Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 23 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 04:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

waste under the feeder (s)

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Nov 23, 2016 04:51 |  #1

Had a thought-which can be dangerous. I cannot justify the cost of the so-called waste-free seed. The accumulation of debris under my feeders is considerable. While burning leaves, thought what if I place them in an area via hooks or something like MalVeauX's mobile feed stand where I can temporarily relocate in the fall while I burn leaves etc. during fall clean-up in that area? Wonder if that would significantly reduce the hulls, etc.
Return the feeders after clean-up is completed, spread a layer of combustible mulch and and repeat the following year. I also have a supply of brick pavers I could use to make a fire ring to somewhat control the area.
Anyone do something like this? Thoughts?

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Nov 23, 2016 21:40 |  #2

I typically move my feeders around the yard few times each year, which for me isn't hard since I have the space. I'm more concerned with disease, and bacteria that may be harmful to the birds due to the built up feces and seed hulls. Burning this stuff would be one solution I hadn't thought of...

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Nov 24, 2016 05:01 as a reply to Beekeeper's post |  #3

Hey Zach, hope your holiday plans are going well.

I actually did a partial move this summer-to defeat the squirrels who had learned to jump from the tree to my 1 feeder. But that just created a 2nd mess. The more I think about this, the better I'm liking it. Think I'll have a better bg for some shots. But I will make my shade problem somewhat worse, so maybe a trade-off in that respect.

See what happens come next spring.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rog

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 26, 2016 01:41 |  #4

ardeekay wrote in post #18192333 (external link)
I cannot justify the cost of the so-called waste-free seed.

It's not just the cost which is a problem; when you use the waste-free seed, the birds can come in and get their fill in a very short time, then they're gone. When they have to work their way thru the hulls, they spend a lot more time at your feeder, and you can enjoy them for a much longer period of time.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Dec 26, 2016 05:52 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #5

Good point, Tom.

Rog

2,006 views & 4 likes for this thread
waste under the feeder (s)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.