Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 16 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 07:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CANON 2 FUJI TRADE

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 30, 2016 21:42 |  #16

LOL

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
ICarumba
143 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Dec 04, 2016 10:21 |  #17

i am also now battling very strong urge to switch to fuji. Main reason is i want to have a camera which im able to bring anywhere, not feeling overwhelming taking it out in public and slightly unnoticed for doing street photo.

Finally today i went to fuji store to try out.. my impression as someone who has no experience with fuji.
1. Xt 1 is handling very nice and very solid. But for my purpose i like xt 10 since its very small. They all both much much lighter than my 6d ... even with cheap lenses.

2. I guess focusing is very fast on both xt1 and xt10. Xt2 is extremely fast. However the lighting condition is not bad.

3. Im not used to using evf ... i think i like ovf better. The resolution is not very good and i think the color is off. Maybe people only use it for composition and checking exposure.

4. I dont like the size of my 6d but weight is not my concern. I even like a camera to be slightly on a heavy side. It feels more solid. The fuji is very light.

Having tried the fuji i think i really like it sizewise. But i need to be convinced that it produces at least equal or better image quality. But then comparing canon images on this forum and fuji images on fuji forum. People on this forum tends to make nicer pictures.

I use camera mainly for traveling. Is it a good move selling 6d, canon 16-35f4, sigma 35, canon 85 1.8 and get fuji xt10, 10-24, 23 f2 and 35 f1.4?

F2Bthere
704 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 04, 2016 10:59 |  #18

ICarumba wrote in post #18202898 (external link)
i am also now battling very strong urge to switch to fuji. Main reason is i want to have a camera which im able to bring anywhere, not feeling overwhelming taking it out in public and slightly unnoticed for doing street photo.

Finally today i went to fuji store to try out.. my impression as someone who has no experience with fuji.
1. Xt 1 is handling very nice and very solid. But for my purpose i like xt 10 since its very small. They all both much much lighter than my 6d ... even with cheap lenses.

2. I guess focusing is very fast on both xt1 and xt10. Xt2 is extremely fast. However the lighting condition is not bad.

3. Im not used to using evf ... i think i like ovf better. The resolution is not very good and i think the color is off. Maybe people only use it for composition and checking exposure.

4. I dont like the size of my 6d but weight is not my concern. I even like a camera to be slightly on a heavy side. It feels more solid. The fuji is very light.

Having tried the fuji i think i really like it sizewise. But i need to be convinced that it produces at least equal or better image quality. But then comparing canon images on this forum and fuji images on fuji forum. People on this forum tends to make nicer pictures.

I use camera mainly for traveling. Is it a good move selling 6d, canon 16-35f4, sigma 35, canon 85 1.8 and get fuji xt10, 10-24, 23 f2 and 35 f1.4?

Did you try the Xpro2? It has OVF and EVF.

You can add a grip, which adds significantly to the weight and gives good balance. It also provides Arca-Swiss connectivity to a tripod. The grip, base and side plate can be separated to configure as you prefer.

https://www.amazon.com ..._detailpage?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

I use this one and am happy with it. There are versions for other models.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

jsinon
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Farmington, NH
Post has been edited 10 months ago by jsinon.
Dec 04, 2016 11:47 |  #19

ICarumba wrote in post #18202898 (external link)

I don't miss my 5D3 one bit! This is a straight out of camera jpeg with the Velvia film simulation applied in camera. Other than resizing to share here no other post processing has been done to it.

(Even though the metadata shows "X-T1 IR" this was actually shot with the X-T2)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

ICarumba
143 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Dec 04, 2016 13:47 as a reply to jsinon's post |  #20

Thats a beautiful shot.

Theres part of me still wandering if canon will come up with something good in the future ... with full frame. Honestly its really disapointing nowadays if a crop sensor can be equal to ff in terms or image quality. The twice as big and heavy lenses are there for nothing but building muscle.

jsinon
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Farmington, NH
Dec 04, 2016 15:35 as a reply to ICarumba's post |  #21

Thanks!

Technology is always marching on, faster and faster. The 5D3 has been around for quite a while now, so I'm not at all surprised the latest in crop sensors and in camera processing is better.

Frankly, there's not much Canon could have done or come out with that would have kept me with them. Size and weight were a big reason I switched. I do a lot of hiking for my photos, long and steep hiking, and I was getting tired of carrying all that weight. This is also why I didn't go with Sony. Their L comparable glass is just as big and heavy, not to mention expensive, as my Canon glass.

Lastly, I've never felt an absolute need for a full frame sensor or that the images I was making with my 5D3 were better that what I was making with my previous crop sensor bodies.

foto16
Joined Nov 2016
Washington DC, USA
Dec 04, 2016 16:08 |  #22

ICarumba wrote in post #18203110 (external link)
Thats a beautiful shot.

