Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Dec 22, 2016 22:42 |  #4996

^^^^^Very nice.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links
2loose
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
I Heart NY & T-Dot
Dec 23, 2016 10:15 as a reply to M_Six's post |  #4997

Body:Canon EOS-1D x, Fujifilm X-T1
Lenses: Canon EF 14mm f2.8L II, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L II, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II, Canon TC 1.4X III, Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS, Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R

flickr (external link)

remotehuman
I'm not into that
Joined Nov 2010
Quincy, MA
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by remotehuman. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 25, 2016 18:12 |  #4998

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/669/31838369566_eee3f753f5_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QvrY​3j] (external link)Old State House (external link) by Max Youmans (external link), on Flickr

LEE Little stopper and circular polarizer used

Just picked this lens up, used it for a little bit earlier this year but hoping to hold onto it longer now. I realized how much I want the 17mm already after being in some tight spaces trying to shoot a few buildings.

Max | Gear | flickr (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Dec 25, 2016 19:35 |  #4999

Still have some converging verticals in that image though.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

remotehuman
I'm not into that
Joined Nov 2010
Quincy, MA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by remotehuman.
Dec 25, 2016 21:27 |  #5000

TRhoads wrote in post #18223534 (external link)

Yeah, iirc I maxed the upwards shift and needed to angle the camera body downwards some but the center building would have been right on the edge of the frame and I don't like that. I could have walked back a bit but there would have been some street signs in my way.

Or was it move the camera body up? I don't remember.

Max | Gear | flickr (external link)

2loose
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
I Heart NY & T-Dot
Dec 28, 2016 22:11 |  #5001

IMHO, the prettiest city in Canada, Old Quebec, QC

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/282/31110049844_4d4e88297f_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/562/31576886020_5a403cbf87_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/608/31576886680_2a4573133c_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/531/31802362952_3cf0baeeeb_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/327/31576887360_cbd1de941d_o.jpg

Lenses: Canon EF 14mm f2.8L II, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L II, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II, Canon TC 1.4X III, Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS, Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R

flickr (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Dec 29, 2016 22:36 |  #5002

^^^^Was last in Quebec in the early 70's. I really want to get back there again. Great shots.

Mark J.
Gear

dasmith232
Joined Nov 2012
Colorado, USA
Dec 29, 2016 23:42 |  #5003

TRhoads wrote in post #18223534 (external link)

While eliminating any convergence is a stated goal of shift lenses, I personally find that leaving a tiny bit of convergence to be more pleasing, or at least acceptable. I really dislike the typical convergence of an uncontrolled, wide angle pointed up, but I think we find some convergence to be normal.

It's totally a matter of personal taste, and the target audience. For an architecture-aware audience, full correction. For a casual audience, maybe not always?

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

Savethemoment
Joined Jun 2012
Sydney, Australia
Dec 30, 2016 05:32 |  #5004

dasmith232 wrote in post #18227324 (external link)
While eliminating any convergence is a stated goal of shift lenses, I personally find that leaving a tiny bit of convergence to be more pleasing, or at least acceptable. I really dislike the typical convergence of an uncontrolled, wide angle pointed up, but I think we find some convergence to be normal.

I agree, I think it looks really odd to eliminate all convergence; the results simply don't match the way our eyes see things like tall buildings!

Of course photography is often very much about creating effects we don't see in the same way with our eyes, like OOF blur or long exposure glassiness. But surely when using TS lenses for architecture, the aim isn't to show structures which look strange because their verticals are perfectly aligned?

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

windpig
Chopped liver
14,592 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Dec 30, 2016 05:46 |  #5005

It's totally a matter of personal taste, and the target audience. For an architecture-aware audience, full correction. For a casual audience, maybe not always?

Savethemoment wrote in post #18227463 (external link)
I agree, I think it looks really odd to eliminate all convergence; the results simply don't match the way our eyes see things like tall buildings!

Of course photography is often very much about creating effects we don't see in the same way with our eyes, like OOF blur or long exposure glassiness. But surely when using TS lenses for architecture, the aim isn't to show structures which look strange because their verticals are perfectly aligned?

This and this

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

2loose
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
I Heart NY & T-Dot
Dec 30, 2016 08:04 |  #5006

M_Six wrote in post #18227278 (external link)
^^^^Was last in Quebec in the early 70's. I really want to get back there again. Great shots.

Thanks! You should go there, especially during Christmas, it's one of the best Christmas town in the world, such a pretty little town.

We will go back again next summer.

flickr (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Alveric.
Dec 30, 2016 09:04 |  #5007

Savethemoment wrote in post #18227463 (external link)

The aim is not so much to keep the verticals perfectly vertical, but to represent the building as close to reality as possible AND in a pleasing manner. Keystoning must be eliminated, yes, but I've also found that as buildings get tall and taller a very small amount of it needs to be reintroduced (in post-processing, usually) in order to present the subjects as the eye sees them. Usually these 'artificial keystoning' is in the order of decimals of a degree and so it doesn't negate the benefits of a perspective correction lens, nor does it make such lenses obsolete or unnecessary. The amount of reintroduced keystoning is directly proportional to the height of the building and/or how close the camera was to it.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Savethemoment
Joined Jun 2012
Sydney, Australia
Dec 30, 2016 17:43 |  #5008

Alveric wrote in post #18227603 (external link)
The aim is not so much to keep the verticals perfectly vertical, but to represent the building as close to reality as possible AND in a pleasing manner. Keystoning must be eliminated, yes, but I've also found that as buildings get tall and taller a very small amount of it needs to be reintroduced (in post-processing, usually) in order to present the subjects as the eye sees them. Usually these 'artificial keystoning' is in the order of decimals of a degree and so it doesn't negate the benefits of a perspective correction lens, nor does it make such lenses obsolete or unnecessary. The amount of reintroduced keystoning is directly proportional to the height of the building and/or how close the camera was to it.

Yes the keystoning which occurs with tall buildings and normal lenses is annoying, it'd be nice to have TS lenses to minimise it (although for my own photography needs that would be a crazy extravagance). I've never used a TS lens and am curious about the idea of adding a a small amount of keystoning back in post - is trying to leave a bit in when taking the shot just too fiddly to be practical?

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

windpig
Chopped liver
14,592 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Dec 30, 2016 18:49 |  #5009

Savethemoment wrote in post #18228130 (external link)
is trying to leave a bit in when taking the shot just too fiddly to be practical?

No, it's a piece of cake. Using the shift feature is very simple.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Jan 09, 2017 04:22 |  #5010

Three vertical frames stitched - honestly sometimes I wonder if I could get away with two, even if they are +10 and -10 a part.... ?

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/337/32198507325_b2b545a16d_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R4gL​s2] (external link)Edinburgh - Christmas on Princes Street (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link
5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

sponsored links

1,115,783 views & 1312 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.