Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 28 Nov 2016 (Monday) 06:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

shooting in Manual mode

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Dec 09, 2016 15:50 |  #61

thc1979 wrote in post #18208107 (external link)
I always thought (perhaps wrongly assumed) that HTP only affected the JPEG preview and was effectively lost with RAW?

Depending on the JPG style settings, HTP may cause more highlights to be pulled down and made visible, which would otherwise clip, but there is a full stop more headroom in the RAW, too. That's why I adopted using it when my cameras provided auto-ISO-M, but without EC. Even though I have EC now, with the 7D2, I still use HTP except when I expect ISOs to go very low (200 to about 500), and there are details in the shadows, in which case HTP is not ideal, especially if you have a camera with lots of banding noise in base ISO shadows, like the 50D or 5D2.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 09, 2016 16:39 |  #62

HTP affects the raw, there is no way to toggle that in DPP. ALO is an option that is modifiable independently of the raw, perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

Edit: article http://www.rawdigger.c​om/node/280 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Dec 10, 2016 14:24 |  #63

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18208233 (external link)
HTP affects the raw, there is no way to toggle that in DPP. ALO is an option that is modifiable independently of the raw, perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

Edit: article http://www.rawdigger.c​om/node/280 (external link)

Thanks I might start giving it a go. I normally ignore HTP, auto/high ISO noise reduction etc as I always thought it was irrelevant with RAW.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

jp3ters
Joined Dec 2016
Dec 19, 2016 12:26 |  #64

Reading through the post I see a lot of different opinions. At the end of the day, all that matters is what are your goals, I personally have manual ISO, in order not to get a too much-amplified signal - basically not to record a too bright picture. For Manual mode, I love to train on analog camera, in order to limit the other options, however, I do like to have digital support at times when I don't have enough time to adjust exposure for all the things which are happening around, and needed to be photographed. It does not really matter if you choose to leave auto-ISO or turn to manual, what matters is do you receive the results you wanted in the first place?

6,986 views & 26 likes for this thread
shooting in Manual mode
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.