Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 24 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 00:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hard Drive Crash - Data Recovery Recommendations

alphamalex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Lexington, KY, U.S.A
Dec 24, 2016 17:10 |  #16

So I have tried all I could think of (other than actually do the drive head replacement from the clone I bought), and am ready to give up since the wife is requesting my presence with the guests.

I might try that operation next week but after watching some more youtube since I have learned that there are some nuances to handling the heads with caution.

Or give drive savers a call and send it to them; looks like they have free estimates.

Merry Christmas POTN!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Freddy the Freeloaderexternal link aka Freddy the Freeloaderexternal link
5DIII, 5D II, 5Dc, 7D with 24-70 2.8L II, 24-70 2.8L, 24-105 F4L IS, 70-200 F2.8L IS, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 400 5.6L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 28-135, 55-250
Kenko EF/EFS Tubes, Canon 12mm Tube, EF 2x II Converter, 380EX, 580EX II, Manfrotto MT294A3, Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,302 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Dec 25, 2016 08:25 |  #17

Good luck. And instead of those 2 8TB drives, I would get 4 4TB, 2 of them in your PC, other two in separate RAID/NAS enclosure or even a USB enclosures and separate from the PC.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,309 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Bassat. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 25, 2016 08:38 |  #18

I use 4 drives. One C:, one secondary mirrored inside the computer case. Two backups in USB enclosures. I try to keep one off-site, but not working means about the best I can do is put it in my car.

EDIT:
Forgot, I keep a 5th drive (same exact disk as C: ) with the OS installed and ready to go. If my primary fails, I can be up and running (and in need of updates) in about 3 minutes.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 25, 2016 10:33 |  #19

For those unsure on how to backup, I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.

http://www.macrium.com​/reflectfree.aspx (external link)

A good tutorial is this book. A bit expensive, but very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com ...&keywords=Macrium+R​eflect (external link)

There is an e-version of the book for 10 bucks less.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

txphotographer
55 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Houston, TX USA
Dec 25, 2016 17:51 |  #20

I know nothing about it, but someone on another forum was successful using EaseUS data recovery.

Rick

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Dec 26, 2016 12:29 |  #21

txphotographer wrote in post #18223462 (external link)
I know nothing about it, but someone on another forum was successful using EaseUS data recovery.

EaseUS Data Backup & Recovery has worked for me most times. Version 10 exists indeed even in a free version (some limitations apply). But to recover, the idea is that you took the bother to save the stuff previously on disk or USB drive or on a location on your network. Failing that, once the damage is done the tool will not accomplish the expected miracle.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Dec 27, 2016 02:32 |  #22

It's been a while since I reviewed the on-line backup solutions. But when I did a few years ago I decided on Crashplan. The things I liked about it were: unlimited backup storage for a low fixed price, ability to backup to cloud storage, a local drive, and either another remote PC's drive simultaneously, option to have your data shipped back to you on an external HDD in the event of complete system crash, and support for Windows and MacOSX. I've been using it for four years or so and it has worked brilliantly.

The only shortcomings with Crashplan is it will not backup to a NAS appliance and backing up NAS volumes from a Windows PC is not fully supported.

In addition to Crashplan, I have a script setup to automatically copy all my data to a NAS appliance once a week, and also perform a full image via Macrium Free twice a year.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Dec 27, 2016 15:29 |  #23

Regarding the stuck heads part of your problem - have you tried putting the drive in the freezer? That sometimes allows "stiction" problems to be overcome.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

alphamalex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Lexington, KY, U.S.A
Dec 27, 2016 20:20 as a reply to aphphoto's post |  #24

Yes, I have tried that not once, but twice .. did not work :(

Freddy the Freeloaderexternal link aka Freddy the Freeloaderexternal link
5DIII, 5D II, 5Dc, 7D with 24-70 2.8L II, 24-70 2.8L, 24-105 F4L IS, 70-200 F2.8L IS, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 400 5.6L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 28-135, 55-250
Kenko EF/EFS Tubes, Canon 12mm Tube, EF 2x II Converter, 380EX, 580EX II, Manfrotto MT294A3, Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Dec 27, 2016 20:41 |  #25

alphamalex wrote in post #18225186 (external link)
Yes, I have tried that not once, but twice .. did not work :(

Ah. Too bad. Well then I'm afraid that any further down the road of DIY greatly decreases the chances for a professional recovery. There are techniques that can be done at home but I can't recommend them - and the tools and materials are hard to come by with a steep learning curve. I'm afraid you are going to have to send it out - but perhaps ask a local computer shop if they have a relationship with someone like Kroll. I know that OnTrack sometimes has $500 coupons or at the very least will waive the diagnostic charge if sent through an authorized partner. Might be worth asking about if there is a shop that you feel you can trust. NOT emphatically NOT anyone like Geek Squad.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Jan 08, 2017 00:23 |  #26

FYI

I have many terabytes of disks and data. I use Storagecraft.com to backup my system.

I run a weekly full backup and incrementals twice daily. You can set up backup schedules anyway you like. Even incrementals every couple of minutes if desired.

Also run 2 separate monthly backups to other hard disks. They are remote from the PC. Locals are also rotated offsite. Basically I can recover work out to a half days work and 3 versions back.

The first day I got the software, I tested it. A complete backup and a bare metal recovery. Absolutely solid solution.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sponsored links

3,336 views & 6 likes for this thread
Hard Drive Crash - Data Recovery Recommendations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.