Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Dec 27, 2016 19:02 |  #8776

I think I like this one more than the first just because of how much more I see, even though I'm a sucker for one point perspectives.

I would have cloned out the neighbors garbage can if I was going to keep that much detail in the window. I hate garbage cans :D

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

sponsored links
erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Dec 27, 2016 19:06 |  #8777

seaLere wrote in post #18225106 (external link)
I think I like this one more than the first just because of how much more I see, even though I'm a sucker for one point perspectives.

I would have cloned out the neighbors garbage can if I was going to keep that much detail in the window. I hate garbage cans :D

Ugh I know, there's not a whole lot of source to clone from but I thought about doing it. On the first image I changed the color to gray just so it doesn't jump out and will probably just do the same here.

5DIV | 5DII | T2i | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 16-35 f/4L IS | Sigma Art 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 85 f/1.4

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,640 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Dec 27, 2016 20:44 as a reply to erk's post |  #8778

Looks like the same stone as on the gable. Might be able to clone from there.

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Dec 27, 2016 21:53 |  #8779

golfecho wrote in post #18225209 (external link)
Looks like the same stone as on the gable. Might be able to clone from there.

You my friend, have a keen eye! Can't believe I didn't notice that. Thanks!

5DIV | 5DII | T2i | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 16-35 f/4L IS | Sigma Art 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 85 f/1.4

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Dec 28, 2016 15:15 |  #8780

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Post has been edited 9 months ago by seaLere.
Dec 28, 2016 15:26 |  #8781

s1a1om wrote in post #18225877 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by s1a1om in
./showthread.php?p=182​25877&i=i96609910
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

I'm not sure if this is a real estate shot or just an abstract shot but there is way too much going on here for me, especially if it's a shot for somebody else. It's hard to tell if it's HDR or how it was processed. The shadows all over the home are distracting and I would have personally done something to make the different colors of windows less obviously. I'm also not a big fan of the stars as I'm not sure if the sky or the house is supposed to be the focal point of the image. My eye just doesn't know what to do when I look at it. If artificial lighting was added I would be sure to watch the direction it's coming from. The way the light is shining on the house/front of the bushes makes it seem like somebody is parked in front of the house lighting it up with headlights or something.

I think this would be better suited as a painting.

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Dec 28, 2016 15:58 |  #8782

seaLere wrote in post #18225893 (external link)
I'm not sure if this is a real estate shot or just an abstract shot but there is way too much going on here for me, especially if it's a shot for somebody else. It's hard to tell if it's HDR or how it was processed. The shadows all over the home are distracting and I would have personally done something to make the different colors of windows less obviously. I'm also not a big fan of the stars as I'm not sure if the sky or the house is supposed to be the focal point of the image. My eye just doesn't know what to do when I look at it. If artificial lighting was added I would be sure to watch the direction it's coming from. The way the light is shining on the house/front of the bushes makes it seem like somebody is parked in front of the house lighting it up with headlights or something.

I think this would be better suited as a painting.

I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to try photographing a house and getting the stars in the sky. It was 2 exposures. The first shot makes up the majority of the image, while the second brought back some detail to the windows. No artifical lighting was added. The light on the house comes from the neighbor's house across the street and a few streetlamps, which as you noted add some intense (and chaotic) shadows.

I also didn't notice when I was taking the photos, but you are right about the colors in the windows. Each room is painted different colors, which tinted the light coming from them.

Perhaps next time I could try taking the photo in a portrait orientation to get more of the sky in, so it draws your attention more to the sky (assuming that's what I want).

erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Dec 28, 2016 16:17 |  #8783

s1a1om wrote in post #18225912 (external link)
I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to try photographing a house and getting the stars in the sky. It was 2 exposures. The first shot makes up the majority of the image, while the second brought back some detail to the windows. No artifical lighting was added. The light on the house comes from the neighbor's house across the street and a few streetlamps, which as you noted add some intense (and chaotic) shadows.

I also didn't notice when I was taking the photos, but you are right about the colors in the windows. Each room is painted different colors, which tinted the light coming from them.

Perhaps next time I could try taking the photo in a portrait orientation to get more of the sky in, so it draws your attention more to the sky (assuming that's what I want).

Yeah if those shadows are being cast by a neighbor's house there's not much you can do there short of overpowering them with your own lighting or blocking the light somehow. They are pretty harsh, must be security lighting or something? Opening the blinds and drapes would help with the different colors to an extent, you could also do a window layer and add a solid color layer or colorize or... whatever method you prefer of the millions of techniques in PS haha. Overall I think the brightness of the house is a bit much for the sky but I see what you're trying to do. Subtlety is your friend in these type of shots. Also watch those converging lines, a quick skew in photoshop would go a long way.

