Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Green Screen software

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,296 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Dec 06, 2016 10:32 |  #1

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Green Screen / Chroma Key software. I'm looking for something at a hobbyist price point, something I could play with - I'm not planning on using it for professional work.

Ideally a Photoshop plugin, but anything considered.

Oh, this would be to run on Windows

Many thanks,
/alan

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 06, 2016 10:51 |  #2

Right now I'm doing a lot of this, and I"m just using Photoshop. It's probably not as easy as other options but it's one I already know. So I recorded 3 actions.

1:
Select>Color Range (I think the fuzziness that worked best for me is 27) - This grabs the bulk of the green.
Turn on Quick mask

At this point I grab a brush and go down to the feet/legs where there are green reflections and adjust selections.

2:
Turn off Quick Mask
Layer>Layer Mask>Hide Selection
Filter>Other>Minimum set two 1 pixel

At this point I double check sometimes brush a bit here or there if something odd happened.

3:
Gaussian blur 1.2 pixels. - At this point I'm still selected on the layer mask so it smooths any edges that were jagged.

Sometimes at this point I'll grab a lasso circle the shoes, Layer adjustment to desaturate the greens. But only if the shoes are attention grabbing and reflecting a bunch of green.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,567 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 06, 2016 22:20 |  #3

Hi Alan, what kind of photography are you intending to do with the green screen, exactly?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,180 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 07, 2016 08:19 |  #4

Green Screen Product Photography?

Green Screen Software??

Easy Green Screen - Photoshop Plugin
http://www.photoshopgr​eenscreen.com/ (external link)

The Easy Green Screen plugin filter makes green and blue screen photography simple. This powerful program quickly extracts images and removes color spill from your chroma key photos.
Current version: 5.0 - Compatible with Photoshop CS3 and higher
Pro Version Comparison $199

Russell Brown Tips & Techniques: Advanced Masking (external link)
Look for the "Advanced Masking" ones.

How To Replace The Sky In A Photo With Photoshop (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

alan_potter
THREAD ­ STARTER
wireless groping system
2,296 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 08, 2016 03:22 |  #5

Thank you all.

I am really only looking to experiment, to play around with the technology and see what I can do with it. Which is why I was looking to spend in the low tens of pounds, not into the hundreds!

I'll have a look at the links you've posted, thank you

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,456 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by nathancarter.

Dec 08, 2016 12:46 |  #6

Not exactly what you asked, but:

Chromakey is great for video because you always have software that does all the work, and since the image is rapidly changing, precision on each image isn't necessary. (but the cheap software still kinda makes crap results).

For still photography, my opinion is that an unlit white paper or light gray paper is superior to a chromakey. Green screen for photos is good for when you need to churn out a bunch of ok-quality photos with a very fast turnaround - for example, an event photobooth. But if you have high standards, the software to do it isn't going to be cheap.

With a green or blue screen, you have to be very careful with your lighting, and you have to have plenty of distance between the subject and the backdrop, in order to avoid a color cast from the lights bouncing off the backdrop onto the subject.

With a non-blown-out white or light-gray backdrop, you don't have to worry about such a color cast, AND, you might not even have to be super precise with your selections - just use a blend mode that works well around the hair and edges of your subject.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

PhotosGuy
75,180 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 08, 2016 13:15 |  #7

nathancarter wrote in post #18207169 (external link)
...for example, an event photobooth.

Where you hope that nobody shows up wearing green! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 08, 2016 13:21 |  #8

nathancarter wrote in post #18207169 (external link)
Not exactly what you asked, but:

Chromakey is great for video because you always have software that does all the work, and since the image is rapidly changing, precision on each image isn't necessary. (but the cheap software still kinda makes crap results).

For still photography, my opinion is that an unlit white paper or light gray paper is superior to a chromakey. Green screen for photos is good for when you need to churn out a bunch of ok-quality photos with a very fast turnaround - for example, an event photobooth. But if you have high standards, the software to do it isn't going to be cheap.

With a green or blue screen, you have to be very careful with your lighting, and you have to have plenty of distance between the subject and the backdrop, in order to avoid a color cast from the lights bouncing off the backdrop onto the subject.

With a non-blown-out white or light-gray backdrop, you don't have to worry about such a color cast, AND, you might not even have to be super precise with your selections - just use a blend mode that works well around the hair and edges of your subject.

Yeah I'm starting to get on board with this. I think I'll run through some tests and see which is easier.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,567 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 08, 2016 15:08 |  #9

Further to Nathan's excellent post. (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 13, 2016 10:04 |  #10

I agree with Nathan, I have found that a light gray BG produces superior results. As he stated, it's generally easier to blend the subject into the new BG when you have a light gray/white as opposed to a green or blue. When using green or blue, any imperfection in selection can really stand out (especially in the hair areas) not to mention color spill onto the subject that can result from the light reflecting off of the BG.

sponsored links

1,781 views & 2 likes for this thread
Green Screen software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.