Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 10:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How Often Do You Crop?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,315 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Charlie.
Dec 28, 2016 12:09 |  #16

depending on how I intend to print/display, a 2x3 can be cropped to 16:9 and 21:9 often. Sometimes, verticals skewed and needs correction, so crop. Camera not level, so crop.

Shooting fast pace activities slightly wider to have a buffer? Sure, on occasion.

Focal length limited crops, hardly ever.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 8 months ago by airfrogusmc.
Dec 28, 2016 12:12 |  #17

I print myself. With the price of printers being where they are at why not and I would;t trust that part of the process to anyone else. I am usually making a change or two after I make my first print anyway. A backlit image (monitor) doesn't always look the same as a print. Also usually 12 X 18 on 13 X 19 paper. I also cut my own mats.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,676 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 28, 2016 12:15 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18225710 (external link)
...and then for THIS particular practice, you have to find a commercial outfit that will print the photo to fit their standard size that works with a matte with 3:2 cutout.
For example, I had a landscape shot which THEY trimmed off the top and bottom from the image on the print. I had to wrestle with them over the phone to print the horizontal portion of the image to fit the long dimension of the 14x17" paper, leaving white space at the top and bottom.

I always resize the actual image file to have any borders I want so that the final image is exactly the size they are printing, complete with the borders where I want them and as thick as I want them. However I also print my own images and cut my own mats, so it is lot less of a concern for me these days.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
38,864 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 28, 2016 12:20 |  #19

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18225713 (external link)
I print myself. With the price of printers being where they are at why not and I would;t trust that part of the process to anyone else. I am usually making a change or two after I make my first print anyway. A backlit image (monitor) doesn't always look the same as a print. Also usually 12 X 18 on 13 X 19 paper. I also cut my own mats.

Not all of us can afford the expense of a large format printer, with at most only 13x19" because of a Canon bundle offer!
So you have to go to a commercial service to get 30x40" prints, or even 16x24".

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
38,864 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Dec 28, 2016 12:21 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18225721 (external link)
I always resize the actual image file to have any borders I want so that the final image is exactly the size they are printing, complete with the borders where I want them and as thick as I want them. However I also print my own images and cut my own mats, so it is lot less of a concern for me these days.

I now do the same as well...but that first 11x30" was a learning experience.
In the preceding post I already commented about not being able to print all your own prints.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Dec 28, 2016 12:23 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #18225723 (external link)
Not all of us can afford the expense of a large format printer, with at most only 13x19" because of a Canon bundle offer!
So you have to go to a commercial service to get 30x40" prints, or even 16x24".

Personally I've always liked WHCC, but I'm still more a hobby shooter with some occasional paid shoots.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.comexternal link
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,558 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Dec 28, 2016 12:27 |  #22

Pretty much all the time. I like 4:3 aspect, so a bit always gets cropped. The "excess" coverage gives me some framing latitude.

Mark J.
Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,676 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Dec 28, 2016 12:52 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #18225724 (external link)
I now do the same as well...but that first 11x30" was a learning experience.
In the preceding post I already commented about not being able to print all your own prints.

Sure with larger prints, or specialized medium, then I would make sure to size and border the image files so that the service provider doesn't have to do anything aspect ratio-wise. I have been liking the larger metal prints, they are coming out pretty nicely.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,561 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Dec 28, 2016 12:58 |  #24

I crop just about every photo to some degree. Many of my compositions end up as squares; I haven't figured out why, but if that's what looks best, I go with it.

Wilt
38,864 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Dec 28, 2016 13:00 |  #25

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #18225725 (external link)
Personally I've always liked WHCC, but I'm still more a hobby shooter with some occasional paid shoots.

I just had chat with WHCC, and just like the other vendor I have used, if I had an image area of about 3000 x 10000 pixels, and wanted them to print it on a 20" x 30" standard size paper, they would prefer I fill in the top and bottom area with white (blank) and submit a 6660 x 10000 pixel file to them.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,676 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 28, 2016 13:16 |  #26

For those that might not be sure how to do this, here are 2 quick screen shots in Photoshop. First, I crop with the dimension I want at the DPI I want. Then I resize the canvas to the final print's height * DPI and width * DPI using the canvas resizing option.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,804 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Dec 28, 2016 13:18 |  #27

To sum up: it seems that how often people crop depends on (1) what they shoot, (2) whether they make prints, and (3) whether they have wives.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by scriveyn. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 28, 2016 13:22 |  #28

I crop frequently. The reasons are manifold.

I think it provides a great reservoir for creativity.

Also other reasons mentioned here apply to me too:
- live events shooting
- perspective adjustments
- adapting to standard print sizes (when I want to hang a series of images)
- cropping for reach (e.g. wildlife, street)

But most fun is cropping for creativity. I often sit in my armchair of an evening and edit images just for the fun of it. Making alternative edits from one image, even making two images from one shot occasionally. I find it more fun than just hanging "final" edits on the wall.

PS.: no wives involved in the making/editing of my photographs :-D

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Dec 28, 2016 13:52 |  #29

I mostly bird/wildlife & do airshow photography.....I therefore crop almost every image.

Gear List

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Dec 28, 2016 14:00 |  #30

Wilt wrote in post #18225753 (external link)
I just had chat with WHCC, and just like the other vendor I have used, if I had an image area of about 3000 x 10000 pixels, and wanted them to print it on a 20" x 30" standard size paper, they would prefer I fill in the top and bottom area with white (blank) and submit a 6660 x 10000 pixel file to them.

Wilt can you not get any panoramic aspect ratios from your lab? I ask because both of the Pro labs that I use, mostly DS Colour labs (external link), but also Whitewall (external link), both offer panoramic format prints. For example for C-Type prints from DSCL they offer prints up to 12" wide on the basic machines, so as standard you can order 24/30/32/34/36×12 prints, as well as 28×11. I'm pretty sure the 28×11 is also printed on 12" paper, and may or may not need cropping by you. I've had them do a 24×12 for me in the past, and it came out really well. The only problem is getting it framed, as it needs a custom frame/mat to look the best.

Personally I usually stick to 3:2 for my images if I am posting them online, but I am also happy to use other ratios, including custom ones if it makes sense. I usually print at 16×12, since I can get OK plain wood frames at 20×16 complete with a mat for 16×12 for only £7.50 each. They used to be glass fronted, but are now perspex. With the cheap frame, and the prints only costing £1.20 each, including our 20% VAT sales tax, plus £4.50 standard delivery, which is usually next day including saturdays, even on my disability benefit I can afford to have plenty of framed prints on the wall. For many of my aviation subjects I am often focal length limited, even at 600mm, I would need a 900mm lens to come close to filling the APS-C frame for a lot of my shots. So yes I do need to crop a lot of images.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,918 views & 30 likes for this thread
How Often Do You Crop?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.