Theres part of me still wandering if canon will come up with something good in the future ... with full frame. Honestly its really disapointing nowadays if a crop sensor can be equal to ff in terms or image quality. The twice as big and heavy lenses are there for nothing but building muscle.

Canon FF mirrorless will have lenses as big and heavy as DSLR. Just look at Sony A7 series. The manufacturers cannot beat physics. If size and weight is of concern, the only way is to go to APS-C or m43 and use prime lenses. One can use primes on Sony A7 to cut down on the size, but the fast primes are still large and heavy and you really have to go to slower primes to be small and light which completely offsets the advantage of FF. Nowadays all the modern cameras above m43 are so capable that the limitation of the photographer will kick in first before the sensor limit. I've had 5DII for a long time, but don't miss it compared to my Fuji. I've not see a single good photo (I mean real photo, not test image to show paper thin DOF and astronomical ISO) that cannot be achieved by aps-c or m43.

jsinon
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Farmington, NH
Dec 05, 2016 05:43 |  #23

foto16 wrote in post #18203287 (external link)
Canon FF mirrorless will have lenses as big and heavy as DSLR. Just look at Sony A7 series. The manufacturers cannot beat physics. If size and weight is of concern, the only way is to go to APS-C or m43 and use prime lenses. One can use primes on Sony A7 to cut down on the size, but the fast primes are still large and heavy and you really have to go to slower primes to be small and light which completely offsets the advantage of FF. Nowadays all the modern cameras above m43 are so capable that the limitation of the photographer will kick in first before the sensor limit. I've had 5DII for a long time, but don't miss it compared to my Fuji. I've not see a single good photo (I mean real photo, not test image to show paper thin DOF and astronomical ISO) that cannot be achieved by aps-c or m43.

This is exactly why I took Sony off the table as a mirrorless option. Not to mention the Sony's are just too damn expensive. My XT2 and XF lenses gives me everything my 5D3 and big heavy L glass did at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of a fraction of the size and weight.

An added bonus was that I was able to sell all of my Canon gear and buy all new Fuji gear, with several hundred dollars left over.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 10 months ago by AlanU.
Dec 05, 2016 10:07 |  #24

foto16 wrote in post #18203287 (external link)

I'm not sure you can categorize M43 along side the aps-c sensor.

I've used M43 for about 5yrs as a secondary. The fuji or sony aps-c sensor is a big jump from even the latest newest m43 sensor simply due to physics. The latest E-M1mk2 is $$$$$ and the fuji X-T2 surpasses the IQ by a large margin. E-M1mk2 has little difference in high iso performance or dynamic range. I do still appreciate small form factor but the fuji 16mp bodies still have high iso advantage.

If the skills of the photographer is "high" there is without a doubt LESS limitations using a sony aps-c or fuji sensor.

When it comes to IQ even a slight improvement in image quality is still better place for a photographer.

Yesterday I experimented with my Canon 80D and it did an acceptable job at iso 6400 using my 16-35mm f/2.8 zoom. On print I think the results would be very good. I know 100% my previous m43 gear would not be acceptable at all using iso 6400.

I'm still in a comfort zone with my old 5dmk2. Shooting a paid event with my 24L, 16-35L or 24-70L (as a primary body) I can hold my own with little concern. Fuji still even adopting remote HSS flash with my cactus v6mk2 the autofocus in low light still does not meet my standards. I guess I should not fully say this until i buy a 16-55 f/2.8. The 10-24mm during a "test run" the camera/lens combo simply did not focus in lower light in some instances.

However IQ wise the new tech bodies are very impressive. The image quality using strobes or run/gun Ettl flash the Canon 80D has seriously shocked me in how well canon renders with it's latest crop sensor. Never in a million years did I think I'd say this about a canon crop sensor!!

Going from my panasonic gh3 to 80D for a video rig was a massive difference in universal use.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

foto16
Joined Nov 2016
Washington DC, USA
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by foto16. 6 edits done in total.
Dec 05, 2016 10:51 |  #25

AlanU wrote in post #18203993 (external link)
I'm not sure you can categorize M43 along side the aps-c sensor.

I've used M43 for about 5yrs as a secondary. The fuji or sony aps-c sensor is a big jump from even the latest newest m43 sensor simply due to physics. The latest E-M1mk2 is $$$$$ and the fuji X-T2 surpasses the IQ by a large margin. E-M1mk2 has little difference in high iso performance or dynamic range.

If the skills of the photographer is "high" there is without a doubt LESS limitations using a sony aps-c or fuji sensor.

When it comes to IQ even a slight improvement in image quality is still better place for a photographer.

