Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 20 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 13:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which one to print?

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Dec 20, 2016 13:43 |  #1

I'd like to order a canvas from one of these that will also serve as a sample to show clients. Which one is the most "print-worthy"?

Not my final edits btw.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Dec 20, 2016 13:44 |  #2

2 and 3.

Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

King ­ Kenny
Joined Dec 2016
La Haye du Puits: Normandy, France.
Dec 20, 2016 13:52 as a reply to atsilverstein's post |  #3

I asked the family (two male and two female). Three said no. 1, I said no 3.
Kenny.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Dec 20, 2016 13:52 |  #4

I'm not a huge fan of canvas prints featuring individuals. I personally like them more for family group portraits. That said, I think that the last one here is best suited for a large canvas. The first one is a bit "too in your face close" and the second one clips the top of her head and is otherwise not as engaging as the last shot.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Dec 20, 2016 14:04 |  #5

Ask a photographer versus a non-photographer and you'll likely get different opinions. That's why I have a hard time trying to second guess what clients like. I'm usually wrong...

No.1 is a straightforward, cute, typical portrait. Kind of 'run-of-the-mill' so I would say that appeals most to a client.
No.2 breaks away from the typical and introduces an element of creativity and individuality. Although no one expects her to really know how to play the violin at that age so it's definitely seen as a prop. Plus the expression speaks volumes of not being very happy with the pose.
No.3 has a combination of the two above. Lots of personality coming through while having a non-typical element in it. For me, that would be my choice but, as I said above, I'm usually wrong.

Just my two bits as a non-portrait photographer. Take it with a grain of salt. ;-)a

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Dec 20, 2016 14:27 |  #6

-Duck- wrote in post #18218857 (external link)
Although no one expects her to really know how to play the violin at that age so it's definitely seen as a prop.

Off-topic, but lots of parents introduce their kids to violin at age 2 or 3. My sister got a "late" start at age 5. This is why there's even a toddler sized violin to begin with... not just a prop. In photo #2, this little girl grips the body of the violin in the appropriate way for positioning the violin before playing it. She also shows that she knows how to generally grip the bow, based on how she's placed her fingers on it. I believe this girl does know how to play... and based on the 3rd photo, she loves her violin. Again... my vote for #3.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by atsilverstein.
Dec 20, 2016 15:03 |  #7

Nathan wrote in post #18218893 (external link)
-Duck- wrote in post #18218857 (external link)
Although no one expects her to really know how to play the violin at that age so it's definitely seen as a prop.

Off-topic, but lots of parents introduce their kids to violin at age 2 or 3. My sister got a "late" start at age 5. This is why there's even a toddler sized violin to begin with... not just a prop. In photo #2, this little girl grips the body of the violin in the appropriate way for positioning the violin before playing it. She also shows that she knows how to generally grip the bow, based on how she's placed her fingers on it. I believe this girl does know how to play... and based on the 3rd photo, she loves her violin. Again... my vote for #3.

Nathan is correct. This is my daughter and I got her a violin a few months ago on her 3rd birthday, just like how I got my first violin on my 3rd birthday as well. This is a fully functioning and playable violin, and I'm actually paying extra for it because I wanted a nice one for her that has a good tone and isn't squeaky.

It's actually taken several lessons to get her to this point. Violin is one of the hardest instruments to learn and playing a musical instrument is one of the few activities that engages all parts of the brain. Yes she looks unhappy there but the frown is really in concentration, as she is at that moment mustering all the concentration she can to execute 6 things correctly at the same time (she came close). Hmm.. I think I have a photo of myself playing too.. I'll see if I can find it :D

- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Dec 20, 2016 15:15 |  #8

Here's me at a wedding during the ceremony
The pressure to perform is intense, you can tell by my face lol. It must be genetic ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Dec 20, 2016 16:42 |  #9

I like #2 the most. She looks like she knows what she's doing with the violin. To me, it looks like she's waiting for a cue from the conductor.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,887 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Dec 20, 2016 16:46 |  #10

I would go with #3, as it shows a ton of personality, relation to the instrument and doesn't cut off or block parts of her. First one looks a bit forced, feels a little too "tight" and crops off her elbow, awkwardly; second one looks very sad and her eyes are too covered by her hair.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Dec 20, 2016 16:50 |  #11

2 and 3, on canvas. 1 is nice, but looked like a forced smile, to me.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

kid007
Joined Jan 2010
Western Australia, Australia.
Dec 20, 2016 18:10 |  #12

I prefere no.3 - i like the expression on the kid's face as it appers natural and feels happy.

5D Mark 2, 400D, 24-70 f2.8 L, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, Zeiss 50mm f1.4 T* ZE and 580EX2
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kid007/ (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,507 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Dec 20, 2016 23:25 |  #13

I'll put in a vote for #3.

Mark

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Dec 20, 2016 23:29 |  #14

2 & 3

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 21, 2016 07:29 |  #15

I'd say 2 or 3 but if it were me I'd go w/ #3

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links

2,245 views & 14 likes for this thread
Which one to print?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.