying someone especially if theyre just starting out...

i pop on model mayhem and who should be in my neighborhood? the gal from the restaurant! i gave her my email address so she can contact me with HER info, and im going to set up a shoot at a coffeeshop/bookstore, who's owner i know. shes into steampunk so i think the location will be spot on. they advertise the shop as a "little bit of greenwich village" (maybe bohemia?)

i hope im able to get creative enough to figure out 10-12 poses and competent enough to get good images!

im thinking of going with just one speedlite in a brolly or reflector umbrella because its going to be a little bit tight quarters...

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Oct 29, 2016 21:33 |  #2

Looking forward to results.

You can do a ton with one speedlight - but I would personally take two or three and some gels, use the extras bare/gelled for a kicker or background light.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 29, 2016 23:14 |  #3

nathancarter wrote in post #18170702 (external link)
Looking forward to results.

You can do a ton with one speedlight - but I would personally take two or three and some gels, use the extras bare/gelled for a kicker or background light.

ive got 2 but by then, ill have 5 (600ex rt) but only 2 lighting stands. i dont know if ill have any more stands before then or if ill need to use the foot/stands...

honestly i dont have that much experience with artificial lighting OR with directing a model hence my reasoning for keeping it as simple as i can...

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Oct 30, 2016 10:45 |  #4

You may not need a stand for the second or third. A bare Speedlight is easy to put anywhere - put it on a shelf or clamp it to a wall or something, or on the floor to light the background.

In this one, the main light was a Speedlight in a brolly box on a stand, and the rim light was a second bare Speedlight clamped to the detail on the back wall, just out of frame camera left.

https://flic.kr/p/sTXA​xm (external link)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Nov 29, 2016 09:55 |  #5

shot with the model last night and had a great time! my non-photographer buddy helped out a lot moving furniture and double checking for hair and giving some direction...

the coffee shop is a LOT tighter quarters than i imagined (remembered?)!

ill cross-post the photo sharing thread here when i get them processed and shared...

i think they turned out pretty good but since my photos are C&C permitted, i hope everyone is less than brutal lol....

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Nov 29, 2016 12:33 as a reply to Ltdave's post |  #6

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​471635

decided they didnt belong in the Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk forum so theyre in the People forum...

ritalinboy
20 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Nov 30, 2016 21:31 |  #7

Good luck!

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Dec 01, 2016 01:08 as a reply to ritalinboy's post |  #8

Go to the link in the post above yours and have a look see...

Let me know if I made the grade....

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Dec 03, 2016 04:47 |  #9

Good luck!

sponsored links

1,565 views & 1 like for this thread
wish me luck!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.