Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Dec 2016 (Friday) 21:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1DX II or 5D4 + 200 f/2

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 16, 2016 21:03 |  #1

Due to a good year at work I should have an opportunity to upgrade my equipment. I am torn between selling my 7DII and getting a 1dxII, or selling my 5DIII and getting the 5dIV and 200f/2. I do portrait work, high school basketball and volleyball, with the occasional wedding. I know that with the 1dxii or 200 f/2 it would be something that would last many years. The 1Dx2 would obviously be better for sports, and weddings, while the 5dIV would probably be better for portraits (or maybe not???) The 200f/2 would definitely be better for portraits.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. You can also tell me that I need to take something for my GAS, and not do either, and I probably wouldn't be able to argue with you. However, having a chance to acquire this type of gear is probably something that only comes about (for me) every several years.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Dec 17, 2016 03:03 |  #2

Over the past 5 years, I've put any spare monies into my Glass. For me it was the right decision as I could not afford the latest camera bodies as well as the best lenses. I own 2 old canon 1d bodies (1d4 & 1ds3). However, I do own the 200f/2, and some other great glass. This lens with both my bodies is phenomenal. I cannot praise it enough. Yes I get some great results with the 135L & 85L2 but the 200/2 is just in a totally different class. I did a review on this lens in this forum if you wish to check it out. You are in a fortunate position to be able to upgrade your equipment. I can only imagine the 200/2 with the 5dIV being an unbeatable combination. I say .....Go for it, you will not regret it......I mostly enjoy bird photography with my 500/4 but when I use my 200/2 with 1ds3 for family/holiday and any other events it always puts a smile on my face. I cannot ever see my self parting with this wonderful lens. ......You will probably find yourself using your 70-200 f/2.8 (v2) less and less as I do. I have recently thought about selling mine as well as the 1ds3 and putting it towards a 5dIV.....Good luck with what-ever decision you decide to make.
Paul

Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,574 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 17, 2016 07:30 |  #3

tim1970 wrote in post #18215261 (external link)
Due to a good year at work I should have an opportunity to upgrade my equipment. I am torn between selling my 7DII and getting a 1dxII, or selling my 5DIII and getting the 5dIV and 200f/2. I do portrait work, high school basketball and volleyball, with the occasional wedding. I know that with the 1dxii or 200 f/2 it would be something that would last many years. The 1Dx2 would obviously be better for sports, and weddings, while the 5dIV would probably be better for portraits (or maybe not???) The 200f/2 would definitely be better for portraits.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. You can also tell me that I need to take something for my GAS, and not do either, and I probably wouldn't be able to argue with you. However, having a chance to acquire this type of gear is probably something that only comes about (for me) every several years.

First, the disclaimers. I will never own any of those three items of gear, and I don't make money from my photography.

Selling the 7D2 for a 1DX2 only gets you better sports photos if you are not focal-length challenged with FF vs. aps-c. The pixels-on-target of the 7D2 may matter, a lot.

I see most of the upgrades moving from 5DIII to IV as leaning towards video. The 5DIII is already a killer camera. Again, if you don't need the 30MP 5DIV for cropping (focal-length challenged), I don't see a lot in the upgrade. If you need a video upgrade, look at the 80D. It is 1/3 the price of a 5DIV.

About the 200 f/2. BUY IT! If I could afford that lens, I'd use my 200 2.8L II for a boat anchor, or target practice. Will a 230gr hardball .45 ACP round go all the way though (end to end) a 200 2.8L II? OMG! You get f/2 and IS in a 200mm lens! BUY IT!

My conclusions: Don't move on either camera switch until you can define exactly what you are gaining/losing with each deal. BUY THE 200mm F/2.

Tom

731 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX II or 5D4 + 200 f/2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.