Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 27 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 18:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Should Canon make a 5Dx?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 06, 2016 15:54 |  #46

Speedscene wrote in post #18205224 (external link)

You should, it's a single digit designated model (the only crop sensor one too).

IF you decide to omit the entire line of 1D - 1D Mark IV ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,212 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Dec 06, 2016 16:47 |  #47

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18152989 (external link)
When would you use ISOs greater than 25600? Once you get to 51200, the scenes you would be shooting would have very little color available, due to almost no light. I shoot sports and the most I would ever need is 25600 to maybe 51200, even for dimly lit elementary gyms. Anything beyond that, and there isn't enough light to even produce anything close to great/deep saturated colors or high contrast.

I believe we are nearing the average user's need of ISO values that would be useful. As seen, efforts are now shifting to much larger resolutions. That is where we will probably start to see more R&D, and the ISO ranges not change all that much going forward.

There is an "electric fence" phenomenon, I think, where people tend to avoid situations that burned them in the past, but slowly, pioneers go in and retest the situation, and then people will push the boundaries further when the technology improves.

Someday we will have cameras that basically count photons, with a very small rate of error. Very high ISOs will be much more usable, even if ISO 1600 doesn't have much room to improve, subjectively. Shooting action in a relatively dark city street at night at 1/1000 would be useful, even though it may seem foreboding now. Noise from low quantities of photons has no chromatic blotches of any size, except rare chance events. It does not cause color casts in shadows. It does not have any banding. It does not exist in blacks; in a contiguous area very close to black, randomly placed dots appear, which, when smoothed out with a wide radius blur, creates a roughly correct average intensity for large areas; net result: full contrast; just a loss of fine detail at extremely low exposure levels.

Things can get a lot better, and when they do, IMO, people will eventually take advantage. Why wouldn't someone want to freeze a nocturnal skateboarder upside down in the air? An owl flying out of its roost without a flash?

Speedscene
Joined Nov 2016
Dec 06, 2016 20:35 |  #48
banned

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18205334 (external link)
IF you decide to omit the entire line of 1D - 1D Mark IV ;)

Oh, I do...

The "1" designated bodies are a separate line all to themselves AFAIK...

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Dec 08, 2016 16:47 |  #49

John Sheehy wrote in post #18205398 (external link)
There is an "electric fence" phenomenon, I think, where people tend to avoid situations that burned them in the past, but slowly, pioneers go in and retest the situation, and then people will push the boundaries further when the technology improves.

Someday we will have cameras that basically count photons, with a very small rate of error. Very high ISOs will be much more usable, even if ISO 1600 doesn't have much room to improve, subjectively. Shooting action in a relatively dark city street at night at 1/1000 would be useful, even though it may seem foreboding now. Noise from low quantities of photons has no chromatic blotches of any size, except rare chance events. It does not cause color casts in shadows. It does not have any banding. It does not exist in blacks; in a contiguous area very close to black, randomly placed dots appear, which, when smoothed out with a wide radius blur, creates a roughly correct average intensity for large areas; net result: full contrast; just a loss of fine detail at extremely low exposure levels.

Things can get a lot better, and when they do, IMO, people will eventually take advantage. Why wouldn't someone want to freeze a nocturnal skateboarder upside down in the air? An owl flying out of its roost without a flash?

I was about to contribute to this thread. Then I read this post and realized my intellect is definitely not up to the challenge.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

7,925 views & 18 likes for this thread
Should Canon make a 5Dx?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.