Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 20 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 10:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Classic Blunders of the Camera Kind

kurrious
Joined Apr 2013
Central NL. Canada
Aug 12, 2013 12:33 |  #481

here is a "stun arse " moment .Just unpacked a pair of yongnuo 622"s. heart racing ,,fingers trembling,, mind going million miles a second ,, (keep in mind that i am a total newb to photography),I"m too excited to read any damn manual,so i stick the batteries in both ,turn them on ....nothing happens.I remember reading that you might have to turn the batteries to make a good contact so i do that ,,nothing.oh no ,now what, i decide the batteries are dead ,,so i try them in the charger ....nope ,they are charged, DAMN,,(I really dont want to read the manual).Maybe I"m not getting a good contact on the hotshoe....no,,good contact.Oh darn ,they sent me a bunch of crap,I"ll send them back. While taking the batteries out,i notice something odd.In all of my 56 years,when putting batteries in a device the wire spindle always take the negative side of the battery,while on these triggers ,i notice , thats correct for one battery compartment , the other side ,the spindle takes the positive side. so I try that route, hit the on button ...instant reponse from the trigger,,(thank god hehe).Shove it all together ,take a test shot with my trusty xsi ,and everything is hunky dory.i guess i should say,,Damn it!! calm down and read the manual!!!hahahaaha

sponsored links
WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept
Aug 13, 2013 02:43 |  #482

Wasn't it Ralph waldo Emerson who is quoted as saying "If everything else fails read the instructions"?

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008
"...just south of the 23rd Paralell..."
Aug 13, 2013 02:59 |  #483

ewheeler20 wrote in post #15722021external link
Here is a potential one:
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​283865
The OP wanted to know why his 7 year old 30D and kit lens couldn't take nice photos of an airplane MANY miles up in the air... and then scrolling through the thread you can see the OP shooting down all of the very valid opinions (as to why the quality sucked) by the experienced transportation and aviation photographers on this forum. Some people will never learn... :rolleyes:

That's not a blunder - that just plain pig headedness.
His questions haven't got any better, neither has his ability to accept perfectly good and valid advice.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

kurrious
Joined Apr 2013
Central NL. Canada
Aug 13, 2013 08:12 as a reply to WMS's post |  #484

so true ...so true..I will grow up one day,,hopefully not too soon though :)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 14, 2013 03:46 |  #485

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008
"...just south of the 23rd Paralell..."
Sep 20, 2013 18:22 |  #486

Another contender...
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​330941

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Yearexternal linkFinallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmediaexternal link

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 12, 2014 01:00 |  #487

From today: 1dx won't fit 70-200 v2

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5

Laverton
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2014
Nov 09, 2014 10:11 |  #488

:cry:Hello everyone I am a newbie and this is my first post and its a cry for help. Not only am I a newbie I am also a beginner with digital photography. I purchased a Canon EOS 350D second hand last year and it worked fine. I then decided to explore a little moving the knobs and catches, I moved the AM setting to MF but did not change the automatic setting on the Mode dial. I pressed the button and now the camera is not working like it used to do. Can anyone help me please. It shows Err .05 at the bottom of the view finder and the shutter does not operate.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Nov 09, 2014 10:57 |  #489

Hi Laverton. Welcome to POTN.

You might want to start a new thread in the Camera forum http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=9.

This thread is a Specialty" thread meant to poke good-natured fun at those of us who do things with our gear that we should know better than to do.

Perhaps the moderators can move your post to a new thread. You'll probably get more replies that way.

My Gear

Wolfie01SS
30 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Monroe OHIO
Dec 17, 2014 06:12 |  #490

Laverton wrote in post #17260991external link
:cry:Hello everyone I am a newbie and this is my first post and its a cry for help. Not only am I a newbie I am also a beginner with digital photography. I purchased a Canon EOS 350D second hand last year and it worked fine. I then decided to explore a little moving the knobs and catches, I moved the AM setting to MF but did not change the automatic setting on the Mode dial. I pressed the button and now the camera is not working like it used to do. Can anyone help me please. It shows Err .05 at the bottom of the view finder and the shutter does not operate.

Does the camera click three times before the ERR05?

I had a 350D and got some mud on the pop up flash. The flash was stuck in the down position. When i pressed the shutter, the camera tried three times to pop up the flash and then went into an error. I had to shut it off and back on again to clear the error.

There is a switch/sensor that tells the camera the flash opened next to the flash. If the flash does pop up, check the back of the flash recess and see if there is anything keeping it held down.

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Iowa
Jan 30, 2015 10:44 |  #491

Blunders? How about forgetting ones Camera was on the top of the car and taking off.

Oh man! did it this week. Only a 250.00 loss as it was a Canon SX50:oops:

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Hong Kong
Feb 07, 2015 06:31 |  #492

Not quite as bad as my 430EX battery blunder...but I went out to shoot some night street photography in Seoul this evening, and when I got there, I turned on the camera and got "NO CARD"...left it in my card reader...:-(

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Mar 19, 2016 18:43 |  #493

And then . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 02, 2016 05:19 |  #494

another nominee: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​464757

Stregone
Joined Apr 2008
VA, USA
Dec 05, 2016 19:24 |  #495

I was photographing a k9 nosework trial (its the dog sport version of what bomb and drug sniffing dogs do), when I was nearing the end of my first sd card so I swapped in an empty card and kept shooting away. A little while later there was a lull and I took a moment to review my images. To my horror the images I had taken looked super out of whack. it was all fine the last time I checked them. I go over all my settings and everything looks perfectly fine. Then I realized I had Magic Lantern isntalled on this card, so I go into the ML options and there it is. Turns out last time I used this card I was playing around with the dualiso feature. That wouldn't be too bad, but the settings I left it at were completely inappropriate. Even after running it through the command line program to process the dualiso raw files it was still completely overexposed. I figured out there was a debug flag to dump the lower iso image by itself. Problem is you can only do those debug flags on a single image at a time, and I had taken over 200 photos before I noticed anything was off. So I spent a couple hours learning powershell scripting to run each photo through the converter program with the debug flags, move and rename the low iso file all automatically.

Here it is if anyone else finds them self in the same situation, lol.

$export = "J:\Import me\export"
$import = "J:\Import me\input"
$cr2hdr_dir = "J:\Lightroom\Plugins\​cr2hdr"

$file_list = Get-ChildItem $import *.cr2 -Recurse

cd $cr2hdr_dir

foreach ($file in $file_list)
{
.\cr2hdr.exe --debug-blend $import\$file
$noext = $file.BaseName
Move-Item -Path "fullres_smooth.dng" -Destination "$export\$noext.dng"
}

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

sponsored links

127,699 views & 1 like for this thread
Classic Blunders of the Camera Kind
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.