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Dec 28, 2016 19:42 |  #8784

HOSTED PHOTO

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 28, 2016 19:45 |  #8785

s1a1om wrote in post #18226054 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=182​26054&i=i132092420

That's some serious HDR treatment, looks unnatural

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Dec 28, 2016 22:18 |  #8786

RE agents want to show how the rooms flow together and permanent features such as windows, doors, floors so a wider angle shot would be more successful. This style of HDR look has really died out in my market.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Dec 28, 2016 23:20 |  #8787

I agree. I say avoid HDR completely....it should have died out everywhere already.

In terms of composition, I would say keep things like that table too close from the frame. The table looks warped/crooked. Sometimes circular shapes near the edge of frames are tough to deal with. (clocks, etc)

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Dec 29, 2016 00:20 |  #8788

Perhaps it was overprocessed, but the HDR effect in it was minimal. Here is a single exposure of the room with no HDR effects (or tone mapping). As you can see the main difference is the dearth of exterior details, which were brought back a bit with a second exposure in the first image. The fire looks a bit better in this one, but very similar. The shadows are also slightly darker, but I could have brought those up to match the first. I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the image was overprocessed, just showing that it doesn't seem (to me) to really be an effect of the HDR used to bring back some outside details. If you disagree, please help me to see what I'm missing. I'm still very new and learn a lot from everyone's comments.

HOSTED PHOTO

erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Dec 29, 2016 00:53 |  #8789

s1a1om wrote in post #18226205 (external link)
Perhaps it was overprocessed, but the HDR effect in it was minimal. Here is a single exposure of the room with no HDR effects (or tone mapping). As you can see the main difference is the dearth of exterior details, which were brought back a bit with a second exposure in the first image. The fire looks a bit better in this one, but very similar. The shadows are also slightly darker, but I could have brought those up to match the first. I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the image was overprocessed, just showing that it doesn't seem (to me) to really be an effect of the HDR used to bring back some outside details. If you disagree, please help me to see what I'm missing. I'm still very new and learn a lot from everyone's comments.

Ah okay so it's the processing (in lightroom?) that is causing that look. My advice is to basically never touch the clarity slider, it essentially causes the same issues that HDR does and is way too easy to go overboard with. I understand that the far wall/fireplace/overall scene is very similar in hue and value, so it's tempting to use a heavy hand when adjusting micro-contrast, but subtlety is your friend here.

Another element that needs to be addressed is your camera positioning: when doing a one-point perspective it is critical to make sure your camera is level (press the info button a couple times and you should find the digital level) and and completely perpendicular to the opposing walls/features. The horizontal lines in this image slope down to the right, especially the fireplace, and the verticals are out of whack, it gives it a real funhouse feel. Also make sure to check the 'enable lens profile correction' box in lightroom to get rid of the barrel distortion.

Overall I like the mood of the image, and the framing for the most part, it's a strong composition (not the best if if it's for real estate but for promotional material it's great) but it's the heavy-handedness with the processing and the skewed lines that prevent it from being a fantastic image.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Dec 29, 2016 01:30 |  #8790

erk wrote in post #18226225 (external link)
Ah okay so it's the processing (in lightroom?) that is causing that look. My advice is to basically never touch the clarity slider, it essentially causes the same issues that HDR does and is way too easy to go overboard with. I understand that the far wall/fireplace/overall scene is very similar in hue and value, so it's tempting to use a heavy hand when adjusting micro-contrast, but subtlety is your friend here.

Another element that needs to be addressed is your camera positioning: when doing a one-point perspective it is critical to make sure your camera is level (press the info button a couple times and you should find the digital level) and and completely perpendicular to the opposing walls/features. The horizontal lines in this image slope down to the right, especially the fireplace, and the verticals are out of whack, it gives it a real funhouse feel. Also make sure to check the 'enable lens profile correction' box in lightroom to get rid of the barrel distortion.

Overall I like the mood of the image, and the framing for the most part, it's a strong composition (not the best if if it's for real estate but for promotional material it's great) but it's the heavy-handedness with the processing and the skewed lines that prevent it from being a fantastic image.

Solid info here.

The one point compositions are fantastic shots (not the best for real-estate generally but very aesthetic images overall) but in doing so, you have to be exactly straight on and level or else it's not worth doing them.

sponsored links

1,163,361 views & 1125 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.