Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 400mm f/4L IS DO II USM

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Post has been edited 7 months ago by sanil.
Nov 23, 2016 08:19 |  #496

On Idx II this lens is easier to handhold ( CG falls nearer to the camera as weight of 1DX II is more) than on my 6d.

I guess the less weight of 7d II makes it slightly more difficult to handhold.

best

Anil

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/anilsarvepalli​/ (external link)

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 23, 2016 09:28 |  #497

John Sheehy wrote in post #18192425 (external link)
f/8 is a bit quirkier on the 7D2, because only the center point is f/8, and so it doesn't have 9-point mode at f/8. I find 9-point to be useful in situations at f/5.6 where complex scenery depth or very low light and contrast make single-point hunt excessively.

Unfortunately, the 400/4 DO II does not have manual focus override just by turning the focus ring, like all my other lenses do. I am very angry at Canon for this "feature". I reject rear button focus (it is a camera-jostling extra step), and I do not want to reach for one of those buttons near the front of the lens as an extra, camera-shaking step before beginning manual focus. Just turning the focus ring should send a message to the camera to "GTH out of my way and stop trying to AF" until I release the shutter button completely. I have lost so many shots because the 400/4 DO II would not allow me to instantly switch to manual focus by turning the ring, but undid my successful manual focus like a sadistic demon.

The system *does* allow MF after the focus locks, but if it is hunting, it never locks. So, 9-point is useful in hunting-prone situations, because it does lock faster and hunts less, and if it locks on the wrong thing, it only take a small twist of the focus ring to focus on the subject, without the camera re-attempting AF and go hunting when you have already achieved perfect MF.

I am looking forward to a 7D3-like camera with high pixel density, and f/8 at all AF points. Having two shutter buttons right next to each other with two different settings, say AF and no AF, would be too much to ask for, I suppose. Canon wants me reaching all around the body and lens while shooting active subjects in a very narrow FOV.

'7D3-like camera with high pixel density, and f/8 ' and a huge buffer and I'm in :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 23, 2016 09:46 |  #498

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18192506 (external link)
'7D3-like camera with high pixel density, and f/8 ' and a huge buffer and I'm in :)

Let's go for f/11 center-point, while we're at it! I'd pay a few hundred extra dollars for that. Even if you never needed it, it would mean that the f/8 AF in the center point should be superb.

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Nov 24, 2016 05:29 |  #499

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18192198 (external link)
we found the 3 foot tall pigeon with 5 inch long talons

If that's their pigeons I hate to meet their Eagle or something!!! :eek: ;-)a

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Nov 24, 2016 05:32 |  #500

John Sheehy wrote in post #18192425 (external link)
f/8 is a bit quirkier on the 7D2, because only the center point is f/8, and so it doesn't have 9-point mode at f/8. I find 9-point to be useful in situations at f/5.6 where complex scenery depth or very low light and contrast make single-point hunt excessively.

Unfortunately, the 400/4 DO II does not have manual focus override just by turning the focus ring, like all my other lenses do. I am very angry at Canon for this "feature". I reject rear button focus (it is a camera-jostling extra step), and I do not want to reach for one of those buttons near the front of the lens as an extra, camera-shaking step before beginning manual focus. Just turning the focus ring should send a message to the camera to "GTH out of my way and stop trying to AF" until I release the shutter button completely. I have lost so many shots because the 400/4 DO II would not allow me to instantly switch to manual focus by turning the ring, but undid my successful manual focus like a sadistic demon.

The system *does* allow MF after the focus locks, but if it is hunting, it never locks. So, 9-point is useful in hunting-prone situations, because it does lock faster and hunts less, and if it locks on the wrong thing, it only take a small twist of the focus ring to focus on the subject, without the camera re-attempting AF and go hunting when you have already achieved perfect MF.

I am looking forward to a 7D3-like camera with high pixel density, and f/8 at all AF points. Having two shutter buttons right next to each other with two different settings, say AF and no AF, would be too much to ask for, I suppose. Canon wants me reaching all around the body and lens while shooting active subjects in a very narrow FOV.

What no FTMF! This is essential for looking lots of action like BIF!!

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 24, 2016 07:23 |  #501

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18193279 (external link)
If that's their pigeons I hate to meet their Eagle or something!!! :eek: ;-)a

Sometimes when I am in a group that has gathered around a perched raptor, I ask people if they would be standing there if they were 6 inches tall. No feathers; not much fur; we'd be favored prey!

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Nov 24, 2016 07:30 |  #502

It is better than the previous version, especially with a TC. Grateful for the thread, as I was wondering whether or not to update.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 25, 2016 05:56 |  #503

S.Horton wrote in post #18193333 (external link)
It is better than the previous version, especially with a TC. Grateful for the thread, as I was wondering whether or not to update.

I'm a big fan. Just got back from Panama. The 400DOii went, the 500ISii stayed at home. Same for many other big trips. The airlines are getting worse but the 400DOii still fits in the overhead even on the puddlejumper with have to use to get out of my home area. Plus I can still handhold it, the 500 only for a minute or two. I'd do the upgrade because it has been my bread and butter lens too many times. I probably waisted a lot of money and effort for the 500 but it is paid for and does get some use when I can drive. The real quandary will be when the 600DO hits the market because I'm really leaning a-mount withe a99ii.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Nov 25, 2016 06:11 as a reply to MedicineMan4040's post |  #504

when 600 DO hits the market , 2x converter will be on 600 and 400 shall be a wild life lens..:-P.

I tried 500 before deciding on 400 DO II. Was not able to hand hold for more than a minute or two and I always felt tripod is a nuisance (inspite of obvious advantages ). 500 gave me a bette bokeh however.

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Nov 27, 2016 07:31 |  #505

with 2xIII

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Nov 27, 2016 07:32 |  #506

with 2xIII

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Nov 27, 2016 07:32 |  #507

with 2xiii

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Philihase
Joined Dec 2013
Giessen Germany
Dec 05, 2016 03:12 |  #508

Icy weather here in Germany heres a Read Bunting from the weekend.

HOSTED PHOTO

https://www.facebook.c​om ...e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Dec 05, 2016 04:20 as a reply to Philihase's post |  #509

one of the best shots of this thread... lovely colors..

sanil
488 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hyderabad - Deccan
Dec 05, 2016 06:00 |  #510

with 2xIII

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

128,636 views & 1556 likes for this thread
Canon EF 400mm f/4L IS DO II USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.