Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews
Thread started 25 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 01:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Think Tank Photo TurnStyle 20, reviewed by mike_d

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND mike_d (showing now: mike_d)
Overall Rating9
Value for Money9
Must Have9
Got What I Expected9
Build Quality10
Carrying Comfort10
Fast Shooting9
Durability10
Compartment Logic8
Versatility9
Securityn/a
not rated
Weather Protectionn/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Think Tank Photo TurnStyle 20

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by mike_d.
Nov 25, 2015 01:31 |  #1

This is my first sling bag. I've had it for about a year and a half and I really like it. Before getting this bag, I used a Think Tank Retrospective 30. The Retro can hold more gear than I really want to carry on one shoulder and like shoulder bags in general, it tends to swing around easily when I bend or stretch to get a shot or grab my toddler.

The TurnStyle 20 forces me to be a little more selective about what I carry, which my shoulder appreciates. For me, this is a body + 2 lenses + 1 flash bag which is perfect most of the time. The wider end accommodates my 100-400 or 70-200 f/4. The middle end holds my 5D3 mounted to a shorter zoom such as the 24-105 or 17-40. The narrow end could hold a smaller prime like the 50/1.4 or 15 mm fisheye, but it usually holds my 580EXII. Re-moving at least one of the dividers would allow the camera to lay sideways with one of the longer zooms mounted. This all without a battery grip on the camera. The only way I've carried a gripped body is unmounted: 100-400 in the big end, body in the middle on its left side.

The bag sits on my left shoulder and is fairly easy to spin around under my right arm to access. When shooting, I carry my camera on an OpTech sling strap, also on my left shoulder, so it hangs at my right hand. I thought this would be awkward at first, but its surprising not. The bag goes on first so the camera's strap is on top.

The TT's strap is easily adjustable to accommodate different sized people, jackets, etc. Snug it up and its not going anywhere. The padding in the back is very nice and comfortable.

The TurnStyle can also be used as a belt pack but I have not used it this way. It has an iPad pocket but I don't use that either. Its handy for sticking papers in though. With a 70-200, 5D3+24-105, and a big flash, the bag is pretty stuffed so adding a 10" iPad is a tight fit.

I only have a couple of complaints. I wish the accessory compartment on the outside of the bag opened more fully. Access to the wide end of the compartment can be a little difficult when the main compartment is loaded.

This is the largest bag in the TurnStyle series, but I actually wish it were just a tiny big bigger. Not so I can carry more gear, but so access is a little easier. With the camera mounted to the 24-105, with the hood in shooting position, the RRS L-plate installed, and the large Hoodman eye cup, the zipper just barely closes. I know removing any of the accessories would help, but that's how I like my gear. So even an extra 1/2" would probably be perfect.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by 2mnycars.
Feb 15, 2016 15:43 |  #2

Good review. I have used mine for a couple of years

It now carries my Sony a6000 with 24-240 mounted, and my Sony RX100--2.

It's an easy bag to work with.

I have worn out one bag, and am on my second. This bag is so good I can pick it up by the strap, with zipper open, and it doesn't throw my gear out.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

mfturner
Joined Mar 2013
Longmont, CO
Dec 29, 2016 22:23 |  #3

I just got myself one, I really like it so far, it is a great size for my gear. I can fit my 60D, 300f4L, 100f2 and 40f2.8 in it loosely, or jammed packed with my old EX 550 flash. It allows the 60D to ride with the 300f4L mounted along with the other two lenses inside the main compartment, with or without my Tamron 1.4x teleconverter, which is what I wanted. It is large enough to allow me to change lenses inside the main compartment, which I also wanted, without being so large that I'm tempted to find more stuff to put inside it. I agree with your ratings, including the slightly lower "compartment logic" rating. For me a few extra velcro dividers would help contain my other two smaller lenses better, they slip around the larger dividers. A small modular bag with exterior velcro would be ideal for me, I may make one.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Post has been edited 10 months ago by 2mnycars.
Feb 03, 2017 18:57 |  #4

I've had two of these. It's an amazing bag.

i've picked it up unzipped. nothing fell out
I know that's not smart. But it happened and the bag saved my gear.

It works with my d300s, 70-300vr mounted, and 18-200vr carried within. and it carries my ipad in two spots

Great sling

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

3,263 views & 2 likes for this thread
Think Tank Photo TurnStyle 20, reviewed by mike_d
FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.