I don't think we disagree. Other things being equal, the better the sensor, the less the limitation for the photographer. In terms of raw power, there is roughly one stop difference from m43, to aps-c, to FF in terms of dynamic range and high ISO. That's the physics. What I mean is that I think m43 is the minimum sensor size that doesn't limit the photographer in a regular way---in that sense it's there along side with aps-c and FF for professional use (it's been used by Magnum photographers). When there is a difference in raw power, there is often a workaround. For example, for landscape, one can use GND or exposure blending to tame dynamic range, and ISO doesn't matter. For street photography, clean IQ does not matter that much.

I sold my 5D2 due to weight and size, but I'm still using an Olympus EM5 and Fuji X-E2 interchangeably. In good light there is no difference between the two; at high ISO there is a one stop difference but the Oly has IBIS. On the Oly you can touch the LCD and the AF is instantaneous. It also has a different (of course not better) color characteristics from Fuji for streets. In my gallery I have a street shot taken with a first generation m43 camera, the E-P2 (the meta data E-PL5 is wrong). It has horrible noise above 800, but the picture is still one of my favorites. But if I can only keep one system, I will keep the Fuji just for the reasons you have said.

ICarumba
143 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Dec 19, 2016 09:27 as a reply to foto16's post |  #26

I have finally took the leap... sold all my canon for xt-10, 10-24, 23mm and 55-200

- I like the color better on the fuji. Sharpness wise i would say roughly equal to 35 sigma however i tested it at f4 only.
- fuji raw has alot more noise compared to canon 6d. For me 800 iso in fuji has almost the same noise as canon 6d in iso 3200. I may be wrong.
- Im amazed with the sharpness 55-200 produced.
- fuji 23 is my favourite lens... compact, very solid, sharp.
- center focus on 6d is amazing but on fuji the focus points are everywhere corner to corner. 6d is great if the object is in the center or slightly off center only.

Overall, im happy with the switch. Not because QuLity image its produce. But because of its size. I can now take my camera out more often than ever.

F2Bthere
704 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 19, 2016 22:48 |  #27

ICarumba wrote in post #18217499 (external link)
I have finally took the leap... sold all my canon for xt-10, 10-24, 23mm and 55-200

- I like the color better on the fuji. Sharpness wise i would say roughly equal to 35 sigma however i tested it at f4 only.
- fuji raw has alot more noise compared to canon 6d. For me 800 iso in fuji has almost the same noise as canon 6d in iso 3200. I may be wrong.
- Im amazed with the sharpness 55-200 produced.
- fuji 23 is my favourite lens... compact, very solid, sharp.
- center focus on 6d is amazing but on fuji the focus points are everywhere corner to corner. 6d is great if the object is in the center or slightly off center only.

Overall, im happy with the switch. Not because QuLity image its produce. But because of its size. I can now take my camera out more often than ever.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Once I started using a smaller, quieter system, I sold off my Nikon cameras and most lenses (some still get used on Fuji).

You might try processing the RAW files in Capture One (free 30 day trial) and see what that does for detail, sharpness and noise reduction with the default settings. Others like Irridient as a RAW processor if you are on Mac.

Welcome to Mount Fuji!

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Feb 04, 2017 16:19 |  #28

I picked up an X70 to have on me all the time and I am very impressed with the image quality for such a small body.

F2Bthere
704 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 06, 2017 16:30 |  #29

Osa713 wrote in post #18264707 (external link)
I picked up an X70 to have on me all the time and I am very impressed with the image quality for such a small body.

A very nice thing about Fuji is, if you get a certain generation of image sensor, your IQ is as good as with the top of the line camera. If you don't need the features of a heavier camera, Fuji isn't going to penalize you in image quality.

Enal
38 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Baton Rouge, LA - USA
Feb 08, 2017 07:26 |  #30

I literally just made this switch on Monday! Sold my Canon 5DMKIII, 16-35L, 11-24L and still have the 100-400MKII Lens up for sale in the classified area.

The Fuji system has interested me for quite a while now especially when the X-T2 was released. I wanted to give it some time on the market before I made the move. While poking around on the FujiAmerica site I found out that they have a "Try Before You Buy" program (rental) and you can pick from any of the current bodies available and all the lenses they have. I did this and even though it cost $180 I was able to shoot for 7 days with the camera I was thinking of switching to and made the decision much easier!

I actually couldn't wait to return the camera after the first 3 days so I could locate one online, which was really tough because they are out of stock nearly everywhere. I was lucky enough to find a setup at the Houston Camera Exchange on the current Fuji Special @ $1699 for a new X-T2 + Booster Grip.
Basically this special gets you the Fuji Booster Grip for $100.

I also ordered a super-zoom 18-135mm just to have for travel & family stuff, but I have to say that this lens is really amazing. Next I'm looking into a 10-24mm or a 16mm 1.4

Mine should be here today so I'll be up all night getting things going..!

P.S. Somebody please go buy my LN Canon 100-400MKII:lol:

sponsored links

5,499 views & 15 likes for this thread
CANON 2 FUJI TRADE
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.